Old 09-28-2015, 06:55 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Manheim , Pennsylvania
Travel in the winter from mid-atlantic south

We live in south central PA. I was wondering if many AS owners head south when winter has already set in, say January. Seems very perilous with unpredictable weather conditions. Might be nice to head south though for two or three weeks when the weather is worst here.

Youtube channel "Airstream Adventurers"
Jukeboxfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
You bet we head south. Keep your eye on the weather, you can go online and get updated road conditions from the DOT from each state you'll travel through, if you are so inclined. Granted, I'm in NC, but don't hesitate to head to FL in January. Depending on the forecast for heading south, I may not de-winterize stuff until I get further south....but one of the reasons I got my Airstream was so I could warm-up in the wintertime. Some of the best Airstreaming I've done has been late into the Fall and early in the Spring. It is only a minor hassle to blow out waterlines, suck in pink antifreeze, etc. While I wouldn't be heading up into the frozen northland with my trailer for a winter vacation, going south is a different matter entirely.

"SilverLeaf II" 2015 30' Classic
2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 CC w/6.7L Cummins
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
I have gone south towing a few time when snow was flying. I leave the trailer winterized until I'm south of the freezing weather, staying in a motel for a night if necessary. Then I winterize the water/sewer system the day I start home or when I get far enough north that it is needed.

I do not blow out the lines. I drain the pipes and fill them with antifreeze using a kit on the water pump.
2014 Silverado 1500 5.3L maximum trailering package (yes, I'm towing the 34')
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:24 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member
2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Traveling South in mid-Winter

We made a very trouble free trip down to Florida in early January of last year to attend Canopener. It was cold when we left home so we left the trailer winterized until getting to the campground at Topsail Hill Preserve. We spent the night at a very nice campground in Brunswick, Ga. The bathrooms were new and spotless, so we decided not to hook up to water and sewer and use the rest rooms there. We used paper products for eating and only hooked up to the electrical service.

While we were gone the lows dipped to 15 degrees at home, kind of unusual for North Carolina and we were glad we were in Florida. Our avatar is our Flying Cloud at the Canopener rally.
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:36 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member
1973 31' Sovereign
Columbus , Ohio
Juke Box. I hope to head down the last week of this year on the maiden voyage. Have you picked a spot to stay at for the winter? I am having a tough time finding a RV "Resort" that wants a 1973 sovereign turning their lot into a "trailer park"

Bauxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 04:45 AM   #6
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
What everyone else said.

By all means, go and do and enjoy.

Ours has headed south in January since 2008. Watch the weather, leave winterized, and you are good to go.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 05:47 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Like many others we head south in January. If you are coming down the I81, I77, I75 corridor you should be out of freezing weather during the day by the time you get into the Carolinas, unless we are having unseasonably cold weather. If so you should have daytime temperatures above freezing in Georgia. As others have indicated if daytime temperatures are above freezing, and nights are below freezing, you can safely dewinterize and stay overnight in your Airstream. The furnace generates enough heat in the belly pan at night to keep your pipes from freezing.

Traveling down the I85, I75 corridor northeast of Atlanta at Winder, Fort Yargo State Park has a delightful campground and is open all year. Stone Mountain Park, on the east side of Atlanta near the I285 beltway is nice but rather expensive. South of Atlanta, High Falls State Park is very close to I75 and a comfortable place to overnight.

When we travel down the I-95 corridor we often overnight at the Walmart parking lot in Walterboro, South Carolina not far from the Georgia line. We have stayed there several times with no issues.

Quite a few Airstreamers heading to Florida in early January (January 8-10 in 2016) meet up at the Canopener rally at Topsail Hill Preserve State Park in the panhandle. This year over 100 Airstreams are signed up for the event and the park campground is currently completely booked. However there are always a few cancellations in the weeks before the event so watch the park reservation site and the Canopener thread on Airforums if you think you might want to attend. In January 2012 we attended our first Canopener as new Airstream owners and have been back every year since. It is a great event and all Airstreamers are welcome. Here's a link to the Airforums Canopener thread:

Airforums Canopener 2016 Thread

Warning. The weather can be chilly or delightful in the Florida panhandle in January. Last year we had below freezing weather at night and daytime temperatures in the low to mid 50's but everyone still had a great time.
Airstream - 2008 Safari 27FB SE (Sweet Pea)
TV - 2011 Ford F250 Lariat, 6.7 Diesel, 4X4 (Brutus)
TAC FL-55 | WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 03:32 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member
1993 25' Excella
Dunn , North Carolina
We live in NC and are headed to Tampa in Jan. will not come back until April.
twrenn9097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 04:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Traveling in the winter months presents many obvious potential problems however, many do it including myself. We spent Christmas in St Charles, MO a few years back, on Xmass eve the temp dropped to 2 degrees ( unexpectedly) & we froze up but nothing burst just stopped working. Good luck with your venture!

Venice, FL
2016 FC 25RTB
2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote