Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2005, 09:51 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
staying warm at 7000 feet

Let me start off by apologizing for posting this to the winterizing forum. We're not storing the trailer for the winter we're getting ready to go out and do some camping. Specifically to the Grand Canyon where it's already in the 20's at night and should be 50s during the day. What I'm looking for are your winter trailering tips. How to keep the water hose and the humans (and kitties) from freezing. We're not going to be gone for that many days so I was hoping for an alternative to wrapping the water hose. But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I should coil it up and store every night after filling the fresh water tanks. And how about those tanks? Will the furnace keep them from freezing at night? Are there any alternatives to the furnace? Things that are easy to install or temporary. I look forward to your replies as I dig around in the archives.
Thanks,
Ken
Old 11-03-2005, 11:15 PM   #2
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
We were in West Yellowstone in September. Overnight lows dipped into the mid to high 20s.

We just filled the fresh water tank, disconnected the water hose at night ... and set the furnace for 55 or 60. No problems at all. Enjoy your trip!

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 07:31 AM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback
Are there any alternatives to the furnace? Things that are easy to install or temporary.
Ken
Ken as noted earlier by Porky, disconnect the hose at night when things get below freezing. Run the furnace. The danger in using another heating source instead of the furnace is that you will not get air moving to critical areas. Airstream ducts the furnace to areas that are subject to freezing, so that air movement provided by the furnace is necessary.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 11:18 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Thanks guys. It sounds like we're on the right track. Bring the longjohns, fill the propane tanks and take many Airstream in winter pictures. I think I'll give the furnace a test burn before leaving too.
-Ken
Old 11-04-2005, 03:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Here's a picture that might get you in the right frame of mind
http://www.sierranevadaairstreams.or...ndex.php?p=212

Your furnace should keep you warm for a couple of days in mild winter temperatures. It would be a good idea to take a genset and top off the battery charge daily. Make sure the propane bottles are full, too.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote