Old 12-15-2009, 08:00 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Currently Camping , Pennsylvania
When Do You Begin to See Condensation?

It's been a mild winter here so far, maybe 15 degrees at its coldest, and not for long spells. I haven't noticed any condensation yet, except after showering. What temps/conditions do you begin to see it?

Old 12-15-2009, 08:05 PM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Montgomery , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
I rarely get it in my Trade Wind. On the other hand, it doesn't seal very tight. Maybe it will after I get new gaskets all around.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:16 PM   #3

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
There are many variables. From my experience even in the low 30s and upper 20s, we'd need more info:
1. Leaving roof vents ajar?
2. Leaving windows resting slightly open?
3. Furnace on?
4. How many sleeping inside?

We see a lot of window condensation if we are closed up tight with 2 people inside. Running the furnace may not be all that important to condensation.

There are moist cold conditions (usually above 20 degrees) and dry cold conditions (may be below 30 degrees). These affect how readily nighttime respiration moisture dissipates through venting of ajar windows or roof vents.

There are relative measures each of us can take tuned to our particular circumstance. I'm not sure there's an instant formula but it would be possible to discuss this further if we knew how you were operating.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I didn't see a lot in mine while I was living in it last winter because I often had a roof vent open and the window over the kitchen sink cracked. I wonder too if it helps to live in a place where the outdoor humidity, relative to indoor humidity, is fairly high?
Canada
AIR #11529
http://northvancouvermodern.blogspot.com/
Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - Mame Dennis
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
If the outdoor humidity is high, then the movement of moisture out of the trailer will be slower.
Al
Old 12-15-2009, 08:29 PM   #6

1975 25' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Condensation is dew. It forms when the dew point is reached on the inner skin based on the relative humidity of the air inside the trailer. Take a hot and you raise the humidity way up and dew (condensation) forms everywhere. Open a window and the humidity lowers and no dew. The better sealed your trailer is, the higher the humidity and the better the chances are for condensation.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:38 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Currently Camping , Pennsylvania
Wow, thank you all for the great info!
Old 12-15-2009, 09:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Crawford , Colorado
Warm air holds a lot more water vapor than cool air. If the warm air hits a cool surface such as the windows there is likely to be condensation (dew). If the humidity is higher, the aluminum skin inside will also see dew.

Gene
Old 12-16-2009, 03:55 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Denver , Pennsylvania
I had massive issues with condensation! To the point it was "raining" inside (search for the thread by me "It's raining inside GRRRR"). Where I am the condensation issues started when the outside temps were in the 40'sF. But, the relative humidity was high. It's myself & 6 cats in here. I ended up controlling it by running the A/C & heat together for about a half hour a day. Anyhow, the exterior relative humidity, remembering to open vents when cooking, showering, & washing dishes, and the number of occupants, will all have a much greater effect then the exterior temperature does. See, an old dog can learn new tricks LOL
Old 12-16-2009, 09:58 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
I had a little dew, well I should say frost, on my upper porthole windows during my recent excursion up north. Temps were in the single digits and teens, but the air was pretty dry. We took showers and all, but made sure to run the exhaust fan during and a little after. No real issues though.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:18 AM   #11
NA

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude , WNY
No condensation for us, unless high humidity with the furnace on.

Trial and error, found that leaving the bathroom vent open and propping the range hood vent open outside usually does the trick.

Extreme...run the hood fan on low for awhile.

Never have problems at all using the heat pump... under proper conditions.
Old 12-26-2009, 04:43 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
We have a small ceramic heater that seems to dry out the air for us. The humidity is good for your skin if it's not raining inside like 01 said. However when I pull open the shield to the curbside 'vista view' it will drip some water from there so we close it til most of the moisture is gone.
...or ask the forums...

AIR-Quarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 07:38 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
We have been fighting the condensation issue for two winters in Texas and two summers in Alaska and have decided that if it is humid outside, then measures must be taken to reduce the humidity inside. We added a small dehumidifier and are keeping the inside temperature slightly warmer than we normally would, especially on cold days and nights. As was noted earlier, warm air will hold more moisture than cold air so keeping the temperature warmer will prevent the moisture from condensing on surface areas inside. I am also using clear plastic film (Walmart) to insulate some of the more troublesome windows that do not get opened. That has resolved the condensation issue on those surfaces. When I get back to Alaska this spring I am going to try the heater and air conditioner trick mentioned above. I think that doing that will quickly dry the air inside and will provide another method of controlling the humidity, especially when showering or cooking.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:55 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1967 24' Tradewind
1975 31' Sovereign
Estancia , New Mexico
There are 3 factors:
1. relative humidity-as explained above for a given volume of air warm air can accomodate more humididty. The air does not actually hold the humidity as the humididty is in the form of water vapor, the gaseous state of H20. The reason why is the warmer the air the more the air expands, leaving more room for water vapor.
2. dewpoint- the temperature at which a volume of air reaches 100% relative humitiy and water vaper begins to condense out it's gaseous form to liquid (or in some cases directly to solid)
3. altitude and barometric pressure- higher air has a lower barometric pressure and is thinner. Therefore it can accomodate water vapor with a lower relative humididty. This is why Denver does not feel as sticky as Houston.

Are you thoroughly confused yet? I tried my best.