Old 12-07-2010, 01:01 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Natick , Massachusetts
Spending winter in Pacific NW? Experiences? Comments?

Hi Everyone,

This is my 1st post here, so hopefully I've posted in the correct forum...

I'm just curious if it's possible, feasible, or comfortable to spend the winter in the Pacific Northwest in an Airstream. Let's say the Tacoma or Olympia area (maybe even Land Yacht Harbor if possible). The average daily temperatures seem reasonable enough, but I was worried that the rain/moisture/humidity might be an issue. If you have any experiences or comments on wintering in the PNW, please share them.

Oh yeah... I should mention that I don't actually have an Airstream, yet, but have always wanted one. My family is now split between the east coast and west coast, so I was hoping that I could spend summers in the east and then winters in the west. If that's at all feasible, I'll begin the search for an Airstream of my own.

Thanks for your help.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
I have wintered on the North Olympic Peninsula for the last 12 years. Of course I summer here also. It does rain a bit but water is a good thing, makes things grow and when you warm it it's good to shower in.

They only problem with your plan is once you spend some time out here you may not want to go back east.

Cheers, Dan

Old 12-07-2010, 02:08 PM   #3
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Dan is right, it does rain "a bit" up there during the winter, it's the main reason we're down south every winter after a lifetime of the "green and grey". I have heard the AS park in Olympia is rapidly converting to double-wides as the population ages and travel is no longer a option. Take a look and see what makes WA beautifull the rest of the year.

Department of Atmospheric Sciences—Current Weather: Northwest IR Satellite Loop
Old 12-08-2010, 09:57 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Natick , Massachusetts
Thanks for the replies. I wish I could make a permanent move to the Seattle area, but I would need to find a new job for that. I was there in August and it certainly was beautiful. I'll also be flying in tonight for a long weekend in Gig Harbor. Half the reason I want to spend entire winters there is to avoid flying as much as possible -- it's really become a pain.

I was hoping to go full-time Airstream'ing instead of renting an apartment 6 months at time on each coast. That way I can tour the county twice a year when I'm relocating from one coast to the other (all without flying, of course).

I just wanted to make sure that an Airstream was suitable for PNW winters (even if not completely ideal) before taking the leap. Thanks again and any additional comments are welcome.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:15 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Lacey , Washington
Direwolf,
My wife and I (and adult kids and Gkid) ive in the PNW (Lacey and West Seattle area). From mid December to about the first part of Feb it is grey and dark but the rest of the year it is liveable and most of the time very nice. My wife and I, too, are planning on going south during the "dark" periods. The LYH in Lacey is a great place to park the rig when visiting the greater Seattle area. A visitor is close (within a 2 hr ride) to most all the attractions and where can you go in the world where you can stay next to the tallest volcano in the lower 48 - Mt Rainier.

Mount Rainier National Park (U.S. National Park Service)
Old 12-08-2010, 09:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Direwolf

What is nice is that if this doesn't work out, you can always resell the Airstream (gasp). At least you will have tried it. We live right on the US/Canada border so are two hours north of Seattle and we wouldn't hesitate to stay in our Airstream any time of the year. Yes, the PNW does get some snow, and it can get pretty darned chilly, but nothing a good heater won't overcome. Just try to make sure the Airstream you acquire is one that has good insulation - eg, if it is a rebuilt, that the person who redid it put sufficient insulation in place. Don't know for sure how you confirm that, but just thinking out loud.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:48 AM   #7
FlyYakCamper

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
We just left a small park in Gig Harbor -- I think there were at least a half dozen Airstreams there around Thanksgiving.

And it was unseasonably cold -- around the 15 degree mark for a couple of days.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:19 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Natick , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atfulldraw View Post
We just left a small park in Gig Harbor -- I think there were at least a half dozen Airstreams there around Thanksgiving.

And it was unseasonably cold -- around the 15 degree mark for a couple of days.
I just returned from Gig Harbor myself on Wednesday. Did you stay at the Gig Harbor RV Resort? I wanted to check it out while I was there, but never had a spare moment. All of the reviews I've read have been favorable, though.

Thanks again for your comments.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:20 AM   #9
FlyYakCamper

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Direwolf View Post
I just returned from Gig Harbor myself on Wednesday. Did you stay at the Gig Harbor RV Resort? I wanted to check it out while I was there, but never had a spare moment. All of the reviews I've read have been favorable, though.

Thanks again for your comments.
Yes -- it is formerly a KOA park, from what I understand. Cleanest showers I've ever seen.

Really nice people -- we were in space 13C on the lower part of the park. The park is divided into an upper and lower section -- I actually like the upper section, but if it gets icy, the hill can be tough to make it up and down.

The park is within walking distance of the harbor, the Hy-Iu-Hee-Hee, and downtown.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:09 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
1968 20' Globetrotter
Whistler , British Columbia
My wife and I live year round in our 31 International right across Jaun de Fuca from Port Angeles. While it does snow rarely, it is not a huge deal. We have a couple of small electric heaters that do a great job of keeping things warm and dry. The only thing I would prefer is to be in the wind less. We are about 15' from the ocean at high tide, so the awning is never open... It would be nice to have a bit of a "foyer" out of the rain. The wet, and temps are all easy to deal with.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:56 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I'm in Vancouver, North of where you want to be and spent a winter in my airstream with no difficulty. During a cold snap, the only trick was to keep the water flowing a trickle so that the supply didn't freeze. The furnace kept the trailer very warm, but you will go through a lot of propane. It would make life easier if you rented and large propane cylinder for winter so that you're not refilling the regular ones every few days.

Canada
AIR #11529
http://northvancouvermodern.blogspot.com/
Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - Mame Dennis
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote