Old 11-18-2005, 12:22 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Winter Living?

Hello again,

Since I have been knee deep in winter living issues since the weather changed drastically here in western Wisconsin, I am curious as to who all might be wintering in their Airstream and where. It might also be enlightening to know of what issues we have had to deal in furthering this madness.

So, pioneers, let'er rip!

I assume most have read of my regulator problem. Since I have chosen not to heat 24/7, I am faced with bathing elsewhere. That also necessitates, of course, a gargangtuan bladder unless one doesn't mind "aiming into the wind". I can tell you that there is a reason they say not to do that!!!!!

Wherever you go... there you are!
bhsl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 01:48 PM   #2
Craftsman

Post some pictures. Very interested in the steps you took to prepare ypour Airstream for wintering.

Jack
Old 11-18-2005, 02:48 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

uh, please don't post pictures of "aiming into the wind"...

I am planning to spend this weekend getting the airstream winter-ready. I think of myself as a squatter rather than a full-timer, as I do not have a tow vehicle and live in the 31' trailer.

I'm a Minnesotan who moved this summer to Reno, NV--can't imagine trying to stay in the airstream back in MN or WI, but NV seems manageable. Last few nights have been down to 23 for a low, so my furnace is working pretty hard but I can turn it off during the sunny days. We're at 4500 feet so it looks to be pretty cool as the season progresses.

So I'll be insulating the water line, probably adding skirting, and doing something with the windows, probably just plastic. Probably will add some foam into all but one of the 3 ceiling vents.

Of course my pilot light for the water heater suddenly won't stay lit... lousy timing but I think I know what its issue is.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:05 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Hey Jack,

All I have down to winterize so far is park it and drain it. I saw in an ancient (but timely) similar thread that hay bales were used to block the cold wind from underneath. I like the idea as I do notice the floor gets quite chilly. I urge anyone else who tries this to put plenty of mothballs under the trailer first to discourage small pesky critters from taking up residence.

Per several others' suggestions,I also am planning to have the 125 gal propane tank placed to preclude constant tank fillups which have become a nightmare.

I am hooked up to shore power but have no backup should that go down. Since I will be doing the antifreeze thing, hopefully this weekend, I won't worry if that happens other than keeping warm when I sleep.

On top of all else I have recently found out that I may have to move the silver beast before spring. She seems to have settled in and we are currently snow covered so I hate the thought of that. Fingers are crossed.

Wherever you go... there you are!
bhsl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 07:47 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1989 34' Limited
southern , ontario
hope you guys have CO detectors (carbon monoxide detectors) mounted in your trailers plus working smoke detectors, oh while Im at it LP gas detector too,

good luck
Old 01-22-2006, 02:09 PM   #6
1977 31' Sovereign

Kalispell , Montana
Hi from Montana, I live in a 1977 31' rear bath Airstream Land Yacht that I bought from a lady in Duluth MN In April of 05, and pulled it to Kalispell MT in June of 05. I do missions work for a christian group known as YWAM ( Youth With a Mission) here in Kalispell & on the Flathead Indian Reservation. I live at a RV Park in Kalispell MT, I have trailers on both sides of my site one is a new 06 Coachman and the other is a 04 Jayco that have had there tanks and traps frozen up, the Coachman also had a main water line break inside. We had a very cold streach here for awhile the coldest was -20, I have had no troubles with my Aistream at all. Befor I bought My Airstream I did many HRS of research on what to buy. I chose to buy Airstream because of there qaulity in workmanship and there resell value far excedes any other travel trailer on the market. I am very Proud of my vintage Airstream it was very well taken care of, and also have had many comments on how nice it looks for its age. Have safe trips and happy roads to you all this summer and if you are planing a trip to Montana and you get up to Kalispell look me up I am staying at Rocky Mountain Hi RV Park its a nice park to stay at. Keep polishing those vintage Airstreams and GOD BLESS..
Old 01-22-2006, 02:10 PM   #7
1977 31' Sovereign

Kalispell , Montana
Yes I have the water line heat taped and insulated also took 1" styrofoam and skirted the trailer. I leave the grey tank valve open and the black closed,I also have a small electric heater under the table that helps to keep the chill out in the living room. I have not had any problems with humidity, the trailer I bought has Heated tanks and also dual pane windows. I'm Up in the northwest corner of MT westside of Glacier National Park.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:13 PM   #8
prettytall

Tallville , California
howdy!

saw this thread refered off another thread on winter living.

nice to see someone living in upper montana as thats an area i really would like to live and tour around.

im looking to remodel an older airstream, not restore, but moderize and build to my taste. quite possible i wil be wintering in some hardcore places.

i have built a few houses, a few products i like are radiant flooring, small boilers and blow-in insulation. i wonder if these would work well in a trailer situation? has anyone tried it?

this stuff is great, Warmboard-

http://warmboard.com/explained.html#whatis

and a small boiler to run the Warmboard and supply domestic hotwater

http://www.blueridgecompany.com/radiant/hydronic/325

then use BIBS (Blow In Blanket System) insulation in the floor and walls and one could be pretty toasty eh? the radiant floor setup could help with freezing issues?
Old 01-22-2006, 05:18 PM   #9
Site Team

, Minnesota
Tallone,

That looks good.

But why not go direct to electric in-floor heat, it won't freeze and weighs next to nothing.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:18 PM   #10
prettytall

Tallville , California
electric would work, until you go off the grid....dont know if a generator would supply enough power for the electric floor? these boilers can run on ele, LPG or NG.

if you mix glycol with the floor heating fluid it will not freeze....esp if you are using it.

the same unit that supplies the floor heat can supply the DHW....dont know if ele heating units will do that.

dont know if vibration/chaffing would effect the ele heating system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Tallone,

That looks good.

But why not go direct to electric in-floor heat, it won't freeze and weighs next to nothing.