Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2015, 09:36 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB International
Storage Tips

Does anybody have any storage tips? Should I take out my mattress and seat cushions? I'm trying to avoid moisture buildup or damage primarily. Here's the back story and my plan:

I bought my 2015 Intl Sig 25FB in December and have enjoyed hanging out in it and working from it while it's in my driveway. However, my HOA has caught up with me and I have to get it out. I am planning to opt for inside storage that is NOT climate controlled. I was planning to do outside initially but after reading that you can't cover an AS without damaging the skin, I'm just going to do it "right" and baby my baby.

I live in South Carolina so it rarely gets below freezing except overnight and not by much when it does. I had the dealer winterize it so if there's a problem, it's on them. It's probably going to go in for a couple weeks, then out for a trip. Back in for two weeks, out for a few days. Then in again until the end of May when we go live in it for three (3) months.

Any reason why inside storage is a bad idea? Should I leave a window open to help with temperature fluctuations? Thoughts, advice and help are greatly appreciated!
chaseav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Sounds like you have the plan ... anything open will also allow "stuff"and things in if they are persistent ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:48 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Put in a 'de-humidifier'.. close the vents.. put in a fan to 'stir' the air... it can be a 12VDC model... just air movement ...

If in an enclosed area, maybe put the 'dehumidifier' outside the AS... but, you will need to drain often...

Put the 'sticky' traps out.. catch the crawly things... Put a bit of duct tape over openings on underside of AS... then observe for 'tampering'...

Raise the AS and set on 'stands' to suspend the AS tires off the ground....

Spray around all points of contact with the ground... to keep out the 'buggy' things..

Put one of those 'chemical' dehumidifiers INSIDE the AS.. and drain often..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Great tips. Especially on tire preservation. How do you jack it up? Are there jack points? I wish the "stabilizers" would accomplish this.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:18 PM   #5
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Start with 'level ground'.

I would use a good bottle jack.. between the axles, on the vertical plate where the axles mount. Raise the tongue as you go.. keep the AS level... Put the jack stands on the front and rear of the 'vertical plate'.. then SLOWLY lower the AS to the jack stands. Make sure when done, the AS is 'level'... load on both jack stands should be as 'equal' as possible.

To ensure 'level', use your iPhone App level APP and get it as close to 'level' as possible..

Tires should be 'above' the concrete.. Use your 'stabilizers' to support the 'ends' as you move about inside the 'AS' ..cleaning, etc..
Old 01-28-2015, 04:14 AM   #6
Rivet Master

So four jack stands needed? Can I be cheap and go with "custom fit" 4x4's?
Old 01-28-2015, 06:33 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseav View Post
So four jack stands needed? Can I be cheap and go with "custom fit" 4x4's?
I don't use four stands, two stands on the axle plates,(NOT on the axles), no problems since new.
Tongue jack slightly raised to help with melting snow.
Stabs down when working inside.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07760.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	231263   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09401.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	312.0 KB
ID:	231264  

ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
There are two labeled jack points on the trailer, behind the rear wheels. The exact points are marked with 2"x2" squares of aluminum riveted to the belly pan and labels pointing to them.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:49 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Wash Airstream.Winterize.Cover the entire storage area floor with a thick polyethylene tarp to prevent moisture rising from ground or concrete.Place Styrofoam tiles or wood under tires.Leave refrigerator and freezer doors open 1 inch.Disconnect batteries and plug in battery tender.Place dryer sheets in various locations thru out the trailer.Check for and remove any food items.Remove all bed linens.Shut off LP tanks.Remove batteries from smoke detectors and Co2 sensors.Lock storage door and drive away.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

I'll get under there and check on a dry day. I like the idea of getting the weight off the tires although this go around it wouldn't be sitting for more than a couple weeks at a time.

What are the dryer sheets for? Fresh scent? Or do they absorb moisture?

I'm trying to get the storage place to run me a power cord to the unit so I can hook up a dehumidifier inside. Once the threat of freeze is over I was thinking I might just set the dehumidifier in the kitchen sink so the water can drain down into the gray tank? I would then dump that periodically. Good idea or bad?
Old 09-19-2015, 04:31 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Follow up question here: I did get my indoor storage unit. It works great and costs plenty but my baby is fully covered from the elements. It's basically a full garage with concrete floor. Downside is that I have no electrics when I thought I would.

The question is, is it better for corrosion prevention purposes to have a fan turn on occasionally and create some airflow (even if said air is extremely humid and hot) or would stirring that air only further the problem?

A dehumidifier could be possible but the storage unit walls are not insulated so I'm not sure how effective this would even be.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:55 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The dryer sheets provide bedding for the mice family while they feast on the Zest soap left in the trailer.

Do remove any food, soap, candles.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:11 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
The dryer sheets provide bedding for the mice family while they feast on the Zest soap left in the trailer.

Do remove any food, soap, candles.

Yes, when I checked in my battery compartment recently, the mice were laying right on the bounce dryer sheet, which I put in pretty recently Filled the drain holes with steel wool, no more mice in the battery comp so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:48 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I have owned Airstreams since 1978. I have never seen any need to jack them up off the ground to "save the tires". Tires don't have that long a life anyway, around 8 years and they need to be replaced due to general aging. Jacking the wheels off the ground is not going to change that.

Thats my story, and I'm sticking to it.... grin.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 01:57 PM   #15
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Oh, geez.. ok, bring it by here and I will keep it live during the winter for ya! We camp year round!
Old 09-22-2015, 04:03 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
We store in an enclosed unit as well. Follow what everyone else has said, i.e. remove all foods, soaps, etc. We put the battery on a BatteryMinder, leave the fridge open, leave most cabinets ajar (not sure why, but DW says to do that, so we do), and leave the roof vent open. We have a MaxxAir vent cover over the vent. It seems to help with air exchange, particularly in the heat. Natural convection or whatever. Trailer is almost 2 years old, and still has that "new trailer smell".
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote