Old 12-08-2008, 11:36 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
New Borockton , Alabama
Love the four seasons. When I lived in AL and TX, we bitched when it got down to 32 because its not supposed to be that cold period...but when I lived in Germany and now ID, we pray for snow so the kids can ski and the resorts can make money.
There is something to be said for a white Christmas. There's also something to be said for an early spring.

Randy 208-514-8950
Converters, Inverters, Monitors, EMS, Zamp Solar
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 01:48 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Snowbirds - pause for reflection

The winter scene photos are great, but this past weekend reinforced part of my reason for moving to Southern Illinois -- minimal severe winter weather. Spent the weekend in the Platteville, Wisconsin area where we had enough snow to cover everything creating a wonderful photograph, but once the wind came up drifts made driving more "exciting" than necessary. When I removed Sunday, my father remarked about the nature of the white and gray deposits covering my car -- they use more cinders than salt around here and he had forgotten what salt residue looked like on cars. The first time my 2007 New Beetle Convertible has seen salt or snow.

I had considered staying there until Monday, but the forecast was for rapidly deteriorating weather. Logged into their local news station and learned that the school where I taught for several years had dismissed 2.5 hours early due to the Winter Storm -- something that very rarely happens.

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:11 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
If you had lived in Florida in the 50's you might understand why we retired to northern Maine and never looked back. Florida bears no resemblance to its' former glory! With today's well-insulated homes and efficient heating systems, excellent winter road maintenance, full-time 4wd vehicles, and the beauty of the four seasons, what's not to like about living in snow country? With respect to Maine, we have no poisonous snakes, few, if any, poisonous insects, no cockroaches, no termites, no earthquakes of any magnitude, very rare hurricanes, very rare tornadoes - and great people (Mainers). Almost everyone in Maine, regardless of where they live, can be in wilderness within 20 minutes after they leave home, and, for most of us, it only takes 10 minutes!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:59 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
2nd Milestone - Minus 42 last night

Well, our little chunk of the world passed the -40 degree winter milestone last night - it was -42 this morning (no - that does not include wind chill). This is not a milestone anyone brags about - but it never goes by without a lot of comment.

So - what happens at -40 and below?

..... even the dog doesn’t want to go out
..... the car makes start-up noises that are frightening to listen to
..... tires become square
..... shocks don’t exist
..... car seats are cement
..... steering wheel doesn't want to steer
...... the only environmental sounds are cracks of protest from lake ice and trees in the bush

And - a not-so-subtle shift in perspective occurs ......

..... -30 feels positively warm
..... -20 is downright balmy
..... -10 is shirtsleeve weather
..... 0 .... well heck ..... it must be getting close to planting time

...... really ......

At this temperature and below the radio announcer likes to use the phrase “current temperature is -40 with ice crystals”. We call it “frost fog” - and it only occurs at these temperatures and below - and when it happens we don’t need a thermometer to tell us it is cold ....

For those of you who live far enough south that you have never savoured the -40 quality-of-life frost-fog experience then these pictures may just give you a taste of what you are missing ......

And yup - we still love it - a day like this in the shed making sawdust ..... followed by a slow-cooker meal that fills the house with smells and then gets topped off with an evening in front of the fireplace, martini in hand ..... well ..... it just doesn’t get any better ...... (but we did start to make our summer camping plans last night).

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4049.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	319.3 KB
ID:	73949   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4044.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	73950  

Bambi - 2002 (The Toaster)
Pathfinder - 2009 (The Buggy)

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:01 AM   #19
Rivet Master
1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Temperatures like that are why I never stayed in Saskatoon after graduating from University!
Cameron & the Labradors
Kai & Samm
North Vancouver, BC
AIR #11529
Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - Mame Dennis
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:15 AM   #20
Rivet Master
1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
As a Texan, it is sometimes very tough for me to fathom that there is an entire other country NORTH of Minnesota. I spent a November/December in Minneapolis one year, left before Christmas, and the locals told me that I should stick around for the cold weather-- it was somewhere between 0 and 10 degrees F the day I left!

You Canadians are a brave lot, that's for sure!
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:34 AM   #21
Community Organizer
2005 22' Safari
South Chicago , Illinois
With a wink and apologies to our Northern friends:

Winter temperature comparison chart:

50 Fahrenheit (10 C)
New Yorkers try to turn on the heat.
Canadians plant gardens.

40 Fahrenheit (4.4 C)
Californians shiver uncontrollably
Canadians Sunbathe.

35 Fahrenheit (1.6 C)
Italian Cars won't start
Canadians drive with the windows down

32 Fahrenheit (0 C)
Distilled water freezes
Canadian water gets thicker.

0 Fahrenheit (-17.9 C)
New York City landlords finally turn on the heat.
Canadians have the last cookout of the season.

-40 Fahrenheit (-40 C)
Hollywood disintegrates.
Canadians rent some videos.

-60 Fahrenheit (-51 C)
Mt. St. Helen's freezes.
Canadian Girl Guides sell cookies door-to-door.

-100 Fahrenheit (-73 C)
Santa Claus abandons the North Pole
Canadians pull down their ear flaps.

-173 Fahrenheit (-114 C)
Ethyl alcohol freezes.
Canadians get frustrated when they can't thaw the keg.

-459.4 Fahrenheit (-273 C)
Absolute zero; all atomic motion stops.
Canadians start saying "cold, eh? "

-500 Fahrenheit (-295 C)
Hell freezes over.
The Maple Leafs win the Stanley Cup
Fr. Guido

"We have just religion enough to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." Jonathan Swift
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:35 AM   #22
Rivet Master
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Got down to 25 here this morning ( + )coldest yet this year, and that's too cold for me. Glad you guys are happy up there, I don't want any part of it.

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."-- Thomas Jefferson
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:50 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Fr. Guido,

That is priceless - hope you don't mind if I use it.

Bambi - 2002 (The Toaster)
Pathfinder - 2009 (The Buggy)

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:09 AM   #24
Rivet Master
1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Guido - good list and pretty goshed darned accurate too.

We lived in Southern Alberta (the prairies) for a very long time and when we moved to the West Coast (near Vancouver, BC) we thought we'd died and, well, gone to heaven sort of. When we do get snow here it is fun for us and a reminder of what we left. When we were going back to visit our moms at Christmas we'd always hit brutal weather on the trip back. Not necessarily really cold in the old home town as they experience Chinook winds a lot but for us it was still very cold. For them zero was a warm day while we froze and they laughed.

It was an in the minus forties day without the windchill factored in that caused us to take the plunge and move West and we were done and gone within six weeks and have never regretted it. We'd love to winter down South but unfortunately health coverage isn't available so we winter in the best place in Canada to do so. We do look at envy though at our friends in the great Southern US of A though.

Now for that big mug of tea and watch the mole ruin my lawn. Time to help him go to sleep permanently I think. I thought they hibernated but this little guy is more active now than he was all summer. Oh well......

Barry & Donna
Life is short - so is the door on a '51 Flying Cloud (ouch)
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:34 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member
1988 32.5' Airstream 325
calgary , alberta
Smile weather

Hi everyone! Just a note to say calgary is -10c lite snow and for past rew days was plus 14 so it melted half the 3ft snow we had! just fixed snow blower so it should not be snowing!! betsy our 325 is in getting her new shine done, her upohlstry is about finished and hard wood is in the works she heads on he first trip south in march!! Can"t wait!! baileys and garlic for you folks to keep warm! Jonathan
jhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:27 PM   #26
Rivet Master
2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
-500 Fahrenheit (-295 C)
Hell freezes over.
The Maple Leafs win the Stanley Cup
Darned tootin' right!!

Thanks for the laugh
[SIZE=1]Michelle & family
[COLOR=Blue] 2005 28' International CCD
Mackhopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:02 PM   #27
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan
2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Well, we Atlantans are going to have our part of winter this weekend. The Man is predicting 55 hours below freezing over the next three days. The high on Friday is supposed to be 34, the low 15. The low tonight is supposed to get down in the low 20's. For us southern'rs that's cold! With our humidity, that brass monkey won't be the only one freezin' his you know whats off.
2006 30' Safari - "Changes in Latitudes"
2008 F-250 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab SWB
Family of Disney Fanatics
WBCCI# 4821
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:03 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona

Desert rats at play in Quartzsite AZ.
HIGH today 73F and SUNNY
LOW tonight about 40F

Jimmini :
AKA : TUMBLEWEED. Just an old buzzard with a itch to yonder.
Man has only those rights he can defend
jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote