Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2011, 07:11 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' Sport
Madison , Wisconsin
Tarp O.K. for Winter Cover

Just a note to let people know that we parked our AS in our driveway over the winter in Wisconsin with just a tarp (good quality) over her and she survived without any markings just fine.

I taped over the extra eyelets with tarp tape to make sure it did not scratch her. Checked her weekly and made it through a pretty hardy winter without problems. Gotta love Airstreamn'
boutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I thought about covering with a tarp too, but I read in my manual that is not recomended. I decided not to do it. IMHO, I think the wind caused movement might act like sandpaper, which might show up later.
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:25 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' Sport
Madison , Wisconsin
Tied it down tight and wind did nothing but let it breath. Just make sure you clean and wax your AS before putting the Tarp on.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:57 PM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I've seen lots of AS TTs with those little black semi-circles on them from being rubbed all winter. Heard some owners say that it was a b**ch to get the marks out, too.

But maybe it's OK with the tape, especially when the TT is in your driveway so it's easy to check on. Mine is a two hour drive away, so I say 'see you in the spring' when I'm finished closing it up, and the next time I see it is late April.

To each his own ~ Chaqu'un son gout, as the Rusians say.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:28 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
We had some heavy snows and very strong winds this winter, so if your tarp held up, you must have secured it very well.

My in-laws used a good quality tarp to cover their pontoon boat. They are about an hour north of Madison. I think it only lasted into the fourth year when the wind split it open. Then they went to the blue tarps and had to buy a new one every two years. The point is, make sure you check the condition very carefully before you put it on in the fall.

So, are we done with winter yet???
Old 03-19-2011, 08:45 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' Sport
Madison , Wisconsin
No joke, hit 50 today. I had to re-secure it mid winter but worked well. I am very happy with the protection it provided. Cant wait for first spring trip. We hope to make it out to Spring Green for the fourth of july.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:34 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
boutdoors, yes, it was pretty nice today. I did some spring cleaning in the garage...

We've lived in Spring Green for 12 years and I don't think we've ever been here for the 4th. Four of our kids live in the Waukesha area so we are usually down that way. But give us a shout when the time gets closer and if we're here, I'd like to see your AS. I've only looked at the vintage kind.... So, I'm guessing you are passing right through here on the way to Star Spangled in Richland Center? Or is there something else in the area I'm forgetting?
Old 03-19-2011, 09:43 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Stevens Point , Wisconsin
boutdoors,
Just watched the weather, better leave the tarp on through next week. Winters back!
Tim
Beaker63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage