Old 10-28-2010, 10:39 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
On my heat tape there is a sensor, It turns the heat off or on, and must be attached to something very cold. I tie it directly to the metal supply line, or if that is plastic, you can tape it to an old wrench handle or something cold and metal. Cold Air won't turn the sensor on. Check that the outlet you're plugging into is working too. You can test the heat tape by plugging it into a working outlet, then putting an ice cube on the sensor. If it works you'll feel it start to warm up within a minute or two.

On mine the sensor is about the size of a dime and is about 3 feet feet from the plug.

Paula

Old 10-28-2010, 11:29 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
Thanks Paula! My heat tape must be the same as yours. I have the dime-sized sensor against the white water supply hose and wrapped in insulation. I will try the ice cube test, and if that works then I will work on conducting cold to the sensor.

It's supposed to be warm for a few days, which gives me a chance to sort this out before the next freeze-up causes another non-shower morning!

Old 10-29-2010, 07:04 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
The heat tape idea is not defective. That's only step 1.Step 2 is to put the foam meant for home plumbing ove the hose.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:14 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Dog Nite View Post
The heat tape idea is not defective. That's only step 1.Step 2 is to put the foam meant for home plumbing ove the hose.

Ricky
Did that, still froze! I think the heat tape either did not turn on (per Paula's suggestion) or is defective.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:44 AM   #19
x

XXXX , XXXX
Dan are you sure it was your water line that froze. maybe it was the campgrounds line or the faucet. The steel faucet or tap will get colder first and freeze.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:48 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Movin-in is mistaken if he thinks minimum temps at 8,000 feet in Colorado are going to be 10 degrees. Minus 10 in a warm year is more like it. In Grand Lake Colorado at 8,400 feet my recording thermometer showed the minimum of -32 last winter. Fortunately, I was in Mexico and the Airstream was in Tucson.
dmac has real world experience living in Denver at 5200 feet. Despite his ingenuity, he is pushing the envelope living all winter in a poorly insulated Airstream.
Wanabe full timers are better off living at the Y or taking their Airstreams to the sunbelt.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:57 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Dan are you sure it was your water line that froze. maybe it was the campgrounds line or the faucet. The steel faucet or tap will get colder first and freeze.
The campground faucet is heated. It has two spigots... I opened the "spare" and water flowed fine, so I think it's good to that point. I'm wondering if the heater in the campground piping "fooled" my heat tape thermostat into thinking it was warmer out, causing it to not turn on. The heat tape thermostat is not too far from the heated spigot. I will check it out this weekend.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:04 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by handn View Post
Movin-in is mistaken if he thinks minimum temps at 8,000 feet in Colorado are going to be 10 degrees. Minus 10 in a warm year is more like it. In Grand Lake Colorado at 8,400 feet my recording thermometer showed the minimum of -32 last winter. Fortunately, I was in Mexico and the Airstream was in Tucson.
dmac has real world experience living in Denver at 5200 feet. Despite his ingenuity, he is pushing the envelope living all winter in a poorly insulated Airstream.
Wanabe full timers are better off living at the Y or taking their Airstreams to the sunbelt.
Last winter I rented a townhome in Denver. There were long period of cold, which is concerning to me! Grand Lake is much colder than here, of course.

I am here "temporarily" (although it's been 15 months now) and don't want to sign a lease and can't afford much since my income mostly goes home to pay for the house and family bills. Anyway, I will take it one month at a time. There are many other campers at this RV park who stay year round... brrrr.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:07 AM   #23
x

XXXX , XXXX
Dan your thoughts on the campground heater fooling your tstat sound plausible. One other spot to chack would be your city water connection. Again it's metal and may have froze there. Check your interior piping as well. I had one spot where the main supply line went under the floor to cross over from roadside to curbside. The exact spot where it went under the floor was right at the same spot the fridge drew in fresh air through the belly. On very cold days it would freeze there and I had to use a hair dyrer to thaw it out. Your trialer may be different though brcause it is so much newer than mine.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:15 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
I ran the heat tape up-to and along the trailer's city water connection, and insulated it too. From there that pipe goes inside and under the rear corner bed area. Since no heat is in that area I bought a small thermostatically controlled electric heater and put it back there. I also put a remote thermometer in there, and it is staying 43 F or higher. So, I'm pretty sure the hose froze.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:32 AM   #25
ALUMINUM OBSSESSION

1993 34' Limited
Hamilton , Ontario
That sounds like a good idea!! It does get cold in your area!!
Old 10-29-2010, 10:36 AM   #26
ALUMINUM OBSSESSION

1993 34' Limited
Hamilton , Ontario
If heat tape doesn't work ,perhaps a heat cable that you would use in eave troughs might work. Wrap it around the water inlet .
Old 10-29-2010, 10:55 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Don't wrap heat tape over itself. That will burn it out fast. It only lasts a few years anyway. I think I have seen heated hoses in catalogues for winter use. Have you looked in the Camping World on I-70 near 38th and Youngsfield?

If we sell our house in the winter, we are planning in living in our trailer in Santa Fe until we find another house. While SF isn't as cold as Denver, it is at 7,000', so we may have the same issues.

Gene
Old 10-29-2010, 11:25 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Virginia Beach normally has six to eight weeks of "winter" but the temperature rarely gets below the 20's (F). Nonetheless the old propane tanks take a beating when that oinking piggy furnace runs. If you're really in cold - like Colorado - I'd say a pair of 100lb or a single 250lb tank, with auto refill, is an absolute necessity. I'd also keep the factory tanks topped off to get you through a bad night when the big tanks run out prematurely. Here I just keep a standard "refill/exchange" tank or two. And of course the 30's I have on the Airstream only run out at 3 AM.

More and more campgrounds are charging for electricity because so many campers have space heaters of one kind or another, but I'm not sure that as inefficient as the furnaces are, electricity might truly be cheaper.

As for "professional skirting" on a trailer - in Colorado - I'd get it anyway even with the snaps. There's another newer Airstream in my campground with a skirt made of Zipdee fabric that matches his awning. His is VELCROED on and the prickly side, which is on the trailer, is the "glue on" kind. He uses black Velcro and glues it just below the bottom band where the floor is attached. I think he actually pulls off the velcro in the summer - the glue will dissolve with veggie oil. I do think though that the wheel well covers have traditional snaps. I don't think that the fabric alone would offer that much protection especially in Colorado, but who knows what evil lurks under it? If you carefully trimmed the pink stryofoam and then covered it with nicely tucked in ZipDee fabric, could they really object? Of course ZipDee fabric itself isn't cheap either.

Paula