Old 01-23-2003, 06:05 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
David,
John covered how to do it well. If you're in a hurry, RV stores have an adapter you can put between the line to the tank and the pump that allows hooking up a hose as John described. You can just use the hose the kit provides directly on the pump, and do the adapter thing later. That's what I did since I'm gonna have to cut some of the piping to make room for the adapter. I also had to remove the screws A/S had the pump secured to the floor with since they put the pump inlet up against the wheelwell making it impossible to remove the input pipe and attach the hose where the pump was mounted. Good luck!

Old 01-23-2003, 06:08 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Ruby, try leaving the curtains open and the shades up tonight and see if it helps.

Our forecast is temps between 0 and -5 tonight with 5 mph winds for wind chill of -15 to -20.

Gimme some of those 28 degree nights, John!

Old 01-23-2003, 10:02 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
winter living

hi
i have been reading your post and trying to imagine me and my wife doing that . i sure would be missing my wife first time she woke up with snow in the unit it would be by by. my son and i used our A S trailer to hunt out of a few years ago and it was fun we both enjoyed it . it got cold when the furnace gave up in the wee hours of the night. BUT WE SURVIVED. THE COOK TOP SURE WILL HEAT UP THE UNIT WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS. not recommended for safety reasons. i enjoy reading your post so lol
al
Old 01-24-2003, 09:29 AM   #74
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Limited
Warsaw , Missouri
Thumbs down Winter Living

Well it happened.... all the efforts to NOT have the water freeze were in vain. AND ITS BEGINNING TO SNOW AGAIN!!!! I think I wanna go home.I hate all of you in warm places..not really.I took off one of the plastic mouldings around one of the small bottom windows and guess what...THOR,should be ashamed of how they are turning A/S into just another RV from Indiana.The absolute lack of insullation is down right pitiful.The windows are frozen shut.IT IS STILL @%&*!^*SNOWING!The wiseguy on his way out this morning says,"Honey this is what keeps you young."(Ha,you have to go out and I am still here warm in my bed.)We bought new batteries a few weeks ago and touch wood the furnace is working good. Thanks for the laugh at least with the "Snow Joke".The so called snow plow, is a beat up tractor with a small blade.The guy is Joe Bob.He has four teeth in front and the biggest wod of tobacco in his face I ever saw.He hasnt come around and done his usual one pass.Guess its too cold.I took the snow shovel and did the drive and the road in front.What a day I am going to have.
Old 01-24-2003, 09:33 AM   #75
4 Rivet Member

Ruby, hang in there, Spring is just around the corner.
On The Road, USA
gwsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 10:17 AM   #76
Rivet Master

Smile Wow!!!

Ruby,

Bless your heart!! Is this an experience or what(one that you probably will never want to repeat ).

As GW said, Springs right around the corner, but it's a long corner!!

Keep warm and continue to keep us updated-John

p.s. I won't get into our weather
Old 01-24-2003, 10:44 AM   #77
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Brandon (near reservoir) , Mississippi
Thanks RoadKingMoe and John HD.

I drove the 80 miles north of here last night and the pipes were already frozen. It was 14 degrees and was supposed to get 8 or 9 degrees. I heated the interior for about 2 hours, and no luck. I did turn on the water heater and was able to drain it. So at least I won't have to replace that.

I guess I can hope for the best and the pipes aren't split. I removed the instant hot water heater. Water drips were comming out the bottom of it. Haven't evaluated the damage yet, but no visable damage to the copper tank. I may have to bring it to a radiator repair shop if it is leaking.

Thank. Next winter I will be ready.
Old 01-25-2003, 08:22 AM   #78
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Limited
Warsaw , Missouri
Winter Survival

Yesterday went from crappy to frozen crappy.The holding tanks froze.Water thawed due to jacking the furnace up all the way.Oh gawd is the water heater going to be an issue???Drove to Home Depot in search of a salamander heater.$300.Hubby thinks he will use the old Coleman stove under the trailer to thaw out tanks.????Well to top of everything else....I locked my self out of the trailer and had to set in the truck with my naked dog freezing for 3 hours till the hub came home.While setting there I decided I needed to put a little emergency kit in the truck.A candle,a tin can,a lighter,a spare truck and trailer key,a warm blanket.Did have a 6 pack of brewskies and a liter of vodka.So when hubby arrived he had a really lit up old hen.Today will be another day in the art of winter survival.My good buddy the weatherman says 38 today...????
Old 01-25-2003, 08:41 AM   #79
Rivet Master

Furnace

Ruby,

Hopefully it will get above freezing long enough for you guys to thaw out!!!

Not to beat a dead horse, but your furnace and keeping the trailer warm, as you are seeing, is so important to the trailers life!

I wouldn't recommend having any open flame under the trailer!

But like everything else in life, you guys do what you want to do, it's your life!!

John
Old 01-25-2003, 08:56 AM   #80
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Bad to worse, huh Ruby?

I make "survival" cans. A 1 lb coffee can, with a big candle, in it. Go around the bottom sides of the can with one of those old beer openers that punch a triangular holes (remember the days before pop-tops?) to allow air for the candle. Don't leverage the holes all the way down to the bottom and they'll help keep the candle centered. Put a smaller diameter metal can for melting snow for drinking water upside down over the candle. Put matches on top of it (I don't trust butane lighters in the cold), and stick some high-calorie sports bars around the outside of the candle. Put the plastic lid on the coffee can and you're set. Those scented candles burn up to fast... get a heavy wax one.

Have you tried leaving the curtains open and the shades up at night? Just wondering if it helped?
Old 01-25-2003, 07:10 PM   #81
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Limited
Warsaw , Missouri
Winter Living

Ahhh,in my hast I started a new thread"Thawed".Sorry Moe it was your idea for the candle in a can.Hex ole buddy..yuz one funny dude.As for what we are building up here it has something to do with Nukes.The leason we learnt concerning the freeze up was to disconnect the holding tank drain hose and to only connect when we need to dump.I am leaving the blinds opened half way and keeping the little fan blowing at night.We are going to add some pink insullation inside the bottom window mouldings.Keeping at it everyday.Tommorrow we are going to the little town of Hermann,MO and drink wine and watch the ice flow on the Missouri river.A much deserved break.PRAY FOR PEACE.Ruby
Old 01-25-2003, 08:40 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
No problem, Ruby. I'm learnin' SO MUCH about wintering in an AS from you should we have to!

I'm convinced I need to move to Florida.
Old 01-27-2003, 07:36 PM   #83
3 Rivet Member

winter living

We have been using our 30ft Excella as our winter vacation spot and despite some bitterly cold weather everything seems to be going well.
We do not have running water as the park has shut off the system so we carry what we need to do the dishes and pour down the toilet. My wife (and I as well) does not like to trudge in sub freezing weather to the bath house, especially at 4 AM. Last night the temps got to around -10F and I know the holding tanks are frozen at the exit (dump valves) locations. I put in extra anti freeze (RV type) and with warmer weather later in the week, I hope they will discharge into the sewer system. We had to return home so hopefully this Friday everything will be working.
QUESTION.....What is the possibility of severly damaging the valves and if the weather has done so are they a nightmare to replace. ?
(We are heating with the furnace and electric space heaters.)
Thanks
RTaylor
Old 01-28-2003, 05:44 AM   #84
3 Rivet Member

Re: Winter Living

Quote:
Originally posted by Rubyslipper
I hate all of you in warm places..not really.I took off one of the plastic mouldings around one of the small bottom windows and guess what...THOR,should be ashamed of how they are turning A/S into just another RV from Indiana.The absolute lack of insullation is down right pitiful.
In my Avion they used one of those spray foam insulations. Kind of like what they use in refrigerators. I have heard it is a a superior insulation. I wonder why Airstream never went that direction?

Quote:
I hate all of you in warm places..not really.
I had to turn the A/C on in my truck yesterday when the temperatures got up to 80 degress, but it sure does get cold at night when it drops down to 58 degrees. Sorry, I couldnt resist It looks like you will get a nice warm up in a few days. Hang in there.