Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2011, 10:24 PM   #161
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
I don't have a hair dryer, but I pointed my little electric space heater in that direction. It was annoying not having the cold water work. Couldn't take a shower. The cold water line finally melted late this morning. The temps are supposed to be a little warmer for the next few days so it should be okay now.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:28 PM   #162
x

XXXX , XXXX
Dan get yourself one of the cheap travel hair dryers. It will fit right into the hole in the floor next to the pipe. When I had the problem it took only minutes to thaw out the line. I had to do it first thing in the morning and once more when I got home from work.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:06 AM   #163
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Dan, let the water drip overnight. That costs you nothing, the electric for a hair dryer does cost.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:29 PM   #164
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
My water line froze again a few days ago. I bought a hair dryer, and blew it down the hole where the water pipe goes under the floor. But even after an hour or more of heating it was still frozen. The weather warmed up and it eventually melted. At least I have a hair dryer now!

Off topic... After 19 months of living alone 800 miles from my home and family, I finally turned-in my resignation letter today. So I'll be unemployed, but headed home to MN. I am counting the days. We have saved up enough money to last awhile, but we must cut expenses to a minimum. I have two job interviews lined up, so I am hopefull.

I will tow the trailer from CO to MN in just 2 weeks from now. I hope the weather is good, as I'd hate to have trailer sway on ice.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:12 AM   #165
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Dan

Glad to hear that you are heading home in two weeks. I can not imagine being 800 miles away from my family for 19 months. Lets hope for a winter thaw in two weeks and safe travels for you. I am happy for you and your family.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:39 PM   #166
2 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Louisville , Kentucky
good luck to you dmac and thanks for the posts. your experience and the feedback you've been given i've had a trouble free 1st fulltime winter. plenty warm, no freezes and looking forward to spring so i can get to work on this gem.
70s guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:09 PM   #167
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac View Post
Off topic... After 19 months of living alone 800 miles from my home and family, I finally turned-in my resignation letter today. So I'll be unemployed, but headed home to MN. I am counting the days. We have saved up enough money to last awhile, but we must cut expenses to a minimum. I have two job interviews lined up, so I am hopefull.
All the best luck to you and your family, Dan!
Old 01-16-2011, 03:55 PM   #168
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Dan, good luck with those interviews. I don't know how you held out so long, but the pressures of money can drive us to do things we never thought we'd do. Let's hope for a clear highways back home.

Gene
Old 09-30-2011, 10:46 AM   #169
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plymouth Meeting , Pennsylvania
Northern Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfarmer View Post
Parked on a mountian in North East Alabama
I've lived in Huntsville, Alabama for several years. While it sometimes got cold, it never really was freezing cold. I believe you'll be fine without resorting to extraordinary preventives.
Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:39 PM   #170

1978 25' Caravanner
Reno , Nevada
Hey Dan,

I'm a newbie full-timer in Grass Valley CA this winter.

I loved these posts and wonder how you are?

Any regrets? Do you miss it?
leroylerot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #171
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Last time I was in Denver, a couple of months ago, I flashed on "what happened to that guy who was stuck here away from his family for so long". Then I forgot it, so I'm glad this thread got resurrected.

Dan, how are you?

Gene
Old 05-24-2014, 11:37 PM   #172
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
A very late reply to the above... I am doing fine, living in our house in Minnesota. I was unable to find a job for another 2 years! So I wrote a book and started a small flight school. It was enough to carry us over for awhile. In early 2013 I finally got a "real job", so life is back to normal.

The Denver experience was about the worst time I have ever had in my life. The job was terrible, I missed home and family, and the campground was unpleasant at best. Overall the winter camping was not that bad - gave me something to work on.

The trailer is in partially-covered storage. I have only used it once since the Denver experience. I am planning to fix it up (from hail in Denver!) next year, and use it some more.

I greatly appreciate people's support here during those cold Denver times!
Old 08-07-2014, 04:31 PM   #173
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
formerly of Tustin, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach , California
I'm a total noob here - don't even own my AS yet but plan on it in the upcoming months. I realized it may be during the fall and winter and so found this thread. I have to say it was better than reading a mystery novel and I just couldn't wait to find out reading half-way and so went the end to find out about Dan. I'm happy to see it was a happy ending to an epic personal struggle. Now I can go back and finish the story. What a fantastic read! Thanks Dan and all the contributors - a lot of great people here.
westcoastas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:25 PM   #174

2004 28' Safari S/O
Castle Rock , Colorado
I just sold my house to downsize, am staying with some friends, but am considering buying an Airstream to live in for a couple more years while I go back to school. I'm in Colorado at about 6500 feet, so I'm worried about winter living. I just read through all these posts and have learned a lot - thanks, everyone!

If I've been paying attention, it sounds like the basics are: heat tape and insulation on all pipes/hoses, skirting around the outside, halogen bulbs under the trailer, incandescent bulbs behind any access panels, supplement with electric heater (but not too much), keep water dripping, bubble wrap in windows. What am I missing?

Also, I saw some talk about propane costs, but never really got a grasp on just how much total propane costs end up being per month over the winter. Could someone throw some numbers at me?

Part of me is discouraged about all the struggles associated with winter living in an AS seem to be. Part of me is up for the challenge. Just not sure which part of me is going to win. And I am hoping to make a decision on this purchase this week.

Any more advice is much appreciated - thank you!
Stev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:27 PM   #175

2004 28' Safari S/O
Castle Rock , Colorado
Oh... I forgot something:
I'd be parked behind a barn where there will be water, electricity, and a septic tank. Not sure if that all matters for this topic or not.
Stev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:37 PM   #176
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Stev(e),

Airstreams are 3 season trailers and not meant for winter use except for short periods. They only have 2" of fiberglass insulation and that provides little help during winter. Nonetheless some people do it. You can buy a heated water hose, but they are expensive and sometimes stop working. Skirting is essential and you will have to get another, larger propane tank. Most propane suppliers will rent you one, but may charge a lot to delivery it and hook it up properly. An electric heater inside will only heat the trailer and not the water tanks underneath—thus the need for skirting and some sort of heat below. For skirting to be effective, it has to be well sealed to keep the wind out.

In Castle Rock, winter temps can go below -20˚. If you are on the north side of that barn, it will stay colder and the snow will pile up. The sewer house can freeze too.

There are better 4 season trailers available. Arctic Fox is one and although there are rumors they aren't made anymore, their website is active. I'm sure there are used ones available.

Airstreams are cool, but they are also cold.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:43 PM   #177
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Steve

I agree with Gene on this except-

1. I might try it if I could put the Airstream in the barn.
2. I don't think any other trailer would make that much difference. At 6,500 ft in Colorado, I would want to be in a bricks and mortar home. Especially if you are trying to concentrate on learning and not how to survive living through the winter in a trailer.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote