Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-27-2016, 12:33 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
As I mentioned in post #11 you can look at this link on "camperreview.com" for a comprehensive review of National Park campsite limits by Jim Harmer. Here is his summary. The website has campsite specifics too.

"RVs up to 12′ in length fit in every national park campground in the United States, although there are a few campgrounds that don’t allow RVs at all and are tent only.

RVs up to 19′ in length fit in 98% of all national park service campgrounds.
RVs up to 25′ in length fit in 93% of all national park campgrounds
RVs up to 29′ in length fit in 84% of all national park campgrounds
RVs up to 32′ in length fit in 81% of all national park campgrounds
RVs up to 35′ in length fit in 73% of all national park campgrounds
RVs up to 37′ in length fit in 60% of all national park campgrounds
RVs up to 40′ in length fit in 53% of all national park campgrounds (Remember that many of the parks will only have a few sites this size, however. Book long in advance if reservations are available–otherwise you run the risk of not having a spot)

RVs up to 41′ in length fit in 7% of all national park campgrounds (Remember that many of the parks will only have a few sites this size, however. Book long in advance if reservations are available–otherwise you run the risk of not having a spot)"

He also has a YT video.
Thanks. Great resource.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:48 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPRoberts View Post
...Many people have written about how Airstream measures their trailers differently than other brands, but I've found that the web sites are getting more and more specific about exactly what fits in each site (i.e. "35' motorhome or 27' trailer and no larger due to trees and rocks on the left side of the site"). So, if they've gathered that much specific info, I tend to trust it.....
Well, yes and no. If I am totally unfamiliar with a campground I would follow your advice. With the East side of Glacier Park's campgrounds however, since I've been using them as an adult for over 50 years, I rely on my own experience. Case in point, at Rising Sun, the loops are really tight turns. If you are over 23' full trailer length, drive the loop first unhooked. You really don't want to jam up your outfit, unable to go forward or backward. If you are at Many Glacier then many of the campsites listed as not suitable for 25+ length actually are. I got our 29' AS and tow vehicle, total bumper to bumper length of 49', in a nice pull through site that the ranger and the hosts both asked me how'd I do it, and were skeptical even though it sat there before their eyes. I doubt that either were highly proficient in careful parking. I do carry a small wheel for the jack post, wheel chocks, cable and a small hand winch, but have only had to use that twice in 50+ years. The larger your trailer, the more important it would be to reserve a spot in advance. At Glacier, the St. Mary NPS campground is large, with fairly open sites, fewer trees (less shade) and more maneuverability. These sites have more of a heat load in July-August. All of Glacier Park is beautiful and the West side is lower in elevation, more campgrounds, denser forest, and tons more people and RVs.

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 10:34 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Milford Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcasr View Post
Well, yes and no. If I am totally unfamiliar with a campground I would follow your advice. With the East side of Glacier Park's campgrounds however, since I've been using them as an adult for over 50 years, I rely on my own experience.
That does make perfect sense, and there are other "first person" source of info - like the posters here on Airforums, Youtube videos, and our own tours of the campgrounds. While we haven't stayed in many National Park campgrounds (we usually rent cabins that often adjoin the campgrounds), we've walked or driven through many of them & seen the types of RVs that are there.

For example, we just went through Apgar and Fish Creek this summer, and both of them were chock full of enormous Class A motorhomes. Yet the NPS website says that of 178 sites in Fish Creek, only 18 can accommodate an RV of 35 feet in length. Clearly, longer RVs will fit more easily than their site indicates.

Similarly, since you mentioned Many Glacier - while I've been through the campground, I didn't make a list of which sites would be best. So, I can go to the NPS site & make reservations, where the page will tell me which sites are the largest. It says that 7 sites will fit a 30+ foot trailer, and I can look at photos to tell me which ones look the best - both for access, scenery, and privacy. If I can book a specific site online, I might as well book one I know will work - with a little room to spare.

So, even though I've been there, site-specific information can be pretty helpful for stuff I don't remember. "Campgroundphotos" has good video tours on Youtube & more info on their site as well.
DPRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:37 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Lincolnwood , Illinois
And... In the parks you want to visit and your TT can't fit, I'm sure that there will be many options to stay just outside the park in private campgrounds. Just unhook and enjoy !
Milo1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:42 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Lincolnwood , Illinois
Careful... Glacier nat'l park limits both the length and width of RV's traveling on going to the sun road . If you have to travel on that road to get to your site make sure your rig meets the guidelines. Check there website for more info.
Milo1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:31 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Just got back from Shenandoah and there are spaces that will fit any trailer, but the best views are tight for even a 25. I could barely fit my 25 with a place for the truck. Nothing larger would have fit. The overflow parking was a 5+ minute walk, as an option. I saw someone try to put a 28 SOB in one of the good view spaces---no go.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:28 PM   #27
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
x2 Larry. And don't even think about having any part of your truck or trailer touch the grass. I got Barney Fifed at Loft Mountain one time.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 01:04 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo1952 View Post
Careful... Glacier nat'l park limits both the length and width of RV's traveling on going to the sun road . If you have to travel on that road to get to your site make sure your rig meets the guidelines. Check there website for more info.
We love visiting Glacier Ntl. Park.
We set up camp at the KOA, full hook up plus pool, with our 30' AS and take day trips to see the sights. I for one don't feel the need to drag the trailer everywhere I want to see.
We have been visiting and staying at many national and state parks the last five years with our 30' without any trouble with the length.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote