Old 07-20-2016, 07:16 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member
2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia
We prefer national and state park camping too because we like space between us and neighbors ( and the natural settings too of course). Last year we spent over a week in Death Valley then went to the Mojave desert. I had reserved us a space in a resort campground in Cathedral City near Palm Springs. Surprisingly ( because it's just not us) we loved it! Sites were green with vegetation, they were closer than we'd like but definately not parking lot campground size sites - these had more room and the feel of some privacy. Park was quiet but had a lot going on amenities wise. And we love Palm Springs! The park was called Outdoor Resorts. Pricy, but they have monthly rates. We would definately go back.

karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:53 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
2006 25' Safari SS SE
Austin in winter & Lincoln in summer , Texas & Montana
Borrego Springs...

We have stayed in Borrego Springs several times, both at the Palm Canyon State Park, and also "free" just outside town. (see pictures) Palm Canyon is nice, reasonable spacing between sites, with full hook-ups and showers, hiking, biking, etc, but it is $28/night. We found we liked the "free" site just outside of town, since you have lots of space and latterly can park just about anywhere without neighbors near by! We take along 5 gal water containers and fill in town when needed. Dumping can be done at the state park site for a day use fee. Borrego Springs has great hiking, wild life, and is 70 miles from La Quinta Costco! San Diego is 90 miles. We met several "full time" folks with expensive rigs, including AS's, who spend weeks at a time out there. Yuma also is supposed to have a few great spots, where you pay $80/year and similar type camping, but close to a lake...we have not been there but it is also mentioned in Don Wright's Guide to Free Campgrounds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Borrego camping site.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	268.4 KB
ID:	267337   Click image for larger version

Name:	Borrego springs.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	255.4 KB
ID:	267338  

gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:10 AM   #17
Rivet Master
1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
[QUOTE=mcaslaon4449;1808653]We have a 2016 22' Sport & plan on spending 4 months or so camping in CA & AZ this winter..... We are asking our fellow Airstreamers for suggestions for RV parks ...QUOTE]

This is in reply to those in the same predicament as you just a bit farther East.

Texas Airstream Harbor is a great spot for snowbirds, and is located on one of the premier Bass lakes in the country. Birding is exceptional.

Assessments per lot are only $600 per year, that means if you park for 4 months the nightly cost is around $5 per night - PLUS you have a fairly secure spot to store your winter stuff you do not need for the rest of the year.

The $600 includes pretty much everything with 3 point hookup, except your private insurance and electricity.

See my signature line below for a link.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 03:23 AM   #18
2017 23' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
New England , Ontario
relocating to new residence or temporary assignment, picking the right one is critical. I have heard of extended hotels who claim to provide stay-at-home comfort. No first hand experience.
EdwardCharet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 11:19 PM   #19
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Re: Campgrounds & Things to Do in Arizona

The following is a list of campgrounds near Phoenix and Tucson (state and regional parks may have a stay limit):

• Cave Creek Regional Park

• White Tank Regional Park

• Lake Pleasant Regional Park

• View Point RV Resort - Free band concert (Mesa, AZ)

• Catalina State Park - See my review on Catalina State Park

• Gilbert Ray Campground

• KOA (Lazydays RV Resort) - Nice, but a little pricey for an extended stay.

See link for things to do in Arizona.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:38 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
Good list Phx, Let me add:
Lost Dutchman State Park
McDowell Mtn Regional Park

And there's always Quartzsite for a quirky fun BLM experience.

The Tucson/Phoenix area is very popular for winter visitors so some of this parks may require a reservations and a move to another spot based in length of stay.

Hittenstiehl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:48 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member
2012 28' International
Oshawa , Ontario
Originally Posted by mcaslaon4449 View Post
We do, however, like the amenities offered at most of these parks. We are asking our fellow Airstreamers for suggestions for RV parks in CA & AZ. Do you have a favorite you'd like to share? I'm sure there areas that are better then others, what are they? Are there places to stay away from? Maybe, Organ Pipe Cactus Nat'al Mon.? What are some of you favorite state parks in CA & AZ? Any help you can give us will be great appreciated. You've been there, we haven't, please share you experiences & opinions. Thank you very much!!
We have spent most of the last three winters in Arizona and the San Diego area. We stayed at one RV resort, the rest at state/national/regional parks. The RV resort was Palm Creek in Casa Grande; very nice place but this isn't the experience we enjoy so we only stayed for one week. That said, although it's a relatively expensive place, they had a good introductory offer of $250 for a week and $550 for one month.

Arizona parks: Lost Dutchman, Catalina and Picacho peak state parks - all excellent. Usury Mountain Regional Park was superb if you like the Sonoran Desert (we also heard great reviews of McDowell Mountain RP). All get somewhat expensive at $30 per night and approach Palm Creek on a monthly basis. Dead Horse Ranch SP in Cottonwood was also excellent but probably on the cool side in January and February (we were there in March).

Note that early reservations are necessary for all parks located near Phoenix and Tucson. We reserved the state parks in May for January and February; the regional parks have a six month reservation window I believe and we reserved in August as I recall and Usury Mountain was already filling up.

You mentioned Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument as a place to stay away from. We have been there the last two years; 5 days in 2015 and 8 days this past winter. It has become one of our favourite parks and there is no worry about safety now (assuming you take a few precautions). The park area has been flooded with Border Patrol agents (about 500 are based in Nearby Why). Right now it's first come, first served but the park is considering making about half the sites reservable. Note the sites are dry camping only (no electricity) but there is a water fill and dump station. We get along fine with our solar panel and batteries otherwise you will need a generator.

The only place we have stayed in S. California is Santee Lakes Recreational Preserve just outside San Diego. It's one our favourite spots and we have stayed there for a month at a time for the past three years. It will be tough to get a spot on a monthly basis now as sites tend to reserve a year in advance (we reserved a spot for next winter in late March before we left). Daily rates are expensive, monthly less so. I recommend the premium sites at the back which I believe are now just under $900 per month plus electricity.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:04 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member
2012 28' International
Oshawa , Ontario
Mea culpa. I seem to recall that Palm Creek has a minimum size of 23 feet (but best to check).
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:25 AM   #23
Rivet Master
1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Our favorites are Organ Pipe and Catalina. We've been to Organ Pipe 3 years in a row and are much more concerned by the growing number of people discovering the park than security. The new Park Ranger has successfully led the effort to "retake the park".

Also recommend Patagonia Lake SP -- great if you like birdwatching. We'll probably go back to Queen Mine RV park in Bisbee if weather cooperates while there. It's less than 10 miles from the Mexican border but can get snow due to it's elevation. You'll probably never be closer to your neighbor, but a few days in Bisbee is worth it to us. Cool town.
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:35 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member
2016 30' Classic
Castle Rock , Colorado
Good info, we are heading south in Nov. and this post has been helpful as we figure out the possibilitys.
meschelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:12 AM   #25
Currently Looking...
Winston Salem , North Carolina
I live in NC and it would be warm enough for me if I were living full time in an AS. I would stay close to the coast though as I think the temps are a bit warmer over there versus the Winston-Salem area. I would think Charleston, SC, would be a no brainer. Keep in mind though that I don't own an AS and I'm not sure how well insulated they are! Best wishes for your plans!

wswhiting is offline   Reply With Quote