Old 11-07-2010, 12:20 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Dan, there are heat strips too. If you can get to the side of the back of the shower, you may be able to thread one behind it since strips should be semi-rigid.
Very difficult to get behind the shower. If it becomes a problem I may have to place a space heater in the bathroom.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:32 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock60 View Post
wintering in a airstream, you got b**s.
No, I'm just stupid for:

- getting a Masters in IT, then watching the jobs go to India
- losing my job of 11 years
- finding an underemployment job 900 miles away from my home and family
- having just enough income to cover the family at home, with little left for my survival in a run down RV park
- trying to stay in the Airsteam through the winter!

I may freeze... but my family won't, and my daughter will stay in nursing school.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:32 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Dan, you may feel stupid, but I think you are doing what you have to do and I hope it works for you. Don't second guess yourself about a master's degree. Millions have lost jobs through no fault of their own. I don't know what's worse—a run down RV park (I am thinking of one in Golden on Colfax) or freezing. Actually, I do, freezing is.

Gene
Old 11-07-2010, 04:10 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
I'm in a run down RV park in Wheat Ridge... and I will soon be freezing in my poorly insulated Airstream... two for the price of one!
Old 11-07-2010, 04:29 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Dan,

It sounds like a chilly strain of the blues in coming on...
There is no sense in whacking yourself over the head over it and making it worse. You are in a hard situation. You made a decision to try and do this and I'd say you've been doing it rather valiantly so far, I would have folded weeks ago. Nothing is written in stone though, if you come to a point where you have to make a change, then do it. Try as long as you can to outsmart each problem, look how many friends you have here to hand out advice and give encouragement. We are all looking over your shoulder and hoping things turn out all right. Hang in there...

Carol
Old 11-07-2010, 08:59 PM   #62
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Dan, here's a hint to add to the other pile of advice you got:

Add on a makeshift exterior hallway, that points away from wherever the prevailing wind comes from. The ugliest, unpainted wood structure you can make quickly (and cheaply) the better. (We'll call it "charming", OK?)

You will be able to open your main door without blowing all the warm air out of the trailer, plus have a spot to take off the worst and wettest of your outer clothes so you don't track several pounds of cold, wet snow into your tin igloo every time you come back home. PLUS, you will be assured to be always able to open your front door, despite the worst snow storm.

There, doesn't that feel better already?
Old 11-07-2010, 11:30 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
Although I'm in a "trailer trash" situation, the RV park does not allow homemade skirting or entryway.

I still need to find a source for a large tank of LP gas, put bubble wrap in the windows, and try to heat the shower area to prevent freeze-up. I might also insulate the overheat vents better than just the foil bubble wrap, perhaps foam rubber might work.

The floor of the Airstream is insulated. I hear that some other brands are not, which would be bad.

I really should not complain, at least I have a job. We are able to make our house payments when many cannot.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:40 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Sounds like this is not the crowded one on Colfax, but it doesn't have good "prospects" either. If I guessed right which one it is, the last review on RV Park Reviews last summer indicated some voltage problems.

Snow is coming—it should start here tonight, Denver tomorrow afternoon.

Gene
Old 11-08-2010, 08:24 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
Yes , you know where I am at.

Lows in the 20's and highs in the 40's this week will start to test my setup.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:29 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Dan,
You are what is right with this country! I to am doing the job away from home to make ends meet. Living in my airstream as well. Granted I am in Memphis, TN a relative tropical paradise compared to Colorado! To many folks would have given up and not done the tough choice of doing what you have to do.
Anyway, I have found that I can slide the silver bubble wrap behind stuff in the bathroom and the closet water pump area. Not the best insulation but better than nothing. I also find a cheap desk top fan (small one) is perfect to direct the inside "warm" air to those hard to reach spots. On really cold nights I will be sleeping on the goucho so I can prop the bed up so air can circulate underneath to the piping. I also take a shower right before bed, so the water in the tank is still hot. So when i get up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, I can run the hot water in the spickets to get a little more warmth in those hard to reach nooks/pipes and the tanks. Grantednot a lot, but it may help.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:05 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
Thanks Dave. I lost my job nearly 2 years ago, so if I had not taken this one we would be sunk by now! Many of my colleagues lost their jobs at about the same time, and have not found work since. Age discrimination is very evident. I am determined to avoid the fate of so many people who are losing everything.

The Front Range area of CO is not as cold as the mountains. There can be several days of cold weather, but it often warms up and the snow melts quickly. Some January days can get over 60 F.

What is the layout of your trailer? Is there an outside storage compartment located under the bed? I put a small electric heater in there, which seems to be working well. Taking a shower the night before is a good idea, especially if the pipes might freeze overnight. I will try putting bubble wrap to protect pipes per your suggestion. Also, Walmart sells a cheap wireless digital thermometer called "Accu-rite" for about $10. I put the remote part in places I think may freeze and make changes as needed. I have been using the heat pump almost exclusively this fall. It is noisy, but reasonably economical and comfortable. The furnace is needed below about 30 F.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:16 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Dan,
I have a rear queen with side bath. I do have an outside access/storage panel to the compartment under the bed. I also have the thermometer with the external probe, I have that mounted just below the underbelly by the rear bed. This way i know what the outside temp is. I also have a thermometer with a remote (wireless) probe that i move around as needed.
I wouldn't trust an electric heater under the bed way to many possible bad scenarios there.
I use the furnace exclusively below 50f. Primarily so the air ducting by/through the piping and tank areas stays warm. I find 50f at night is plent warm enough for me. I have tent camped in colder. I also crank the heat when i get up in the morning while i am getting ready for work, turn it back to 40-50 during the day. Than I crank it up again when i get home for a little bit, just to get some of the mass of the trailer a bit warmer.
As one of the other posters had recommended, I will be running off my tanks for water. And only dumping when full. Once the tank is empty, I will close the valve and poor a gallon of rv antifreeze in there so the valve has some protection until the tank is full enough to offer some thermal mass.
I am also prepared to get an extended stay room or some other arrangement for the colder winter months. Craigslist has a section for rooms to rent. I have checked out a few and it will need to get pretty cold before i go that direction, but it is definitely an option. Since both of my kids statrted college in august, the the wife and I may get a small apt and winterize and close our house till summer. Who knows.
My next project is to find an extent ion hose for the lp. This way I can keep my grill tank inside as an emergency (warm) spare to use with the installed system or use it with one of the ventless heaters. Which I am currently looking at. But than again, an electric heater would do good in an emergency, as long as you have the fans to move the air around.
Like you, I will be adjusting as I learn.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:45 PM   #69
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
In North Dakota, home of the Williston basin and other wonders, we don't even put on our jackets until it gets be about 10 degrees above zero. One visit to TX in February led me to believe I was in the tropics. Funny thing was everyone in TX was wearing heavy coats while I thought "Gee whiz, I should have packed my shorts!" There is something to be said for every beautiful part of the US!!
Old 11-09-2010, 05:51 PM   #70
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I pack a coat when I go to North Dakota in summer. The coldest I've ever been was in Grand Forks in July.

Gary

Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote