Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2005, 09:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Allentown , New Jersey
Send a message via Yahoo to Larry71
Winter Camping in Florida Question

I have been thinking about camping in Florida for a few months this winter. I live in NJ and will have to winterize the Airstream by November but won't go to Fl until Jan and Feb. I will haul the camper to Florida still winterized and once in FL, I will charge up the water stystem and begin living in the camper.

While in Florida we might stay with friends for a week of two. If I put the AS in storage will I have to winterize it during this period of time? I know that some nights in central Fl it can get down to 32 degrees. Will will it be OK if it gets warmer during the daytime? If I just empty all the water tanks but don't put in the anti-freeze will it be OK? I know these questions may sound dumb but I don't want to keep repeating the winterizing process if it isn't necessary.

Does anyone have any experience on what to expect while camping in Florida in the winter months. Any advice would be appreciated.
Larry71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 09:51 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

florida and winter

We live in Orlando and camp all over central and north florida from nov-may. We didn't winterize our airstream last year, we got it in January. If we get freezing weather when it's cold it is usually only for a period of hours during the middle of the night. I don't know if that would present a problem. Even on the coldest days which are rare, the highs get up to 50 (that would be a very cold day!) We were camping at Stephen Foster State Park in White Springs last January, up near Lake City near the Georgia line, and it got down to about 32 at night. We didn't have any problem. We did use the heat though! Don't know if that helps keep all the tanks warm. If you are camping from Orlando on down you'll have warmer weather I couldn't see that you would have a problem.

That is one of the most beautiful and well kept state park campgrounds we've ever been at. Not too far from the interstate. Can't wait to go back.

Camping in Florida in the winter is the best. I keep saying that because right now it is so unbelievably hot, that dreaming of camping is the only thing getting me through this sauna we are continually living in. The only great thing about it is last year this time, we had no air conditioning due to Hurricane Charlie going right over our house, so I'm thankful we can crank up the A/C.

Good luck!
Barbara
2005 25' Safari Special Edition
red2dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:32 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I stayed in my Airstream from the last week in January to the first week in May last year, just north of Gainesville. We had one night that it went below freezing, and lots of nights that the furnace ran!.

This past year, we had about 7 nights it went below freezing, one was around 22*F! I did winterize last winter.

Lots of great places to camp down here. Get your reservations in early!
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:50 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1984 29' Sovereign
Riverview , Florida
I live in Tampa and don't winterize my A/S. It doesn't get cold enough to worry about it. It may get to freezing once or twice a year but only last a few hours.......
newae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 06:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Yes, we spent the last two winters in Polk County and never needed to winterize. A night of light frost will not harm your Airstream.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 07:11 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
From Tampa South, No.

I have lived in Florida for 22 years, and have never winterized my trailers since I have been here. The only time I should have, was around Christmas time in 1990, the weather was 35 in the day, and 18 at night. There were no problems directly attributable to the cold.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

We stay in North Florida near Gainsville every winter (near Pick's home). Every year for the past five winters we have had a handful of nights below freezing. One year we left the trailer for a few weeks, and we had a burst pipe near the water heater, caused by freezing. We now always winterize. Nick.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:21 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Allentown , New Jersey
Send a message via Yahoo to Larry71
Thanks so much for all the adivce. I'm thinking now that I might leave the propane heater on at about 40 degrees while it is stored. I imagine the battery will keep the thermostat working for a few weeks and I should not use much propane if most times the temperature is above 40 degrees. Can you think of any problems with this solution?
Larry71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 12:11 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry71
Can you think of any problems with this solution?
Larry, provided you are plugged into 120v AC mains supply that would be good. The trailer batteries would only run the furnace for a few hours. The fan is the big power consumer. Nick.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:35 AM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry71
Thanks so much for all the adivce. I'm thinking now that I might leave the propane heater on at about 40 degrees while it is stored. I imagine the battery will keep the thermostat working for a few weeks and I should not use much propane if most times the temperature is above 40 degrees. Can you think of any problems with this solution?
The only thing I can think of, is if the wind blows out the pilot light. If the pilot stays lit, adn your trailer remains plugged into shore power, and, of course, it doesn't run out of propane, it should be fine.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:46 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Terry makes an excellent point about the pilot light. It's a good investment to fit one of the battery powered automatic re-lighters that fit inside the heater door. Mine has proved itself very useful. I frequently hear it sparking away in gusty winds. Nick.