Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-26-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari
Broomfield , Colorado
This weekend

It supposed to get to a low of 29 Saturday night in Breckenridge. The temperature will be above freezing the rest of the holiday weekend.

Should we not use water on Friday and Saturday for the fear of frozen pipes or should we be ok?

I just un-winterized and got the trailer, cough-cough Airstream, ready to rock n' roll. This is "supposed to be" the last below freezing weekend in the mountains, but this winter has been crazy in CO.

Any thoughts and or comments would be appreciated.

2004 28 W Safari
Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:40 PM   #2
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
I suspect if you run your heater any at all you will be fine down to 29.
Have fun, it is almost 100 here today in FL
regards,
Joe
Old 05-26-2011, 01:46 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHeadsRus View Post
I suspect if you run your heater any at all you will be fine down to 29.
Have fun, it is almost 100 here today in FL
regards,
Joe
Thanks Joe. I've got family in Sarasota, so nice. I can't complain too much, as I was snowboarding in tons of powder last weekend.

Take Care.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Another thing you can do is open the doors on your inside lower storage areas as this will help keep your plumbing from getting too cold.

We did this when the weather was in the teens at South Padre Island, Texas last February. No problems.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Rush,
Snowboarding in Breck? My snowboarding days began and ended the same day in Breckenridge about 15 years ago. Me and 5 of my ski buddies decided it was time we tried the boards. I was the youngest at 40. We found us an instructor and went to the rental shop for the equipment. When we came out, we looked like Floyd, Goober, Gomer, Barney & Enrest T from Mayberry.
Up the bunny slopes we went. We were on packed ice. Very hard. Three lasted about 15 mins after busting our butts. It hurt. Why I don't know but I stayed with it long enough to get turned loose and go up the hill. That was really nice, not crowded and had enough powder to be a little softer. Got where I could get down some blues fairly well. I was getting tired and thought I better quit to live another day. Did fine, got all the way to the bottom and some jerk on skis ran into me. I did a face plant on my elbows. Nothing broke but I was done with everything the rest of the week. Had to get xrays out there and when I got back home. The doc here said I was lucky but it took almost a year to get completely well. I stick with the skis now, but remember my boarding day well. Got where I could say knarley dude pretty good.
Have fun and stop by Gainesville and see us if your by this way.
Joe
Old 05-27-2011, 08:13 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHeadsRus View Post
Rush,
Snowboarding in Breck? My snowboarding days began and ended the same day in Breckenridge about 15 years ago. Me and 5 of my ski buddies decided it was time we tried the boards. I was the youngest at 40. We found us an instructor and went to the rental shop for the equipment. When we came out, we looked like Floyd, Goober, Gomer, Barney & Enrest T from Mayberry.
Up the bunny slopes we went. We were on packed ice. Very hard. Three lasted about 15 mins after busting our butts. It hurt. Why I don't know but I stayed with it long enough to get turned loose and go up the hill. That was really nice, not crowded and had enough powder to be a little softer. Got where I could get down some blues fairly well. I was getting tired and thought I better quit to live another day. Did fine, got all the way to the bottom and some jerk on skis ran into me. I did a face plant on my elbows. Nothing broke but I was done with everything the rest of the week. Had to get xrays out there and when I got back home. The doc here said I was lucky but it took almost a year to get completely well. I stick with the skis now, but remember my boarding day well. Got where I could say knarley dude pretty good.
Have fun and stop by Gainesville and see us if your by this way.
Joe
Nice Joe! I was actually at Arapahoe Basin, which is the only resort still open right now. It was an epic powder day. I'm sorry your snowboarding was short lived, but in my opinion, it's all about getting up the mountain and having fun, so I'm glad skis are still an option after a not-so-fun experience. I would love to go to Gainseville someday as I'm a huge Tom Petty fan and also want to see a Gators football game.

Take Care,
Rush
Old 05-31-2011, 09:57 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari
Broomfield , Colorado
No issues in Breck this past weekend. Our first trip with a 6-month old baby and two spoiled dogs was a success. Thanks for the tips everyone!
Old 05-31-2011, 01:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Just curious, is Trail Ridge Road open yet?
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:11 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Just curious, is Trail Ridge Road open yet?
I'm not sure, you can probably call RMNP to find out. The roads, in general, are clear in the high country.