Old 11-13-2006, 11:20 AM   #1
Rivet Master
1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
winter driving/towing

In 100 words or more/less:

What are your absolute best tips for traveling with your a/s and tow vehicle in rainy weather?

codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:34 AM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Originally Posted by codybear
In 100 words or more/less:

What are your absolute best tips for traveling with your a/s and tow vehicle in rainy weather?
Slow down and increase following distance and if it gets too bad pull over and wait it out...BTW Rain is summer, spring, fall and winter weather around here I thought you were going to ask about using chains on the AS in the snow As far as that goes I will avoid driving in the snow at all costs, I can drive just fine it is all the other idiots that I am worried about

__________________ many little time...
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
We lived in Davis for years so know what winter storms in the Valley are like. Things you need to consider: Traction, winds, visibility. The combination of wind and reduced traction can be very serious. I imagine that sway control is very important as would weight distribution.

Tire inflation is critical in wet conditions:
As this article says speed is also critical.

So, make sure your tires are properly inflated, slow down, and watch out for gusty wind.

If it doesn't feel safe, it isn't. Stop and wait it out.

In late October this year while heading back to California we got caught in a small overnight snow storm in Western Nebraska. In the morning it was no longer snowing so we headed out and started across Wyoming. After a few miles, I just wasn't comfortable with the combination of winds, wind gusts, and road surface. So I pulled off on a freeway ramp and parked. The ramp was full of tucks and commercial transporters hauling trailers and fifth wheels.

Waited until it had warmed up and dried off a bit and then headed out.

During the drive across Wyoming we saw at least 15 semi's, TTs, and Fifth Wheels that had gone off the road. Damage varied from just needing a tow back onto the road to complete disasters with the box off the bed of the semi trailer and a fifth wheel that had completely crushed its tow vehicle.
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion - The Dalai Lama

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:37 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have done a lot of Airstream towing in rainy weather, including driving through the remnants of Hurricane Alberto earlier this year.

Our number one tip is to reduce speed. If you have done this and you are still not comfortable, pull off and stop. If possible, not on the shoulder. Get off at an exit (on the Interstate) or completely off the road on other highways. Always remember that others can't see real well either, and want to stop.

Never use your cruise control on wet roadways (this applies with or without your AS). A momentary loss of traction can cause the systems to significantly accelerate trying to come back to the set speed.
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 03:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master
2004 30' Classic Slideout
College Town USA , Virginia
NO cruise control

Moosetags' NO CRUISE CONTROL tip is a darned good piece of advice. If we could all heed that one and next, Slow down and/or get off the highway and wait it out, we'd all have less towing stress in extremely wet weather.
Happy Trails
In dog years, I'm dead!
ZoominC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 04:13 PM   #6
Retired Moderator
1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
if you run with a friction sway control back it off.

turn your brake controller down to the bare minimum you are comfortable with.

slow down.

this is advice for snow, works for rain also.

you call them ferrets, i call them weasels.
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 04:19 PM   #7
Site Team
, Minnesota
Understeer. What causes it and how to adjust your driving for it. I think the recommendation is to release the friction anti-sway. I don't know what you can do if you have a Dual Cam or Eaz-Lift.

If you reduce the bar tension to reduce the 'keep going straight' effect, you are just unloading the steering axle and making the problem as bad or worse.

I guess pull over and boon-dock at the nearest truckstop.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 06:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master
1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Understeer is a result of having a hitch behind the bumper.The trailer response to steering efforts is going to give you more steering effect that you thought you called for. This is a major influence in many people's sway problems in normal highway conditions and can be a real issue in critical circumstances.

There is no need to disable or reduce sway damping devices except maybe in black ice conditions (IMHO). Only then is the damping going to create problems with steering traction and by then you have other more critical problems to concern you.

Don't confuse the sway damping mechanisms with the load leveling mechanisms. You can always dismiss sway damping without impacting load leveling - at least with the normal brake bar, Reese DC, Equal-i-zer, and Blue Ox mechanisms. Differing techniques, some easier, some more difficult, but always possible.

I'll also jump on board with those who say slow down, even to a stop, if you are not comfortable with how your rig handles the road. Discretion is the better part of valor when it comes to adverse conditions.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 06:55 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member
2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
Stay on the road and.......

Here are some recent pictures of somone who cold not stay on the road.

So.... tips for winter driving.

1. Stay on the road.
2. Dont' do drugs while driving
3. Insure your vehicle.
4. Keep your registration up to date.
5. Dont' live out of your car or you could lose everything at once.
6. If this does happen please pay your towing bill.

Driver rolled 120 ft down the cliff and walked away with only a cut to his forehead.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Micheal Rapp 008_1.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	28589   Click image for larger version

Name:	Micheal Rapp 012_1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	28590  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Micheal Rapp 017_1.jpg