Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #1
Airstreamer

2012 27' FB International
Bellevue , Washington
Unhappy Worried SICK about possible frozen pipes

Please forgive me if I am not posting this in the correct spot of "Winter Living."

My question is "how can you tell if you have frozen pipes," and will the frozen pipes then be damaged?

I am so worried sick right now about my Airstream. She is in my driveway, plugged in and the furance has been running (at 55) for a few days while the temps here in Seattle have hovered in the 30's. Also, I've made sure to keep the hot water tank on. I watched a movie inside of her last night and everything was toasty warm. Upon my departure I checked the propane tanks. One was empty and the other one was full. Great! One full tank, yay!

Not really -- dingbat me () forgot about the lever that you can switch to point to either tank to "activate" that tank. It was still set pointed to the empty tank as I just discovered now as I went out to check on her. The temperature outside is 27 degrees.

My question, is -- how will I know if I have damaged pipes? Will the water start spilling out all over the floor or will it be "hidden?"

Also, is the fact that I still had super hot water in my tank a good sign? Meaning, there must have been some propane left in the "empty" tank (we have those propane fuel measuring devices on each tank so it tells me if it is if full or empty) in order to keep the hot water tank going?

I'm so sorry if I sound like a crazy person, I am just so, so worried!

Thank you my friends.

PS I guess I should mention I have a 2006 Safari
Old 01-19-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' International
2015 25' FB International
Milwaukie , Oregon
Thought about you this week after seeing the nasty weather Seattle has been getting. We had a bit of it too in Portland and we decided to sleep outside during the nights. We kept ours warm with an electric heater and left the cupboards and doors open to let the heat in. No help from me, but our pipes seem to be fine....Hope yours are, too!

Hope you guys thaw out soon!!

The Small Small Trailer
valmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by J5MM View Post
Please forgive me if I am not posting this in the correct spot of "Winter Living."

My question is "how can you tell if you have frozen pipes," and will the frozen pipes then be damaged?

I am so worried sick right now about my Airstream. She is in my driveway, plugged in and the furance has been running (at 55) for a few days while the temps here in Seattle have hovered in the 30's. Also, I've made sure to keep the hot water tank on. I watched a movie inside of her last night and everything was toasty warm. Upon my departure I checked the propane tanks. One was empty and the other one was full. Great! One full tank, yay!

Not really -- dingbat me () forgot about the lever that you can switch to point to either tank to "activate" that tank. It was still set pointed to the empty tank as I just discovered now as I went out to check on her. The temperature outside is 27 degrees.

My question, is -- how will I know if I have damaged pipes? Will the water start spilling out all over the floor or will it be "hidden?"

Also, is the fact that I still had super hot water in my tank a good sign? Meaning, there must have been some propane left in the "empty" tank (we have those propane fuel measuring devices on each tank so it tells me if it is if full or empty) in order to keep the hot water tank going?

I'm so sorry if I sound like a crazy person, I am just so, so worried!

Thank you my friends.

PS I guess I should mention I have a 2006 Safari
You will likely be fine. It will take some extended be days of below freezing temps to cause trouble. A good test for burst pipes is to turn on the pump(with water in the fresh tank). If it pressurizes and shuts off you're ok. If it continues to run you likely have a problem. I'm bettin' you're OK.
John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:10 PM   #4
Airstreamer

Bellevue , Washington
Okay, okay this is good news so far -- thanks Kim and John. I'm heading out right not to check my pump!
Old 01-19-2012, 07:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
My money is your ok. If the trailer has been warm, it would take two or three days in the teens to freeze anything hard enough to break.

Temp for pure water to freeze is 32, water with anything in it has to be even colder (read hard city water here.)

Let us know how the pump test turns out.

Best of Luck,

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:26 PM   #6
Airstreamer

Bellevue , Washington
Thank you John, so much. You have completely helped me and I so much want to thank you from the bottom of my heart!! I turned the pump off and then turned it back on. The pump cycled just once and the pressure of the water was as usual. I even ran the shower (which you know, when you run the water the pump pressurizes at intervals) and it works like a charm.

I.
Am.
Relieved.

Thank you soooooooooooo much!!!!

Monica

PS You should see the size of the icicles hanging off of my Airstream. Incredible!
Old 01-19-2012, 07:28 PM   #7
Airstreamer

Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple View Post
My money is your ok. If the trailer has been warm, it would take two or three days in the teens to freeze anything hard enough to break.

Temp for pure water to freeze is 32, water with anything in it has to be even colder (read hard city water here.)

Let us know how the pump test turns out.

Best of Luck,
Thank you so much!! The pump test passed with flying colors. I was literally in tears over this situation. All day long I was at home (we are stuck here due to the snow and school closures and not being able to drive anywhere) and I was just kicking myself for not going out sooner.

LESSON LEARNED.

Thank you for the information about the water freezing temps too -- very helpful.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:39 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
It sounds like you're doing all the right things. At best (or is it at worst?), you might want to open your cabinet doors at night: Under the sink, under the bathroom sink, anywhere that water pipes and tanks exist.

But I'll bet you're going to be just fine. I suspect that newer Airstreams use PEX, which is pretty forgiving stuff.

Lynn
Old 01-19-2012, 08:17 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
You know, I totally misread that thread title as "Worried SICK about frozen pies"...

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:21 PM   #10
Airstreamer

Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
It sounds like you're doing all the right things. At best (or is it at worst?), you might want to open your cabinet doors at night: Under the sink, under the bathroom sink, anywhere that water pipes and tanks exist.

But I'll bet you're going to be just fine. I suspect that newer Airstreams use PEX, which is pretty forgiving stuff.

Lynn
Thank you so much, I try so hard to do the right things which is why I was so upset with myself about the overlook on the propane switch/dial/selector thingy. Your words mean a lot to me and bring comfort! What a night, seesh!
Old 01-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #11
Airstreamer

Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlee View Post
You know, I totally misread that thread title as "Worried SICK about frozen pies"...
Okay, that is hilarious!! I am so glad to be laughing right now instead of crying...
Old 01-19-2012, 08:38 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
I have pies on the brain at the moment.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by J5MM View Post
Thank you so much, I try so hard to do the right things which is why I was so upset with myself about the overlook on the propane switch/dial/selector thingy. Your words mean a lot to me and bring comfort! What a night, seesh!
Monica,

On our 2011 International the gas regulator, the thing with the switch that sits between the two LPG tanks, is automatic in as much as whichever way the lever is facing, when one tank runs out the other kicks in automatically (assuming it has some LPG in it). You only need to switch the lever when you're disconnecting a tank. Of course on your slightly earlier model that might not be the case but it may be worth checking if you have your manual.

Frozen pies, eh? I had a few bad ones in the past but none that have reduced me to tears.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlee View Post
I have pies on the brain at the moment.
Sadly, I have pies on my waistline

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Frozen pies, eh? I had a few bad ones in the past but none that have reduced me to tears.
LOL! I'll make you a few more, Mr. Toad! We'll just see if we can't manage that weeping...

Old 01-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
The water lines are not the only things that have water in them that can freeze. Remember your sink and more importantly the shower trap in the drain lines. Simple to protect - just pour RV antifreeze in them to displace most of the water. One gallon lasts me a couple of years for this purpose. Water tank needs to be drained. One more thing to check - the fridge drain line and the AC drain pan. The AC pan should be empty but check the fridge drain to make sure it does not have a kink in it inside the fridge compartment that will hold water.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:58 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
P.S. Slightly more seriously, tomorrow I'm going to make lemon curd to bring with me. For, yes, pies as well as the morning toast.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:08 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Birmingham , Alabama
Maybe now is the time to drain the water and blow the water lines out with compressed air. Use the rv antifreeze in the traps. Or add a small electric heater and set the furnace to its lowest temperature.
gwchitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:57 AM   #19
Airstreamer

Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
Monica,

On our 2011 International the gas regulator, the thing with the switch that sits between the two LPG tanks, is automatic in as much as whichever way the lever is facing, when one tank runs out the other kicks in automatically (assuming it has some LPG in it). You only need to switch the lever when you're disconnecting a tank. Of course on your slightly earlier model that might not be the case but it may be worth checking if you have your manual.

Wow, this is really, really good to know -- but I'm not sure ours has this great feature. When I checked the tank upon my departure -- the full tank was, well completely full. Then yesterday when I discovered what I had done (er--not done) the full tank, was still full -- if it went through any amount of propane, the reading should have gone down even just a little.

But who knows, because if it was running on an empty tank -- why was my water heater on and still heating?

I'm definitely going to call Airstream (of Spokane) and see what the dealio is with my switch.

Thank you soooo much!!
Old 01-20-2012, 09:04 AM   #20
Airstreamer

Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy View Post
The water lines are not the only things that have water in them that can freeze. Remember your sink and more importantly the shower trap in the drain lines. Simple to protect - just pour RV antifreeze in them to displace most of the water. One gallon lasts me a couple of years for this purpose. Water tank needs to be drained. One more thing to check - the fridge drain line and the AC drain pan. The AC pan should be empty but check the fridge drain to make sure it does not have a kink in it inside the fridge compartment that will hold water.
I have a gallon of that pink stuff in my garage. It's useless in my garage -- so thank you -- this morning upon waking, guess what I did? Poured it down those drains.

As for the fridge, as you referring to that white drain line that comes from the cooling racks (or whatever you call them)?? Is that what I am checking for kinks?

Sorry, hubby is usually better at these things than me but I can't reach him to ask (stuck at a ski area due to road closures -- and no reception)!

Thank you so much for your help.

Tags
frozen pipes