Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-11-2011, 10:12 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I'm With Gene

Yep, this is Global Warming. Warmer air holds more moisture, more moisture produces more rain and snow. Ocean currents change due to warmer waters and this changes pressure systems throughout the globe. Different pressure systems change normal air stream patterns. The normal jet stream in North America this time of year generally blows from west to east. This year it has taken a big dip in the central part of the nation allowing cold air from the north to pool down as far as New Mexico.

Just because it is cold at your place doesn't mean we are not dealing with the global warming phenomenon. Oh, and more moisture in the atmosphere also produces stronger storms like hurricanes and tornadoes. We are going to be looking at this for a long time.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:40 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
tonkawa , Oklahoma
Yes both trailers have the water lines heat taped and covered with foam pipe insulation. My son's trailer thawed out today. He has water lines under his floor and it is not heated. All our water lines are above the floor and the holding tanks are forced-air heated. We had a similar problem with our furnace last winter. It wouldn't light when it got in the teens because it couldn't draw enough DC power to open the sail switch. Between a new circuit board and a new converter it has worked fine. I know about the half sleeping with one ear cocked to hear the furnace ignite.
$hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:43 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Springfield , Missouri
YAY!!! February Thaw!!!!

Seems like we're about to get that 'break' I've been praying for. Temps were up to mid 30s today - tomorrow we're supposed to be mid 40s - then 50s for Sunday. Monday and Tuesday are supposed to reach mid 60s!!! Wahoo!!! Breaking out the grill, shopping for BIG steaks!!! I could move right into spring - but doubt that will happen yet - still have the rest of Feb. then March - and possibly April - but maybe it won't be quite so cold for the rest of it!

Last night the furnace quit again. I guess it didn't really 'quit' - just that the furnace shut off and the blower kept going. All it took was for the thermostat to be turned off, then back on. I'm now thinking that part of this is in the circuit board. The new circuit boards attempt starting 3 times. This one (old) in our furnace only tries once. The debate now is 'try to nurse this through the rest of the winter' or 'start shopping for the new furnace' - and shopping for a new one is winning because this one is 1990 which means that the furnace could have been made well before that -.....

The eBay deal on the dehumidifier was bad. I paid for a new dehumidifier - got a 7 y/o one from the seller - and eBay/Paypal is siding with the seller. I promised to 'bad mouth' them every chance I got (so here's my first posting). Don't think eBay will be getting anymore of my business - all I ended up doing was wasting $80. which isn't the end of the world but doesn't do a lot for my disposition. Dehumidifier will be bought new - with a manufacturers warranty - but it will have to wait a while. I am finding that if I vent enough (hot air outside) the condensation isn't a problem - so I'm asking myself if I need it anyway - I know I won't need it in a/c season -

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!!! I'll be grilling a big fat medium rare steak - did I say thick?????

bugnot1 - jan
bugnot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:02 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by $hide
Yes both trailers have the water lines heat taped and covered with foam pipe insulation. My son's trailer thawed out today. He has water lines under his floor and it is not heated. All our water lines are above the floor and the holding tanks are forced-air heated. We had a similar problem with our furnace last winter. It wouldn't light when it got in the teens because it couldn't draw enough DC power to open the sail switch. Between a new circuit board and a new converter it has worked fine. I know about the half sleeping with one ear cocked to hear the furnace ignite.
Glad someone else has experienced that - we put in a new sail switch - in fact the only original things in the furnace is the ignitor, circuit board, & burner. It's been out and on the work bench 15 times......I'm not ready to turn it into a piece of yard sculpture.....

At least we're going to have a break in the weather -

bugnot1
jab
bugnot1 is offline   Reply With Quote