Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-14-2005, 05:38 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

winter trip gas, desel and LP

I have a new yamaha generator thats 3500 watts. question is would it be ok safe to run in in the bed of the truck with a camper shell as long as the back is open and the rear window facing the cab of truck open also.
As long as the extra fuel is sealed tight. Or would it be a problem, say at a rest stop, unloading all the fuel and putting a steel cable through them and place them next to the camper?
I would prefer to leave them in the back of the truck while the generator is running just to keep anything happening to them while out side the truck.
imagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 05:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine
I have a new yamaha generator thats 3500 watts. question is would it be ok safe to run in in the bed of the truck with a camper shell as long as the back is open and the rear window facing the cab of truck open also.
As long as the extra fuel is sealed tight. Or would it be a problem, say at a rest stop, unloading all the fuel and putting a steel cable through them and place them next to the camper?
I would prefer to leave them in the back of the truck while the generator is running just to keep anything happening to them while out side the truck.

I know of a few people who run their generators in the bed of their trucks.
The rear window up should suffice.
I can't see any flaws with your plan as long as the extra fuel is in a approved storage container. The key is Approved for storage and sealed container.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:31 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

thanks for the information

I guess sealed would be the part thats hard to know for sure. I know if the LP has a leak, or the gas fumes found a way out I guess the generator could ignite the fuel. Is it a bad idea to keep the fuel in the back of the truck with the camper shell and the generator running? Has anyone heard of a generator causing an explosion ect.. mike
As I mentioned I would have the back window facing the cab open along with the rear window, not sure it this would be enough air flowing through the bed to prevent a dangerious situation. This is my first camper, and I am headed back to home for a visit in Kansas City Mo. I am going to chance not winterizing the unit, and keep the gas running. Hopefully that will be enough to prevent lines from freezing.....
imagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 04:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
As Gary says, think "approved." A quality product with good seals should make it just fine. Consider the approved carry-aboard tanks for an outboard engine that sits near a running engine.

Another issue altogether is stabilizing it against flying around in the event of an accident. There have been threads on converting generators to LP and running it off your tanks. Broad subject, eh?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 11:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
In the boating safety circles one of the big words is Ventilation, bilge pump blowers to blow out the gasoline vapors before you start your inboard and such. Your truck bed will be much like the bilge in a boat, and you gotta have positive ventilation or go boom. Gasoline vapors SINK.
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote