Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-09-2017, 10:39 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' International
Boise , Idaho
Winter dry camping -- literally

I'm wondering how it is to take a winterized trailer camping in cold weather. I'd have to deal with having no running water, but as someone who has tent camped for decades this is not a deal breaker. I'd spend the day fishing and hiking, and the evening bundled up with the furnace on and maybe watching a movie via generator power. I'd assume lows in the 20's, no snow in the forecast and a couple hours from home.

What other things might I need to think about? Have you done this? Why isn't this more common?

Thanks,
Adam
afk314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:05 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by afk314 View Post
What other things might I need to think about? Have you done this? Why isn't this more common?
I haven't actually dry-camped in winter. I still had an electric hookup, but due to prevailing conditions I did without the water hookup and sewer hookup, so my experience wasn't exactly like you envision, but close enough, perhaps.

One of the main reasons winter camping isn't more common is that Airstreams aren't insulated as 4-season trailers. You will lose a lot of heat through the metal skin, skylights and roof vents, and windows. That will require a lot of propane going through your furnace to replace that heat. Especially if you leave a window and your bathroom roof vent cracked open to provide air exchange and keep the interior from getting stuffy from high CO2/low oxygen.

Also, condensation will be a problem on the interior of every outside wall and/or window. Everything from your breath to the stove burners adds water vapor to the inside air. Running a dehumidifier will help, if you have battery power to do it. Dehumidifiers don't dry the air quickly enough to just run one while you're on generator power; you need it on all the time.

Also, unless you go to a porta-potty for waste elimination, or have an outhouse or slit latrine handy outside or a composting toilet inside, you won't be camping completely waterless. You'll still need to flush, for sanitary reasons and odor control. Fortunately, you can pour water from jugs to flush with, and flushing water can be a 50/50 mix of water and RV antifreeze.

You can heat water on the stove for a sponge bath, but you can also go waterless for bathing (if you have short hair, or no hair like me) by using waterless hand sanitizer to wash all of your skin instead of just your hands. You won't actually feel as clean that way, but your skin will be 99% germ-free!
Old 10-16-2017, 06:40 PM   #3
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by afk314 View Post
I'm wondering how it is to take a winterized trailer camping in cold weather. I'd have to deal with having no running water, but as someone who has tent camped for decades this is not a deal breaker. I'd spend the day fishing and hiking, and the evening bundled up with the furnace on and maybe watching a movie via generator power. I'd assume lows in the 20's, no snow in the forecast and a couple hours from home.

Thanks,
Adam
I've done it...just have a 7-gallon water container just like I used when tent camping. Flushed the toilet using RV Antifreeze. I use a Mr. Heater Little Buddy catalytic heater that uses the 1 lb propane bottles (which I refill from a 20# cylinder at home...see youtube for how...much cheaper than buying them). The Little Buddy needs a bit of ventilation, so I crack a couple windows. Keeps the trailer very comfy even in the 20s. Even though it's probably OK, I do not sleep with the Little Buddy running. I do make sure I have a good charge on the batteries and will set the furnace to run at night. I like it colder and bundle up, so I set my thermostat to 50 or 55 only. Then back to the Little Buddy during the day when I'm in the trailer, to conserver batteries by not using the furnace. A bottle of fuel lasts a good part of the day (I keep it on "low" setting).

Basically the Airstream is an Aluminum tent with comfy bed, toilet, and a range to make coffee. Still mostly cook outside on the campstove.

I have also dry winter camped with an electric hookup which makes things easier. Didn't use the furnace at all, just a small 1500 watt ceramic heater at night, and an oil-filled heater during the day. Both kept things toasty. (I didn't want to leave the ceramic on if I was out during the day and had to leave the pup in the trailer, I felt the oil was safer. That's why I have both types).

As noted, condensation is an issue. Keep the trailer ventilated and that will help.

Enjoy the peace and quiet...hardly anybody else out there!
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote