Old 12-07-2010, 06:11 AM   #113
1 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Niceville , Florida
Thanks for the suggestions. My thought about leaving the front of the trailer underside was to create some flow. After your comments I realize the flow would be cold air coming in and the warm air I feel sneaking out around the wheelwells is actually lost efficiency. Duh. I'll learn! One feature of the skirt I'm using that I like is it's relative stiffness. I don't have to use any tape to hold it in place. Less mess. I slept out there last night and set my furnace thermostat at 60 and put another space heater inside. It was toasty and I don't think the space heater ran at all. The floor was even pretty warm. It was supposed to go down to 26, but my outside thermostat read 30 this morning at 5:00, so it wasn't as good a test as I had hoped. Colder tonight.
Why vodka? If I use single malt I wouldn't WANT to flush it out!!

Old 12-07-2010, 08:11 AM   #114
x

XXXX , XXXX
Bob the same holds true for your skirting. You say that it is not taped into place ( less mess). Well hot air rises so unless you tape and seal the skirt to the trailer all that heat you are creating is just leaking out the top of the skirt. I full timed in mine for 7yrs here in Canada. My skirt was made from rigid styrofoam wrapped in bubble wrap. It boxed in the entire area below the lower trim line and was sealed against the trailer with aluminium tape to the trailer. I used 2 150 watt halogen work lamps under the trailer. By sealing the entire area to prevent heat loss the 2 lamps (300 watts) kept everything underneath well heated and my floor was toasty warm all winter even in - 40 degree weather. 1 roll of tape ($7.00) and some clean up in spring was a lot cheaper than running a 1500 watt space heater and trying to heat the great outdoors.
BTW I cut a small removable acess door in the styrofoam so I could access the dump valves for the waste system.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:09 PM   #115
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Long term RV Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac View Post
I will say that living in a travel trailer without the "travel" part is less than desirable! I think it would be a lot better if I could find somewhere else to park it. There just are not many year-round campgrounds near Denver that allow an extended stay.

At least the winter preparations are working okay, no freezups, and it's warm inside. So far the heating costs are acceptable - mostly using the heat pump.
Here's a park a friend told me about....

Denver Meadows RV Park in Aurora, Colorado - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com
Old 12-07-2010, 02:28 PM   #116
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Here are the last 10 ratings for Denver Meadows on RV Park Reviews: "3 1 1 2 1 6 2 1 2". Here are last 10 ratings for the place Dan is now at: "3 3 6 6 4 10 1 3 7 10".

Gene
Old 12-07-2010, 05:44 PM   #117
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Here are the last 10 ratings for Denver Meadows on RV Park Reviews: "3 1 1 2 1 6 2 1 2". Here are last 10 ratings for the place Dan is now at: "3 3 6 6 4 10 1 3 7 10".

Gene
What do the review numbers mean? Is 10 best? or is 1 best?

Thanks,

Gary
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:12 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
1 bad, 10 good.

We have stayed at Dakota Ridge in Golden a few times. That is a better RV park (8 6 9 8 9 9 9 9 8 9) though it may be quite expensive for long term. Golden Terrace South (6 6 4 9 1 1 7 5 1 1) is nearby and the sites are very narrow. We stayed there once and didn't like it. Both have Golden addresses, but are on Colfax just west of I-70 and not all that near downtown Golden.

Gene
Old 12-07-2010, 06:53 PM   #119
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Good information! Thanks!

Gary
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:37 AM   #120
1 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Niceville , Florida
There's a gap, kind of a slot, at the bottom of the trim that runs around my trailer that holds my insulation sheeting in place nicely. I put more of the wrap around the front of the trailer yesterday that pretty much seals it up all the way around. I like your idea about the light bulbs rather than the space heater. I ran the heater about 5 hours last night while the temp was below freezing and when I went in to check on the trialer this morning the floor was warm. I think this will work fine for me here and the roll-up insulation will be easier to handle and store than rigid styrofoam. Thanks everyone for your input!
Old 12-08-2010, 09:33 PM   #121
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
Denver Meadows does not look much better than where I am at. Dakota Ridge looks better, but their rates are higher. I guess I'm stuck in what amounts to a gravel parking lot.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:07 PM   #122
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Poor Furnace Performance

Frank

You posted on 12/1 that your furnace may need to be replaced as it is a 1993 model and you hope a new one works better. There may be nothing wrong with your furnace. My furnace was performing very poorly when I was camping in WV in the middle of winter (I was skiing). The outlet temp was only about 70 degrees as I recall. I was told to pour hot water on the propane gas distribution valve. I did this and the furnace started cooking properly. So there may be nothing wrong with your furnace, the problem may be low propane pressure to the furnace. Furnaces usually either work or they don't work. Make sure that yours is putting out high temperature air, probably at least 130 degrees. If it is not you may need to replace the propane distribution valve.

Dan
Old 12-09-2010, 04:35 AM   #123
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Snead , Alabama
Dan, Thanks for advise on furnace, already bought new suburban, 30,000 btu unit, I may have new installed or just hold if have trouble, old one works but real loud & some fan motor moans sometimes. I have a 250 gallon gas tank connected direct to AS, so doubt any problem with pressure.

Frank
Old 12-09-2010, 08:25 AM   #124
2 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
1988 25' Excella
cedar lake , Indiana
what kind of insulation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobOgletree View Post
There's a gap, kind of a slot, at the bottom of the trim that runs around my trailer that holds my insulation sheeting in place nicely. I put more of the wrap around the front of the trailer yesterday that pretty much seals it up all the way around. I like your idea about the light bulbs rather than the space heater. I ran the heater about 5 hours last night while the temp was below freezing and when I went in to check on the trialer this morning the floor was warm. I think this will work fine for me here and the roll-up insulation will be easier to handle and store than rigid styrofoam. Thanks everyone for your input!
Hi What type of soft insulation did you use? what kind of tape adheres to the Airstream? Is this a simple task that could be done frequently?
thank you for the info in advance....hoosiergypsy it is nice here but getting too cold at night...
Old 12-09-2010, 11:38 AM   #125
2 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Louisville , Kentucky
i just made it through 4 sub freezing days. lows mid teens- highs mid twentys. no freeze and the cabin never below 65 at the coldest spot. how confident can i be with my pipes ?
Old 12-09-2010, 04:02 PM   #126
1 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Niceville , Florida
HoosierGypsy- The insulation I used is called Reflectix, Double Reflective Foil Insulation, and I got it at Lowe's. I got the 2' wide X 25' roll and it fit pretty well without much trimming. I read all 8 pages of this blog and thought through wood, styrofoam, even bales of hay, but decided to wander through Home Depot and Lowes to see what I could find. There's actually a comment in one of the messages about reflective or foil insulation but I didn't really understand what they were talking about. My first thought for using this Reflectix was to tape it to the chrome strip that runs along the bottom of the side of my trailer and I read somewhere in this blog that Gorilla Tape would stick, but it sure wouldn't stick to my strip....although the strip might have been damp when I tried it. I didn't actually notice the little gap under the botttom of the strip until I tried to wedge the insulation against it and damn if it didn't slip right in. I've still got a few little gaps around the bumpers and wheelwells, but it's keeping everything toasty, so "What Me Worry?" I even noticed that an armadillo has moved in under there.....