Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-22-2006, 07:04 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Valparaiso , Indiana
Winter traveling

What do you guys do in the winter when traveling? I live in NW Indiana and plan on migrating to Florida in February. Do you travel with antifreeze and remove at first warm place or what. Just Curious

I can win any argument on any subject. People know this and steer away from me at parties. Often as a sign of their respect, they don't even invite me.
rochar3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:36 AM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochar3
What do you guys do in the winter when traveling? I live in NW Indiana and plan on migrating to Florida in February. Do you travel with antifreeze and remove at first warm place or what. Just Curious
That would be my recommendation! I got caught short by a winter storm a year or two ago in the Va Beach area. The power went out and my lines slushed up and I wasn't able to winterize properly, I had to move the camper ASAP That cost me a water heater and several fittings that burst. FWIW the weatherman lied They were calling for lows near 30 and highs in the low 40's...it got to 24 and the high for the day was 32 and then it got cold. If you plan to use the unit en route you can pack some gallons of water to use for drinking and minor wash up use until you hit warmer climes. My favorite trick is a couple of the big 5 gallon water coolers full of water.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
I agree with wahoonc. You'll obviously already winterized the trlr by mid Feb, s leave it until you are SURE the temps will be acceptable. Weathermen do miss the temp calls frequently and by a margin large enough to do damage. Here in MS I don't personally winterize so we can take advantage of good weather on a moments notice. It costs a little in propane to keep the heat on when it freezes, but worth it to us.
Enjoy the trip.
Scott
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
That's basicly what we do too. And like Aaron we us a jug of water to wash up if it's just a night on the road in the cold. Even if we're staying in freezing weather with hookups and running the furnace I always carry a couple gallon of rv antifreeze so in case of emergency I can drain and pump the pink stuff in to save the plumbing. When heading home from warm to cold weather I usally winterize the last day we're in above freezing temps so I don't have to do it when arriving home.---pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote