Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-01-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Niceville , Florida
Using my airstream in winter

I've read a hundred comments on winterizing an airstream. How about suggestions on using my airstream during the winter without having everything freeze solid.
BobOgletree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Your in Florida! How could anything freeze solid?
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:34 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Plant City , Florida
Last year it was cold enough to freeze water on the side walk after being sprayed by my 15yr old brother trying to make it snow. So much that i walked out to my car and busted my @ss. I have not winterized and dont plan on it till we drop below 30 for more that a day. I have just really started to enjoy camping because it has cooled off. If I were you I would just watch the weather. It only takes an hour do do i you have the stuff on hand.

Chris
ck21084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:44 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from across the Bay.

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

As to your questions, we have had our Airstream, Lucy, for going on five years now, and have never winterized her. We live in Santa Rosa Beach, just across the Bay from Niceville. We use Lucy all winter long.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Cold is hard on everything.

If you plan on winter use where daily minimum plus maximum temperatures divided by 2 are below freezing, you will need to take special precautions. Most of the time this involves shutting down the water systems and using bottled water and cassette toilets or equivalent.

If you are on the road in winter conditions, you'll need chains for both the trailer and the tow vehicle. The trailer will get quite cold and you should avoid running any heat while traveling so that can create problems. Salt and road debris can be an issue and need cleaning.

Winter residence can be done, sorta'. Good skirting coupled with a rented propane tank and lot's of heat tape with proper consideration for drainage slope can handle most conditions. Using foil-bubble-foil (or Prodex) cut for vents and windows can also help. Make sure all plumbing lines, even those inside, are insulated.

You will need to ventilate as condensation can be a big problem, tool.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:10 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Birmingham , Alabama
We camp in the winter. Don't hook up the water, just use gallon jugs and leave the gray valve open to drain. Don't use the black tank, use a porta potty or the campsites facilities. That's it. We are going camping for Christmas and it probably won't get colder than +20. If its going to go below freezing while you store it, Consider blowing all the water out of your pipes by hooking up an air compressor to the water connection. I siphon the water out of all the traps and pour in RV antifreeze. It's better than dealing with damaged pipes.
gwchitty is offline   Reply With Quote