Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2003, 08:24 AM   #61
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Limited
Warsaw , Missouri
Brrrrr

John,yes the furnace maintains at around 68.We keep the cabinet doors open and the shower cracked open with a shoe.What is saving us is the blinds and curtains.The aluminum casings around the windows are even coated with ice.Adjusting the windows sounds really scarey.But if that will help we will look at this when it thaws out. And to think we could have been at the tip of Florida had he not had to take this contract!!!Already had 14" of the "white ****" this winter and its not over by far. Now we are having a problem with the frig wanting to keep kicking over to gas.Any thoughts on this????Not an issue of our electric amps...have 50 amp service.
Rubyslipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 10:05 AM   #62
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Sounds like you don't really need the fridge right now!

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 10:51 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Ruby,
Let me get this right... you're having ice forming on the plastic that covers the windows? Or on the glass behind the plastic? How much air gap is there between the window glass and plastic?

When we had our house built, the heat pump installer put a duct next to the wall under every window. When I asked why, he said it was to blow some of the warm air up behind the curtains when they're closed. He said without the ducts there, the closed curtains insulate the windows from getting the heat they need from the room, while at the same time do nothing to stop the humidity. Without the ducts there, he said there would be condensation and maybe even freezing, even with double pane windows.

So even though it may cause more loss of heat from the trailer, living with the curtains open may stop the condensation.

Finally... you've GOTTA let some of that subzero air into the trailer on a regular basis and provide a way for some of that 68 degree air to leave. The cold outside air may have a relative humidity of 50%, but cold air can't hold much moisture... that's 50% of a much lower moisture capacity. When its brought in and warmed, its moisture holding capability goes up, so with the same amount of moisture, its relative humidity level drops dramatically and this air becomes a sponge to soak up moisture in the trailer.

The problem is, once it has done so, it is now warm air with a high relative humidity. If it gets near anything colder than itself, the air around that cold object (i.e. a window) will be colder, at more than 100% relative humidity and the water will condense out of it on the cold object.

The only thing you can do is vent the saturated warm air out and replace it with dry cold outside air. The installer put a cold outside air intake on our home heat pump for the sole purpose of doing that. He said it would pressurize the house and blow the saturated warm air out out the bathroom and kitchen vent dampers. Some folks use a more expensive solution, an air to air heat exchanger to do this, but it pays for itself over the years on fuel savings.

For the trailer, I'd probably open the bathroom ceiling vent to do this. The warm air rising out the top should pull cold air in around any unsealed cracks around the refigerator, etc. In the long run, I may explore getting fresh cold air (or more of it) into the furnance ahead of the heating box.

Hope this helps,
Old 01-23-2003, 10:53 AM   #64
Rivet Master

Ruby,

I don't know about the refrig, maybe ice is forming on the pc boards?

What temp are you heating your trailer at night to? I remember you saying that your husband likes it cold or just turns down the heat to save gas.

So my question is: do you leave the thermostat set at one setting all the time?

I'm just trying to help you guys because I afraid of what this is going to do to your trailer in the long run.

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 11:27 AM   #65
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Limited
Warsaw , Missouri
Winter Living

Ok,,I will try to get all this down. We have been turning heat down at night but it is probably at 58-60.Still comes on and is tolerable.Last night we set it at 68. Anything higher and we would cook.I have a small fan and the little elec heater on today to help with air circulation. The ice is on the inside of the windows both lower and the upper.The bedroom windows have plastic and ice is also on the inside of the windows and in one place on the plastic inside.The alum casing had some ice too.The plastic is applied to the outter edges of the window casing so there is a good couple inches of air space between plastic and glass.I am most worried about the little bottom windows because the ice as it is melting is going down inside the wall area. I have towels and am wiping it up as best I can. I see where I may take off the plastic moulding and inspect the insullation that is in there and look at adding a better quality of the pink stuff where I see a need.It is just so blasted cold here and the wind is now picking up.I have the bath vent opened half way and can see the fan and heater are helping.Thanks for all your imput.We are so worried about the ice and the moisture damage.This is a beautiful A/S and if I am harming it by my stupidity I couldnt forgive myself.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:53 AM   #66
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Canton , Mississippi
Well, it's going to be 11 degrees here in central Mississippi here tonight. It is 24 degrees now at 1:00 PM.

It looks like a quick trip to the deer camp after work to properly winterize the '91 Excella.

Has anyone ever used the electric water pump to pump antifreeze through the system? I was thinking of taking off the water intake hose from the fresh water tank (it is completely empty) and attaching a hose to suck up antifreeze from a 1 gallon bottle and pump it through the whole system, including the instant hot water heater.

Has anyone done this? How can I attach a hose to the water pump?

Thanks,

David.
dmreilly10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 12:10 PM   #67
Rivet Master

Ruby,

It sounds like you're doing everything possible! I have never experienced conditions that you guys are, so I'm only playing Monday morning quarterback !

As far as adjusting the windows, you want them to seal when latched, but not drawn so tight that they are stressing the windows. Another words, just closed enough(when latched) to have an even seal all the way around the window.

Opening your drapes every day and dry them as best as you can, is about all you can do in these conditions.

Are you guys watching your batteries?

Best to you-John

p.s. we're going down to around 28 tonight and from the local news, you'd think it was the end of the world !
Old 01-23-2003, 02:43 PM   #68
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
Laughter is the best medicine

Ruby,

First of all, I must agree with you, an AS 31 is probably one of the most beautiful things made by man.

I received this form my daughter, have a good laugh, here in New Hampshire, it's cold, I mean real cold, and there is enough white stuff on the ground for a good while.

Diary of a Snow Shoveller

December 8:
6:00 PM. It started to snow. The first snow of the season and the wife and I took our cocktails and sat for hours by the window watching the huge soft flakes drift down from heaven. It looked like a Grandma Moses Print. So romantic we felt like newlyweds again. I love snow!
December 9:
We woke to a beautiful blanket of crystal white snow covering every inch of the landscape. What a fantastic sight! Can there be a more lovely place in the Whole World? Moving here was the best idea I've ever had. Shoveled for the first time in years and felt like a boy again.I did both our driveway and the sidewalks. This afternoon the snowplow came along and covered up the sidewalks and closed in the driveway, so I got to shovel again. What a perfect life.
December 12:
The sun has melted all our lovely snow. Such a disappointment. My neighbor tells me not to worry, we'll definitely have a white Christmas. No snow on Christmas would be awful! Bob says we'll have so much snow by the end of winter, that I'll never want to see snow again. l don't think that's possible.Bob is such a nice man I'm glad he's our neighbor.
December 14:
Snow lovely snow! 8" last night. The temperature dropped to -20. The cold makes everything sparkle so. The wind took my breath away, but I warmed up by shoveling the driveway and sidewalks. This is the life! The snowplow came back this afternoon and buried everything again. l didn't realize I would have to do quite this much shoveling, but I'll certainly get back in shape this way. I wish l wouldn't huff and puff so.
December 15:
20 inches forecast. Sold my van and bought a 4xBlazer.Bought snow tires for the wife's car and 2 extra shovels. Stocked the freezer. The wife wants a wood stove in case the electricity goes out. I think that's silly. We aren't in Alaska, after all.
December 16:
Ice storm this morning. Fell on my ass on the ice in the driveway putting down salt. Hurt like hell. The wife laughed for an hour, which I think was very cruel.
December 17:
Still way below freezing. Roads are too icy to go anywhere. Electricity was off for 5 hours. I had to pile the blankets on to stay warm. Nothing to do but stare at the wife and try not to irritate her. Guess I should've bought a wood stove, but won't admit it to her. God I hate it when she's right. I can't believe I'm freezing to death in my own living room.
December 20:
Electricity's back on, but had another 14" of the damn stuff last night. More shoveling. Took all day. Snowplow came by twice. Tried to find a neighbor kid to shovel, but they said they're too busy playing hockey. I think they're lying. Called the only hardware store around to see about buying a snow blower and they're out. Might have another shipment in March. I think they're lying. Bob says I have to shovel or the city will have it done and bill me. I think he's lying.
December 22:
Bob was right about a white Christmas because 13 more inches of the white stuff fell today, and it's so cold it probably won't melt till August. Took me 45 minutes to get all dressed up to go out to shovel and then I had to pee. By the time I got undressed, peed and dressed again. I was too tired to shovel. Tried to hire Bob who has a plow on his truck for the rest of the winter; but he says he's too busy. I think the bum is lying.
December 23:
Only 2" of snow today. And it warmed up to 0. The wife wanted me to decorate the front of the house this morning. What is she nuts!!! Why didn't she tell me to do that a month ago? She says she did but I think she's lying.
December 24:
6". Snow packed so hard by snowplow, l broke the shovel. Thought I was having a heart attack. If I ever catch the creep who drives that snowplow, I'll drag him through the snow by his balls. I know he hides around the corner and waits for me to finish shoveling and then he comes down the street at 100 miles an hour and throws snow all over where I've just been! Tonight the wife me to sing Christmas carols with her and open our presents, but I was busy watching for the dam snowplow.
December 25:
Merry Christmas. 20 more inches of the !@#$%@#! slop tonight. Snowed in. The idea of shoveling makes my blood boil. God I hate the snow! Then the snowplow driver came by asking for a donation and I hit him over the head with my shovel.The wife says I have a bad attitude. I think she's an idiot. If I have to watch It's a Wonderful Life one more time, I'm going to kill her.
December 26:
Still snowed in. Why the hell did I ever move here? It was all HER idea. She's really getting on my nerves.
December 27:
Temperature dropped to -30 and the pipes froze.
December 28:
Warmed up to above -50. Still snowed in. MY WIFE is driving me crazy!!!!!
December 29:
10 more inches. Bob says I have to shovel the roof or it could cave in. That's the silliest thing I ever heard. How dumb does he think I am?
December 30:
Roof caved in. The snow plow driver is suing me for a million dollars. The wife went home to her mother. 9" predicted.
December 31:
Set fire to what's left of the house. No more shoveling.
January 8:
I feel so good. I just love those little white pills they keep giving me. Why am I tied to the bed?

Good luck,

Mark
Old 01-23-2003, 02:52 PM   #69
Rivet Master

Thumbs up awesome

Thanks for sharing that!!

John
Old 01-23-2003, 04:11 PM   #70
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
hoser

Has anyone done this? How can I attach a hose to the water pump?

david,

it is quite easy, first remove the pick up line from the pump. then get a rough measurement of the outside diameter of the threads on the pump.

with this measurement go to the hardware store and buy 3 feet of clear silicone hose. match the id of the hose to the od of the threads on the pump. 3/4 or 1" id hose should do. it is cheap so if you are unsure buy both sizes.

when you get back, try to slip the hose over the threads. if it will not go, gently heat the end of the hose with a lighter until it becomes soft, then slip it on.

once you have done this, the other end goes into the gallon(s) of antifreeze. turn on the pump and winterize!

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 05:05 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
David,
John covered how to do it well. If you're in a hurry, RV stores have an adapter you can put between the line to the tank and the pump that allows hooking up a hose as John described. You can just use the hose the kit provides directly on the pump, and do the adapter thing later. That's what I did since I'm gonna have to cut some of the piping to make room for the adapter. I also had to remove the screws A/S had the pump secured to the floor with since they put the pump inlet up against the wheelwell making it impossible to remove the input pipe and attach the hose where the pump was mounted. Good luck!
Old 01-23-2003, 05:08 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Ruby, try leaving the curtains open and the shades up tonight and see if it helps.

Our forecast is temps between 0 and -5 tonight with 5 mph winds for wind chill of -15 to -20.

Gimme some of those 28 degree nights, John!
Old 01-23-2003, 09:02 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
winter living

hi
i have been reading your post and trying to imagine me and my wife doing that . i sure would be missing my wife first time she woke up with snow in the unit it would be by by. my son and i used our A S trailer to hunt out of a few years ago and it was fun we both enjoyed it . it got cold when the furnace gave up in the wee hours of the night. BUT WE SURVIVED. THE COOK TOP SURE WILL HEAT UP THE UNIT WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS. not recommended for safety reasons. i enjoy reading your post so lol
al
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 08:29 AM   #74
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Limited
Warsaw , Missouri
Thumbs down Winter Living

Well it happened.... all the efforts to NOT have the water freeze were in vain. AND ITS BEGINNING TO SNOW AGAIN!!!! I think I wanna go home.I hate all of you in warm places..not really.I took off one of the plastic mouldings around one of the small bottom windows and guess what...THOR,should be ashamed of how they are turning A/S into just another RV from Indiana.The absolute lack of insullation is down right pitiful.The windows are frozen shut.IT IS STILL @%&*!^*SNOWING!The wiseguy on his way out this morning says,"Honey this is what keeps you young."(Ha,you have to go out and I am still here warm in my bed.)We bought new batteries a few weeks ago and touch wood the furnace is working good. Thanks for the laugh at least with the "Snow Joke".The so called snow plow, is a beat up tractor with a small blade.The guy is Joe Bob.He has four teeth in front and the biggest wod of tobacco in his face I ever saw.He hasnt come around and done his usual one pass.Guess its too cold.I took the snow shovel and did the drive and the road in front.What a day I am going to have.
Old 01-24-2003, 08:33 AM   #75
4 Rivet Member

Ruby, hang in there, Spring is just around the corner.
On The Road, USA
gwsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 09:17 AM   #76
Rivet Master

Smile Wow!!!

Ruby,

Bless your heart!! Is this an experience or what(one that you probably will never want to repeat ).

As GW said, Springs right around the corner, but it's a long corner!!

Keep warm and continue to keep us updated-John

p.s. I won't get into our weather
Old 01-24-2003, 09:44 AM   #77
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Canton , Mississippi
Thanks RoadKingMoe and John HD.

I drove the 80 miles north of here last night and the pipes were already frozen. It was 14 degrees and was supposed to get 8 or 9 degrees. I heated the interior for about 2 hours, and no luck. I did turn on the water heater and was able to drain it. So at least I won't have to replace that.

I guess I can hope for the best and the pipes aren't split. I removed the instant hot water heater. Water drips were comming out the bottom of it. Haven't evaluated the damage yet, but no visable damage to the copper tank. I may have to bring it to a radiator repair shop if it is leaking.

Thank. Next winter I will be ready.
dmreilly10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 07:22 AM   #78
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Limited
Warsaw , Missouri
Winter Survival

Yesterday went from crappy to frozen crappy.The holding tanks froze.Water thawed due to jacking the furnace up all the way.Oh gawd is the water heater going to be an issue???Drove to Home Depot in search of a salamander heater.$300.Hubby thinks he will use the old Coleman stove under the trailer to thaw out tanks.????Well to top of everything else....I locked my self out of the trailer and had to set in the truck with my naked dog freezing for 3 hours till the hub came home.While setting there I decided I needed to put a little emergency kit in the truck.A candle,a tin can,a lighter,a spare truck and trailer key,a warm blanket.Did have a 6 pack of brewskies and a liter of vodka.So when hubby arrived he had a really lit up old hen.Today will be another day in the art of winter survival.My good buddy the weatherman says 38 today...????
Old 01-25-2003, 07:41 AM   #79
Rivet Master

Furnace

Ruby,

Hopefully it will get above freezing long enough for you guys to thaw out!!!

Not to beat a dead horse, but your furnace and keeping the trailer warm, as you are seeing, is so important to the trailers life!

I wouldn't recommend having any open flame under the trailer!

But like everything else in life, you guys do what you want to do, it's your life!!

John
Old 01-25-2003, 07:56 AM   #80
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Bad to worse, huh Ruby?

I make "survival" cans. A 1 lb coffee can, with a big candle, in it. Go around the bottom sides of the can with one of those old beer openers that punch a triangular holes (remember the days before pop-tops?) to allow air for the candle. Don't leverage the holes all the way down to the bottom and they'll help keep the candle centered. Put a smaller diameter metal can for melting snow for drinking water upside down over the candle. Put matches on top of it (I don't trust butane lighters in the cold), and stick some high-calorie sports bars around the outside of the candle. Put the plastic lid on the coffee can and you're set. Those scented candles burn up to fast... get a heavy wax one.

Have you tried leaving the curtains open and the shades up at night? Just wondering if it helped?