Old 11-08-2015, 06:10 PM   #1
1988 32' Excella
1988 32.5' Airstream 325
arroyo hondo , New Mexico
winter living

i recently purchased an airstream to use as a rental.......

please tell me how to keep it warm in the winter....i live in northern new mexico and it gets cold/snow.....

is there a way to have running water in the wintertime.....???

already i have mice.....HELP.... i have mice that like to live in my car, shed and now the airstream.....any advice on how to keep them out and get rid of them....
i have dogs so i hate to put down poison but i am desperate......

thank you so much for any advice you can give me...
victoria prince

sojourn108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
There are a couple threads here about mice. We have an indoor car and have seen no evidence of mice upstairs. I did find a dead mouse in the basement once.

As for keeping the water going, you have a couple of options. One is to buy a heated hose. If you have a frost-proof faucet and a handy electrical outlet that may be your simplest bet, although certainly not the cheapest. If this is to be a "fixture" coach (one that doesn't move) you can build skirting around it. Don't use hay/straw bales as they will bring in mice and other critters trying to keep warm. Use thick foam insulation panels (2" panels, doubled or tripled) cut to fit. Put a heat source under the coach but make sure that it isn't touching anything that could get hot and start a fire. Most likely your furnace has a duct going to your tank area, so be sure to keep that furnace going.

Speaking of that furnace, you will go through quite a bit of propane. You might want to arrange for a propane company to set up a larger tank and keep it filled. If not, check your propane cylinders daily, and change the empty one immediately.

David Lininger, kb0zke
AIR 54240
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 09:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1975 27' Overlander
Mission , Texas
winter living

Years ago I wintered over one year in an older 5th wheel in the Colorado mountains; the coldest spell we had was a week of -20F nights and 0F days - nothing froze, but I prepped for it as folllows.
• 110vac tank heaters on all tanks.
• The uninsulated open belly was lined in Reflectix.
• Heat tape on the water in hose and spigot then wrapped in Reflectix.
• Heat tape on the dirty water out lines up to a few inches after the hose starts then all of it wrapped in Reflectix.
• Skirt for the trailer made from the plasticized paper they wrap bunks of lumber with to keep the air from moving under it.
• Oil filled electric heater as primary heat.
• Keep gas tanks full and leave the furnace set a little above the electric heat.
• On warmer days vent out the moisture (a dehumidifier would have been better).
• Cook on a hot plate to keep from burning up and poluting the breathing air (or crack open vents when cooking).
• Length of the rig curb side facing south, ends pointing east and west.
• Couple of layers of Reflectix cut to fit in the vent openings.

The PO of ours had 3 dogs and left food out. The mice joined the party, took up residence and likely had a good pantry in the walls, floor, etc. I sealed up any entry ways I could find. Three traps netting at least one a day and 3 months later no more mice.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Rental? Long term? Stationary? Campground? Winter rental? Hookups?

How much will you charge? How much will it cost you?
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote