Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2015, 08:27 AM   #1

1960 22' Safari
lovington , Illinois
we want to escape winter...ideas are welcome

So our ideas are from end of October to March , to get away from the cold and snow, and head to a climate where being outside is more tolerable to enjoy the things we love. We thought about the southern most part of Tennessee to the border of Alabama or around the area. I looked online at small lots of land to acquire and there seems to be much to offer. The plan would then be to set up a small peaceful site. Florida is out of the question......lived there once and we don't like it at all.
DeborahnJes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Both military retirees, we've lived in Virginia, Florida, Tennessee, Arizona, and California, plus some northern states and overseas, and on the seas.

To enjoy consistent summer-like weather in mid-winter, look to south Florida, way south Texas, southern Arizona and southern California.

We like them all, but to avoid heavy populations and all that goes with it, we have been spending most of the winters near Tucson, AZ. Not fond of living nearly alone in the desert, we seek out large 55+ RV Resorts for an active and friendly community life as a winter destination. We travel widely throughout the country, often coast to coast, coming and going to sight-see and visit friends and relatives.

We try to take a different route each time, but we're running out of different routes. Looking forward to some winter destinations in southern Florida and California again. We've been doing this for over ten years now, enjoying the heck out of it. Not ready to settle down anytime soon. Well, we're definitely settled in Minnesota lakes country in summer, almost never leave.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I like South Carolina and Georgia, for much more moderate temps than here and without all the crowds of Florida.

Southern Mississippi and Louisiana are also beautiful, more moderate temp-wise, and all of these states are full of history and their own, unique culture.

Maggie
Old 07-28-2015, 10:07 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Tennessee and Northern Alabama are not "outside weather" in my opinion during the winter. Sure, they are better than Northern Minnesota, but you still get ice storms and still have to wear a down jacket much of the time, if you are OK with that then fine, but for me I want to wear shorts in the winter!
Old 07-28-2015, 11:29 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
DnJ
I know you said no to Florida...and I agree to anything south of Daytona/Crystal River. But if you never gave the Big Bend area or north-central Florida a chance you may want to reconsider. Its mostly agricultural, especially the latter, and the Suwanee River/Cedar Key/St. Marks/St. Joe/St. George and Dog Islands are great destinations and not at all like the Florida that (rightfully) turned you off. Safe travels. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:21 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
The Woodlands , Texas
Galveston, Texas. Great restaurants, music, beach and entertainment. Quick trip to Houston for sports, plays, art and festivals.
Air83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
When it gets frigid here in the fortys and thirtys we go to the extreme south fl. Ft Myers, Naples or the keys.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:35 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
On you come to AZ, you will always come here.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:17 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Deep East Texas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeborahnJes View Post
So our ideas are from end of October to March , to get away from the cold and snow, and head to a climate where being outside is more tolerable to enjoy the things we love. We thought about the southern most part of Tennessee to the border of Alabama or around the area. I looked online at small lots of land to acquire and there seems to be much to offer. The plan would then be to set up a small peaceful site...
Give Deep East Texas a look.

One of the perks of Airstream ownership (besides this Forum) are various Airstream only parks across the nation. One of the most affordable is in East Texas. The Texas Airstream Harbor Inc (TAHI) is best suited for me - for many reasons.

You can read more about the Harbor on Lake Sam Rayburn (SE of Lufkin) at:

Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.

Full hookups are only $15 per night if you decide to stay for a week or so. You need not be a WBCCI member to stay at the park - the only requirement is an Airstream product.

TAHI is a non-profit organization, and relies on volunteer labor to keep costs at a minimum.

TAHI is a secure gated community - lots of road and park area to ride bikes on. Birding is second to none in Texas. We are right on the shore of Lake Sam Rayburn, so most any type of fishing is available almost from your parking spot.

TAHI (Texas Airstream Harbor) is a couple of hours north of Houston, so plenty of medical and entertainment are close at hand. Lufkin, Texas (more than 33,000 population) is only a half hour drive away.

It is possible to purchase an existing "cabanna" (usually a 12' X 20' room) with an attached cover for the Airstream for a minimal price - depending on availability. Yearly assessments at this time are only $400 per year. The assessment covers pretty much everything except for phone and electricity. The real benefit of a cabanna is the ability to leave your winter "things" in a secure, locked environment while you travel to cooler climes in the summer.

PM if you have any questions.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:26 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
We live in Tennessee and we go to Florida for the cold months.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I live in a very popular snow bird area, the Mississippi Gulf Coast. Plenty of reasonable priced RV parks that cater to the SB crowd. Mild winters with summers that are miserably hot and humid like today.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:57 PM   #12

1960 22' Safari
lovington , Illinois
So many great ideas. I wondered if we would have to go deeper south into Alabama. We are ok with some cool weather, but not frigid like here. We have talked about Mississippi, New Orleans, even Georgia. A lake that offers lake lots for sale could be a possibility, as well as small wooded lots available zoned for RV. We won't narrow down our area till next spring and summer, as we do short trips in our search. Right now I we are in my final stretch of my cancer plan with 12 weeks of chemo to do yet and one last small surgery after that, so we are close to home this winter .
DeborahnJes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:18 PM   #13
NOAZRK

2004 34' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Kutztown , Pennsylvania
Don't understand why you got a bad opinion of Florida. If you go to the Traveler's Rest Resort web-site you might change your mind about Florida. Try it once and you're likely to return. Great location, shorts and tee shirt usually work all winter, lots to do, multiple shopping districts in each direction using back roads, international flights out of Tampa, 4 miles off I-75, great infrastructure, nice golf course, great place to make friends. What more could you want?
NOAZRK2690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:20 PM   #14
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
A couple of years ago, we “wintered” at the Lazy L&L which is just outside New Braunfels, TX... San Antonio is about 30 mins. away, Austin about an hour and Gruene, about 20 mins... (great music). The Lazy L&L is at the elbow of the Colorado River - beautiful area... Nice thing about them are their winter rates - $395/mo. and that includes electricity. It’s in the Hill country and right by Canyon Lake, also... Oh, weather permitting, they have live music on the weekends at the Dance hall... Guadalupe River RV Tent Camping|Tubes on the Canyon Lake Kayaking Texas|Lazy L and L Campground

And of course, if you like the coast, come to Rockport, TX or Aransas Pass... there are more campgrounds than you can shake a stick at. Padre Island has several nice campgrounds, too...
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:27 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
We always went to Texas Rio Grande Valley from here in Southern Ontario. Great people and no where near as expensive Florida. We did not like Florida either. If we were able to continue I would definitely look into the Airstream TAHI park. It is a bit further north than we are used to and it will have some cold days in January but not more than north Florida or south Georgia. We did stay at Travelers Rest in Florida once. Nice park but at the time it was nearly $900 per month in Jan and Feb whereas Texas was running $400 $500 per month with just as many activities.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:32 PM   #16
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Quartzsite Arizona...
The biggest fun you'll ever have clothed or not!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:43 PM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeborahnJes View Post
A lake that offers lake lots for sale could be a possibility, as well as small wooded lots available zoned for RV. We won't narrow down our area till next spring and summer, as we do short trips in our search.
If you would be willing to join WBCCI, there is a unit in Texas— Texas Gulf Coast Unit— that owns an Airstream-only park— Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc. (TAHI)— on the shore of Sam Rayburn Lake near Zavala, TX. I don't belong to that unit, so I don't know if they have lots for sale or long-term lease, but you can check it out. Contact info: My Road Trip.

Like most campgrounds south of I-20 it's open year-round.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:53 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Brooksville , Florida
Escape Winter

I do not know where you lived in Florida previously, but you should check Camper's Holiday out. The left coast has a lot to offer. Come stay in the campground for a month or two and I believe you will be hooked.
Norm States is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:58 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
If you didn't live in N Fl, you didn't live in Fl. South Fl is either NY south or Cuba north, meaning crowded and fast living.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:22 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1992 35' Airstream 350
Frisco, CO/Scottsdale, AZ , Denver, CO
Arizona was our choice after much research and traveling. We don't do very well in humid climates.
Hal-Gin is offline   Reply With Quote