Old 04-26-2007, 02:50 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Surprise , Arizona
There have been a few requests for more info about the tank heaters Airstream installed, so here's what I know. Sorry to say it's not much. They're made by UltraHeat (Ultra Heat, Inc. - Home), which manufacturers several different types, including tank heaters, pipe heaters, and elbow heaters. Airstream doesn't indicate which type is installed, but my hunch is that they're tank heaters. I can't be sure, because the tanks are enclosed in metal pans, and it would be a real hassle to remove one.

In any case, the Model TH-618 Tank Heater (probably the one on my trailer?), draws 6.1 Amps at a nominal 13.5 VDC. It's thermostatically controlled so that if it's enabled (by flipping switches in the trailer's bathroom to "on"), the heater comes on when the tank temperature drops to 44 degrees fahrenheit, and it turns off at 64 degrees.

The good news is that the heater isn't always on when the trailer's switch is in the "on" position. It only comes on when the tank gets cold. But the bad news is that it draws a lot of current while it's on. In a tank that's nearly full, I think it might take quite a while to warm the fluids from 44- to 64-degrees. On the plus side, though, once 64-degrees is reached (and the heater turns off), it would take quite a while for the temp to drop back down to 44. Still, if the heater is running for 5 hours during a cold night, it will consume more than 30 amp-hours of electricity. Something I'd definitely like to avoid unless I'm plugged-in to shore power.

Hope this info is helpful! And thanks again for the great tips for keeping my tanks from freezing.

Titus

Old 04-26-2007, 02:53 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Woodland Park , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrownrr
We have a 2002 22' CCD.... first year for the CCD line.... no tank heaters at all. Seems they were added in subsequent years, but I'm not sure in which year they were first added.
my 2005 22' ccd has them. jk

Old 04-26-2007, 04:59 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrownrr
We have a 2002 22' CCD.... first year for the CCD line.... no tank heaters at all. Seems they were added in subsequent years, but I'm not sure in which year they were first added.
The 2004s were the first year with tanks heaters. I had an opportunity to buy a new 2003 at the same time the 2004 was offered. I spent the extra money for the insulated and heated tanks on the 2004.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:51 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Has anyone had any experience with a water line circulating pump? Could possibly recirc water from the hot water heater in to the cold water line, maybe a small DC pump near the main water pump, or use the water pump itself with a bypass valve into the hot water line? Just wondering, I'm thinking about doing same in this old cold house I live in. Heat tapes can only do so much with out some circulation.
Perry
Old 09-10-2007, 06:57 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
...Let us know the current draw when you get to your manual. The UltraHeat website might say more if I had the time...
The UltraHeat website says 9.0amps (12volts) for the 40gal heater. The do offer a heater that is wired for both 12v and 110v.
http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:15 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Well it went down to 24 here last night. The usual 2:00 am plumbing check showed that the toilet wouldn't flush on the city water line. Switched on the pump and everything was fine. I went out and disconnected the city water and watched the Montana sky for a bit.

We like it very cool when we sleep, so we didn't have the heat on and it was 43 inside. I put the heat to 50, opened the sink and bathroom cabinet doors (so the heat could circulate near the pipes easier) and switched on the tank heaters.

Speaking of tank heaters they are 12v and my manual says they'll drain the batteries in 3 hours!

We're boondocking tonight in Yellowstone, but it is not supposed to be quite as cold.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:27 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo
Has anyone had any experience with a water line circulating pump? Could possibly recirc water from the hot water heater in to the cold water line, maybe a small DC pump near the main water pump, or use the water pump itself with a bypass valve into the hot water line? Just wondering, I'm thinking about doing same in this old cold house I live in. Heat tapes can only do so much with out some circulation.
Perry
you never want to put water from a hot water tank into potable water. you might want to try running a hot water loop along side of the cold water lines but it might be like running the a/c and the heater at the same time.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 05:07 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Huntington , Vermont
Don't want to hijack...

but I'd love to see a report on Yellowstone, Jim and Susan. This must be a perfect time to visit. If there is another thread, I've missed it.

Keep those tanks warm!

Bandit #14576 (WDCU/AIR)

http://www.RWChatelain-Woodturner.com
BDandTTs is offline   Reply With Quote