Old 07-21-2011, 10:02 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' International CCD
Corbett , Oregon
Skiing this Winter

My wife & I want to spend this winter in our Airstream at or near a major ski resort in the west. I would like to hear from anyone who has done that and/or could recommend a year-round RV park....the more info the better!

Lochsa

Old 07-21-2011, 10:15 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

We too are skiers and have always desired to do what you are suggesting. We have looked at an RV park next to Whistler, BC and an RV park near Lake Tahoe. I cannot remember the name of the park near Whistler but the RV park near Tahoe is called "The 49ers", I think. I also talked to a man who runs an RV park near Taos, NM who said it was close to the ski area and accessible year around.
Hope this helps. I will watch your thread for more info as one of these winters we are going to spend skiing.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:21 PM   #3
Airstreamer

2012 27' FB International
Bellevue , Washington
This is hubby's dream as well as mine. To be able to spend the winter season at a ski resort - oh-la-la! I look forward to future posts as well.

In the meantime, once the slopes open we are up every weekend with our Airstream. In February we are going Catskiing and I can hardly wait!!

This post got me so excited!
Old 09-20-2011, 07:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Would love too!

We book a ski trip every year. We just booked a trip for our anniversary and New Years in Red River, New Mexico. We kicked the idea around HARD about taking the Airstream along for the ride. But after reviewing some of the past post about cold weather and the Airstream we decided we better not. Lots of people claim that an Airsteam is only a 3 season RV.
We might be brave one day and give it a shot....then again I like being warm.
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:33 PM   #5
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I know that our Airstream would be hard pressed to handle the winters up here even for a week or so. Maybe newer ones are better, though.

Lynn
Old 09-20-2011, 09:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I used to drycamp when I kept my Airstream at a campground close to a ski resort in West Virginia (Snowshoe). I was able to stay warm and comfortable, but I only ran the heat when I was using the trailer and skiing. I don't think it is reasonable to wet camp in an Airstream in really cold weather. You would use a tremendous amount of propane and I think it would be difficult not to end up with some frozen piping. The only way that this would even be feasible would be to install insulated skirting around the trailer (ala mobile home style).

Dan
Old 09-20-2011, 09:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Shasta Lake City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochsa View Post
My wife & I want to spend this winter in our Airstream at or near a major ski resort in the west. I would like to hear from anyone who has done that and/or could recommend a year-round RV park....the more info the better!

Lochsa
Mt. Shasta Ski & board Park... They sale their season tickets for $299 in July. Downtown Mt. Shasta City has a KOA... my sister stayed there one winter many years ago with my parents trailer. Not a large ski area, but a fun place to live in the winter...or summer.

Mount Shasta City KOA | Camping in California | KOA Campgrounds

Mount Shasta Ski Park

Come and see me at: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f185...-71804-60.html
Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:00 PM   #8
Airstreamer

2012 27' FB International
Bellevue , Washington
Our Airstream is a 2006 and when the furnace blows the warm air inside, it also blows warm air on our pipes. In addition we keep the hot water heater on as well. The most extreme temps we have been in have been minus four degrees. When we are skiing we keep the furnace set to 55 degrees. When we come back it goes up to 68. We do not full time. Last year we went skiing every weekend with our Airstream for about 3 months. We are now preparing for a cat skiing trip for one week in Canada and are thinking of back up plans should our furnace fail (Heaven forbid).
Old 11-07-2011, 09:08 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
San Jose via Winnepeg, Toronto, Orlando, Saratoga and Groton , California
Send a message via AIM to tyggeln Send a message via MSN to tyggeln Send a message via Yahoo to tyggeln
My wife and I spend every Christmas/New Years in Yosemite Valley. At about 4300 ' we may get a low of 10F up to 40F. We ski at Badger Pass. We keep the heat at 65 or so while we are in, but minimum while we sleep. Concerns: batteries and condensation. So generator or hookup to TV us a must.

You can keep warmer if you put insulating foam in the windows and skylights.

Do it!

Chris
2007 GMC Yukon XL SLT
"Where are my keys?"
tyggeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:02 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by J5MM View Post
We are now preparing for a cat skiing trip for one week in Canada and are thinking of back up plans should our furnace fail (Heaven forbid).
A cat towing an Airstream, now that would be something to see!
Old 11-07-2011, 11:37 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' International CCD
Corbett , Oregon
Thanks for the feedback...we've decided that 'wintering' with our Airstream is more of a challenge than we want to take on this winter. So, we've hit-the-road for up to a year and will be heading to the warmer climes!!!

Lochsa
Old 11-27-2011, 07:19 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tacoma , Washington
Send a message via Skype™ to purdytj
catalytic heater

Hi all,
I'm a "new" Airstream owner and have most of the furniture out of my 1974 Sovereign. The previous owner had the furnace stolen. I temporarily covered the exterior furnace exhaust vent with an aluminum patch that I riveted until I save up for a new furnace.

My question is regarding catalytic heaters: There is a heater to the left of my front door attached to the lower panel near the stove. How much heat can I expect to get out of the catalytic unit? I'm not expecting the back bedroom to stay toasty by any means, but can the catalytic unit keep the lines from freezing? Would it provide 'reasonable' heat during ski season to keep interior temps about 60 degrees? Any experience with catalytic only heating? It makes me nervous...

Thanks!
T.J.

RIP (http://purdygreatlife.weebly.com/2014-blog):
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 QC-LB 4x4 12-valve
1974 Airstream Sovereign
purdytj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:03 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
I'm no expert, but I believe the heater you have is more like a wall unit. That will only put heat into the inside air. The forced air heaters that are in the trailers, the one your missing, blows hot air into different parts of the trailer. Such as the vents in the front, rear, bathroom, and also under the floor that will help keep the pipes from freezing. It would likely keep the inside warm enough, but not keep the pipes from freezing. Enjoy!
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' International
2015 25' FB International
Milwaukie , Oregon
We live at the base of Mt. Hood and have lots of snow parks right in our backyard. I'm just really nervous to tow it through snow though. Went over the pass this weekend (without the trailer) and noticed campers and fifth wheelers parked, but didn't see any trailers. I'm worried about those slippery roads!

Monica, do you ever chain the trailer up? We have good snow tires on our SUV, but I'm really worried about the trailer itself getting away from us.

Camping in the snow would be a dream...we're just such newbies, I'm afraid to do it!

The Small Small Trailer
valmog is offline   Reply With Quote