Old 11-23-2006, 12:15 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
1975 27' Overlander
fort wayne , Indiana
Rivet winter 06' camped out in w.v.

i am camping out in my airstream this winter in west virginia. i have been here for twelve weeks and getting ready for the cold weather. the furnace is working well. i have added a couple of space heaters to save on propane, bales of straw and drop lites underneath. had to swap out water heater at campsite, but thats another story.

i'm at the parents house for a few days to enjoy the thanksgiving day holiday in ma. don't have easy internet access by campsite yet. will be working on that.

if anyone is/has spent time w/ airstream in cold weather feel free to ad to the thread. stories, advice questions. i have enjoyed living in the camper so far and look forward to winter.

" If everything is working, something is wrong ! "
crowbar68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 01:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Using the search tool, look for the RubySlippers thread on a winter living experience in Missouri. Lots of ideas and things to think about. Good luck, and stay safely warm. ~G

1995 Airstream Classic Limited 30' ~ Gypsy
1978 Argosy Minuet, 6.0~Minnie/GPZWGN
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 05:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master
2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
We haven't done it but my in-laws did it in NC near Raleigh several years back. It was one of the coldest winters on record for that area. I can say from their stories that you should have enough fuel for 5 days AS A RESERVE - not connected to the camper as a backup. They went to bed expecting light snow and were snowed in for a week. Ice and sleet had shut the rural area they were in down. They milked the propane and then had to walk to a store 2 miles away - BUT UP HILL - to refill a 7.5 gal tank every 24 hours. It was cold, and I remember their phone calls.
Michael & Tina with Layla and Preston BZ
The family has grown.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 06:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Just a caution to be on the lookout. The straw bales around the belly and warmth created by the drop lights are a huge welcome invitation to all sorts of critters, especially mice. They can squeeze thnrough a dime sized hole and create havoc with the insulation in the belly.
WBCCI 24291
New England Unit
Metropolitan NY Unit
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 06:11 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
1975 27' Overlander
fort wayne , Indiana

i thought about those mice and i am using moth balls as a deterent. no mice yet! but it hasnt been all that cold either. maybe my dog will get some exercise.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:40 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member
1975 27' Overlander
fort wayne , Indiana
cold and snowy

the airstream is holding up well. we have had cold temperatures for 2 weeks and no issues 0-25 at night. keep an eye on things daily. the water system works well and the furnace is more than adequate. everybody in the camp is afraid to use their water (s.o.b.'s) and don't. as it turns out i drive by the airstream factory when i go home to check on things. i plan to tour. when spring breaks will have them do a few window repairs i don't want to mess with (dual pane fixed).

winter camping has been fun in the ohio valley and not much morework. i would not hesitate to do again. a great expirence so far.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:52 AM   #7

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Glad to hear from a truly intrepid camper and pleased that you are doing so well. You're an inspiration.

pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 12:09 PM   #8
Classic 30
Sum Wear , Ohio
Excellent! It must be a wondeful feeling listening to the winter winds howling outside, while you are cozy and warm in your little bubble. The next few nights should be a good test.

The one thing I always enjoyed about winter backpacking was you didn't need to carry a tent. It can't rain.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 02:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master
1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
But it can snow!!!

And boy is it right now. About 24 inches and the next 4-6 hours we are getting 2-3 inches an hour. Over 30 inches expected here in Norwich, NY. State of Emergency and roads close in the county tonight at 7pm to 6am.
Rob, Zoe', Stanton, Bryce, Braedon and Finn Baker
Do you Listen to the
Plymouth, NY 13832
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders -

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 08:56 AM   #10
1971 27' Overlander
Pumpkintown , South Carolina
I've spent 3 Southern Appalachian winters full-time in mine so far -- temps generally mid-teens to mid-twenties at night -- very seldom as low a zero. Propane use averages around a gallon a day, but then I don't mind wearing a jacket indoors, and a $700 sleeping bag sure helps! Condensation is an ongoing struggle, but more-or-less manageable. I have no fresh water hookup, and so just leave the supply lines dry and carry water.

If all goes as planned, I'll be kicking it up several dozen notches and pulling the trailer up onto my old mining claims at 12,000' in Colorado this summer. Up there, it almost never drops below -60 unless you count wind chill, and seasonal snowfall is typically less than forty feet.

If by some quirk I survive, I'll be sure to post a journal.

It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
Foureagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:37 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member
1975 27' Overlander
fort wayne , Indiana
winter camping was cool. didn't have any condensation issues, i think my camper is a little breezey and will address it soon. used a little more propane than i thought but the temps swung drasticaly from early morning to day. winter in new england or further north m ight prove to be more of a challenge. would do it again.