Old 12-14-2010, 01:38 PM   #155
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
It should but air bubbles in the water line or low water pressure may cause a problem. It's best to open a hot water faucet to make sure the air is out of the line. You can also open the pressure relief valve to see if water comes out (do this when the water is still cold).

Gene

Old 12-15-2010, 08:15 AM   #156
1 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Niceville , Florida
No such thing as a dumb question.... I was wondering the same thing while reading these comments.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:47 AM   #157
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Mine has shut off ball valves on inlet and outlet at the water heater, I suppose I could shut them and run with the water heater empty. If they're shut, it's hard to get water into the water heater.
Shouldn't be too hard to check if there's water in the water heater tank, there'd be the hose bib at the tank, the pop off valve, or see if you have hot water inside.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:56 PM   #158
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
Update on the heat pump... with the thermostat set to "Heat Pump" last night, I was surprised this morning to find the furnace running. Apparently it got cold enough to do the automatic switchover. As the day warmed up it switched back automatically. This is great news that will save on the heat bill.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:04 PM   #159
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
It got down to ~0 F last night, and is about that now. The cold water line froze between the curb (kitchen) side of the trailer and the street (bathroom) side. The hot water pipe is still working.

Looking at the trailer manual I learned that water lines go from curbside to streetside under the floor, apparently above the fresh water tank. I pulled up the curbside closet floor panel and found where the pipes head down. I also found where a heat duct branches at a "T", with a ~2" flexible heat duct heading towards the underfloor opening where the water pipes go. However, the heat duct does not go into that hole, just in the vicinity. It appears that Airstream didn't quite put it where it needed to go, so very little heat was getting to the fresh water tank or underfloor pipes. I placed the end of the duct down into that opening and am hoping that it will defrost my pipe!

While looking around in there I was thouroughly unimpressed with the quality of assembly. Looks like a couple kids put the wiring, plumbing, and heating together. No pride of craftsmanship.

Anyway, if others suffer from frozen pipes this is one place to check!
Old 12-31-2010, 07:38 PM   #160
x

XXXX , XXXX
Dan I had similar problems on my trailer. A quick fix is to use a hair dryer pointed down where the line goes through the floor to cross over the trailer. This would only happen in extreme cold weather like your'e having now. Hope this helps you.
Happy New Year.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:24 PM   #161
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
I don't have a hair dryer, but I pointed my little electric space heater in that direction. It was annoying not having the cold water work. Couldn't take a shower. The cold water line finally melted late this morning. The temps are supposed to be a little warmer for the next few days so it should be okay now.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:28 AM   #162
x

XXXX , XXXX
Dan get yourself one of the cheap travel hair dryers. It will fit right into the hole in the floor next to the pipe. When I had the problem it took only minutes to thaw out the line. I had to do it first thing in the morning and once more when I got home from work.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:06 PM   #163
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Dan, let the water drip overnight. That costs you nothing, the electric for a hair dryer does cost.

Gene
Old 01-14-2011, 10:29 PM   #164
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
My water line froze again a few days ago. I bought a hair dryer, and blew it down the hole where the water pipe goes under the floor. But even after an hour or more of heating it was still frozen. The weather warmed up and it eventually melted. At least I have a hair dryer now!

Off topic... After 19 months of living alone 800 miles from my home and family, I finally turned-in my resignation letter today. So I'll be unemployed, but headed home to MN. I am counting the days. We have saved up enough money to last awhile, but we must cut expenses to a minimum. I have two job interviews lined up, so I am hopefull.

I will tow the trailer from CO to MN in just 2 weeks from now. I hope the weather is good, as I'd hate to have trailer sway on ice.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:12 AM   #165
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Dan

Glad to hear that you are heading home in two weeks. I can not imagine being 800 miles away from my family for 19 months. Lets hope for a winter thaw in two weeks and safe travels for you. I am happy for you and your family.

Dan
Old 01-15-2011, 07:39 PM   #166
2 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Louisville , Kentucky
good luck to you dmac and thanks for the posts. your experience and the feedback you've been given i've had a trouble free 1st fulltime winter. plenty warm, no freezes and looking forward to spring so i can get to work on this gem.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:09 PM   #167
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac View Post
Off topic... After 19 months of living alone 800 miles from my home and family, I finally turned-in my resignation letter today. So I'll be unemployed, but headed home to MN. I am counting the days. We have saved up enough money to last awhile, but we must cut expenses to a minimum. I have two job interviews lined up, so I am hopefull.
All the best luck to you and your family, Dan!
Old 01-16-2011, 04:55 PM   #168
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Dan, good luck with those interviews. I don't know how you held out so long, but the pressures of money can drive us to do things we never thought we'd do. Let's hope for a clear highways back home.

Gene