Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-30-2014, 11:14 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Use it while Winterized

This has been a rough winter, and it keeps teasing us with a few warm days followed by a hard freeze. I've seen several remarks where folks have dewinterized then needed to quickly get winterized again.

Well, here's an alternative - A friend of mine who hasn't been on the forums for a long time showed me this SIMPLE way to use his Airstream in the dead of winter.

You need a working battery and full propane tanks, bottled water, a teapot or pan, two towels & a washcloth or two, and a drywall tub 1/3 full of kitty litter.
drink the bottled water
sponge bathe with heated bottled water
make hot beverages with bottled water
run the furnace with propane or heaters with electric if you have it
if there are no shower houses, or for 2:00 am usage, figure out what the kitty litter is all about
There is no reason you cannot use any camper on a nice weekend early in the season without worrying about how to get re-winterized in a huge hurry.

Every winter in the past I've gone through the ritual of making up a heated white water hose, and twice I've had the heat tape short out. This winter I did the simple disconnect the hose and carry it inside trick. It's a "wake up" to run outside and reconnect it before having a shower, and trying to skip ANY of the layering because it's only a minute or two to get the thing hooked up - brrrrrr! I quickly decided to always keep the white tank just half full - and was able to keep it from freezing too.

Sometimes we do overthink things in the name of "comfort"

Paula
Old 03-30-2014, 11:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I was with you until figuring out what the kitty litter is for ... If I'm not going to camp in a tent, I'm surely not gonna scratch the litter and have at it like a cat! :-)
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:20 AM   #3
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Call it "EMERGENCY SURVIVAL"! If we listen to the dooms day rhetoric, we should all practise this occasionally.

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:35 AM   #4
Don McKelvay

1994 34' Limited
London , Ontario
Another thing - don't use kitty litter??? but rather windshield washer fluid or RV anti-freeze for the toilet. When we head south in Dec that is what we use.
WBCCI #205
AIR #42
1994 34' Limited
2004 GMC 2500 HD
Hensley Hitch
Don McKelvay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:53 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Akron , Ohio
Just clearing up some confusion...a kitty litter "toilet" works great for short term camping. The trick is to use it in a drywall bucket, NOT your camper's commode! Line the bucket with doubled kitchen trash bags and add a couple of inches of kitty litter. When it needs changed simply toss it into a dumpster, re-line your bucket and add some more kitty litter.

I've used this for primitive tent camping for years and it's cheap and easy.
prudencepb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:55 AM   #6
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We've camped a number of times with a winterized Bambi. It is a little inconvenient, but no big deal. We got this advice from our AS salesman at Can-Am in Ontario.

1. You can travel with a lot of water jugs. Heat up water for tea, &c. in a teakettle on the stove.

2. You can put waste water down your sink and manually flush the toilet (keeping water jugs in the bathroom for that purpose) but just use a chaser of a light anti-freeze. He recommended ordinary windshield water fluid.

3. Keep the furnace on at night.

Our variations:

3. If you don't want to put any waste into system, then travel with some stackable flexible rectangular wash tubs, a big package of wet-wipes (baby wipes,) a large zip-lock freezer bag with ordinary garden peat moss, and sturdy plastic garbage bags of the right size to amply fit into your toilet bowl, and over the rim.

Wash and rinse your dishes in the plastic tubs, and dispose of the water appropriately outside. Use the wet wipes for basic hand-washing. For the toilet, line the bowl with one of your garbage bags, and add a small amount of peat moss-- it's highly absorbant. You can get several flush-free uses this way-- just put a little more peat moss over anything objectionable-looking. Dispose appropriately. (I thought about the sanitation aspect here, but figured dirty disposable diapers wind up in CG dumpsters, anyway.)

4. Try really hard to keep out condensation-- wet towels, jackets, &c either dry outside or in the truck. Esp. at night, leave a vent open to avoid waking up to the sight of condensation trickling down the inside walls.

5. When possible, camp near the CG restroom!
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by prudencepb View Post
Just clearing up some confusion...a kitty litter "toilet" works great for short term camping. The trick is to use it in a drywall bucket, NOT your camper's commode! Line the bucket with doubled kitchen trash bags and add a couple of inches of kitty litter. When it needs changed simply toss it into a dumpster, re-line your bucket and add some more kitty litter.

I've used this for primitive tent camping for years and it's cheap and easy.
Karen... I thought the bucket was obvious as the place to pass one's waste - shame on me. Thanks to my baby sister for clearing up my post! Though lining the toilet with a plastic bag perhaps makes it more comfortable for "setters" than "pointers".
Paula
Old 03-30-2014, 02:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
FYI - the bucket with kitty litter WAS obvious! That's why I panicked. First world problems :-)
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Ditto on the windshield washer fluid. Sal
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:29 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
This has been a rough winter, and it keeps teasing us with a few warm days followed by a hard freeze.

Paula
Thanks for the succinct summary, comments about kitty litter aside. I'm planning a trip north in January, weather permitting.
Air #42313 TAC VA-7 WBCCI #1290
gsmithii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:51 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Reliance Luggable Loo® Toilet : Cabela's
Old 12-26-2014, 01:49 PM   #12
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We bought one of those lug-a-loos during our tent camping days. For the past few years, it's been serving as a compost bucket by the kitchen door. Works really well.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 02:43 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
This has been a rough winter, and it keeps teasing us with a few warm days followed by a hard freeze. I've seen several remarks where folks have dewinterized then needed to quickly get winterized again.

Well, here's an alternative - A friend of mine who hasn't been on the forums for a long time showed me this SIMPLE way to use his Airstream in the dead of winter.

You need a working battery and full propane tanks, bottled water, a teapot or pan, two towels & a washcloth or two, and a drywall tub 1/3 full of kitty litter.
drink the bottled water
sponge bathe with heated bottled water
make hot beverages with bottled water
run the furnace with propane or heaters with electric if you have it
if there are no shower houses, or for 2:00 am usage, figure out what the kitty litter is all about
There is no reason you cannot use any camper on a nice weekend early in the season without worrying about how to get re-winterized in a huge hurry.

Every winter in the past I've gone through the ritual of making up a heated white water hose, and twice I've had the heat tape short out. This winter I did the simple disconnect the hose and carry it inside trick. It's a "wake up" to run outside and reconnect it before having a shower, and trying to skip ANY of the layering because it's only a minute or two to get the thing hooked up - brrrrrr! I quickly decided to always keep the white tank just half full - and was able to keep it from freezing too.

Sometimes we do overthink things in the name of "comfort"

Paula
We do it just like that except for the kitty litter part- and we could do it that way because we traveled with a cat (now deceased cat) with kitty litter, but- they way we do it is poop in a bag and tie it up- For #1 in the middle of the night I usually just wander out to a nearby tree, but men can do that-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote