Old 02-07-2008, 03:39 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohillgrish
mtmagpie,
Looks, and sounds, like you have a pretty good handle on this winter camping business. Next to your 20 below, my 5 below sounds piddly. Head'in up Montana way this summer around the Bozeman-Great Falls area. Can't find Colstrip in my handy dandy RoadMaster Atlas. Will do a little Google earth, but is it anywhere near Bozeman-Great Falls?. If so, is there anything I "must see"?
No wonder you couldn't find it in your atlas. You shoulda been lookin for Cold-strip , not Colstrip.

My wife makes me leave Montana in October, and our unit goes into storage just west of Bozeman for the winter, but now I can tell her that if we'd stay, there'd be 2 families in trailers in MT during the winter.

Where we are in Paradise Valley though, if the cold won't kill ya, the wind shur as Help will.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:32 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
colstrip , Montana
not any problems to speak of

the worst would have to be that the windows fog up when take bath and cook, that should be better when we get the range hood working, i thought when get time that we should perhaps cut some plexiglass and sandwich with longer screws between the screens and windows to form a bit of thermal type window, didn't want to do plastic it will also be better when the rest of interior aluminum is up, tried to enter more picts but guess am at my size limit so no more room. if anyone wants more picts can email me and i could send some that way. the worst of cold is over i think 30 degrees is really nice...

Old 02-09-2008, 11:02 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
fort wayne , Indiana
winter living

awesome, i spent last winter in my a.s. in west virginia and had a great time. no 20 below though. that suburban furnace definetly will keep you toasty. i wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

wishing you well

crowbar
Old 04-21-2008, 09:12 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
colstrip , Montana
update, still good, and spring is here we made it!

no problems occured we made it thru the winter alive well and happy. building house this fall/spring and will rather miss our airstream living... spring is here and all is well... insulation worked very well... nothing froze up, suburban furnace did well though was loud... tankless water heater held with us w/out issues.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:04 AM   #19
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmagpie
no problems occured we made it thru the winter alive well and happy. building house this fall/spring and will rather miss our airstream living... spring is here and all is well... insulation worked very well... nothing froze up, suburban furnace did well though was loud... tankless water heater held with us w/out issues.
Very cool,
Glad you made it through the winter. Its still winter here in western Montana. Snow over the weekend and more today.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 01:38 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Intown , New Jersey
How hard was it to winterize your Airstream? You mentioned you put foil bubble wrap in the walls, was that easy to do? Also, how did you install your Suburban heater? I'm guessing you replaced an existing one with a better one?
Old 05-10-2008, 11:21 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
colstrip , Montana
was easy to do once skin removed from inside of the airstream, used spray glue to hold the layers of foil up ... yes we installed the heater in place of existing one. new propane lines, new wiring.. replaced plumbing. converted to 110v. wiring. got a tankless water heater by thermatemp? they are only ones with proper rv tankless heaters. think that is the brand, can't remember rightnow... they make one that also has floor water heat ... which would be quieter then that suburban furnace though more money, we also insulated the floor with fiberglass... removed holding tanks as using reg. sewer hookups. other then some condensation we had no problems.