Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2007, 06:54 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
atlanta , Georgia
Skiing in Steamboat

Hey folks - I'm mostly a lurker here, but have been doing a comprehensive restomod on a '69 31 foot Sovereign. I promised pics when it was all done and will fulfill that promise soon - maybe tonight. A couple of things to pass along first. To all the folks who have helped me understand the requirements for -11 degree nights thak you - especially Stephanie Eliason and 2Airishuman. To all the naysayers that claim having an Airstream in wicked cold weather will be uncomfortable - you're wrong. I'm toasty and comfortable here. I left Atlanta Dec 09 and drove through the midwest just after their first shellacking of ice - hustled to miss the second round and skirted a pretty massive snow storm coming through Denver on the 11th. Driving over the mountain passes was interesting, but felt as safe as anyplace I had driven on this trip - the key was to take it easy and be alert. I also have to thank Todd Coleman for some truly stellar advice on a variety of matters. Will send pics soon. Thank you all for informed and passionate opinions Cheers. J-
nunya001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 06:55 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
atlanta , Georgia
Sorry - Steamboat is as beautiful as ever - skiing is as good as it gets early season - more snow all this week.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:16 PM   #3
Renee

1964 24' Tradewind
Portage , Michigan
I'm jealous!
Congrats on making it to Steamboat, enjoy!
"20 years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Operation "Save Rudy" Strike Team (honorary member)
Felix'64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:12 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier , California
J---Steamboat is one of my favorite places to ski. Take a nice cruisen run for me and give us a occasional update on airstream living. Are you in an RV park? In the boonies?
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:54 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
albuquerque , New Mexico
heat source

are you using your furnace, or a catalytic or electric heater. I ski Taos and have been thinking of parking in the lot, but haven't done any cold weather camping yet.
joe3957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 03:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I love skiing in Steamboat. Take a few turns for me (I'd prefer them to be tele turns, but will settle for parallel )
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:03 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
atlanta , Georgia
Hey there - I promise I am taking/making turns for all of you very day. Sorry no tele - yet. Joe I am using my furnace and a small ceramic electric heater - going through a tank of propane every 3 days - maybe even longer. The ceramic heater helps dry the air and keep condensation managable. I am usin polar fleece curtains which aalso help. Bob I am at Steamboat campgrounds on the west side of town. I really am going to post pics soon.

J-
Old 12-20-2007, 08:20 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
1978 31' Sovereign
Mansfield , Georgia
Hey nunya001,

As a fellow Atlanta metro guy, would you please explain to us what snow is and what cold weather is really like?

We always had 12 different TV station sat. trucks stationed in the North Georgia mountians chasing any reports of a snow flake in Dec., but a snow flake never appears.
KeithC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:40 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
atlanta , Georgia
Well at 8 am christmas morning I was up to my mid thigh in lovely fresh light powder - snowing right now.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:48 PM   #10
_

. , .
hey nunya!!

good to read you are having fun in the snow...

but where the heck are the pictures!

i'll show ya mine from today....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/495759-post1161.html

click it for a larger view i'm in l.a. baby!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:20 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Seattle , Washington
Another winter streamer...

We're parked in Park City at the moment, on our 5th month of a year + long trip in our 31' classic. The temp. tonight here is supposed to be -10 -- and has been for several nights. So far, we're pretty cozy inside, but we're now seeing lots of ice on the inside of the windows (yikes!). It tends to clear out on the bluebird days, but not on the gray ones.

We were originally planning on making a tour of our favorite skiing spots this winter, from Taos up to B.C., but I'm worried that we'll spend most of our time dealing with condensation issues and freeze-ups and not skiing!

Also, with these last few days of extreme cold, our black tank seems to have frozen up .. are you using a tank heater?

Any other tips?

Thanks!
jmd5602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:22 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
albuquerque , New Mexico
no electricity

In the lot at Taos ski valley. I don't want to park in town, so the electric Cat and to a large extent Furnace are out of the question for me. Steamboat is beautiful have fun, I will be checking out a new Propane catalytic in the valley in thw next couple of weeks.
joe3957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 04:22 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunya001
Well at 8 am christmas morning I was up to my mid thigh in lovely fresh light powder - snowing right now.
Where is that "envy" emoticon?
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:38 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
We've been dealing with folks' freezing tanks for weeks now, the usual thing at this time of the year. We finally put together a "tips for winter RVing" on our website:

Monte Verde RV Park & Campground Angel Fire NM Winterworthy RVs

Lynn
Old 12-31-2007, 10:51 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Sun Valley , Idaho
Lucky you! Make some turns for us in that champagne powder and try and catch my daughter she is the really cute blond skiing around the Aspens with
snow up to her knees. Y'all keep on having fun! Yee Haw! & Cheers, Betty
Bettymsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 06:55 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
atlanta , Georgia
In reverse order - Betty I like you already. About winter temps, condensation, etc. . . I am using interior window coverings made of polar fleece, also at the suggestion of a much more experienced AS guy here i am supplementing my furnace with a small ceramic heater - he told me it helps dry the air, also running your bathroom exhaust fan helps. We've had several nights including tonight with temps in the -10 degrees and colder - some days have not warmed much but hopefully tomorrow we will see a little break towards more reasonable temps. I did nt have time to construct the skirting I would liked to have b/c i ran out of time and am only here for a month. I did however shvel snow around the base of my trailer and the four plus feet in the past two weeks has helped that cause. I am using electric tank heaters - additionally I have constructed a very simple re-direct of the furnace exhaust using heat duct work that feeds into a VERY well ventilated heat box beneath the fresh water tank (outside underneath the trailer) - it does not obstruct flow and uses heat that exists to a better end. Pics soon. Really.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:58 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
atlanta , Georgia
Also - before I forget, if yu're doing a build out or resto and can put in radiant heat floors absolutely do it with out question. Wish I had.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:40 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Surprise , Arizona
Here is a great blog post by one of my favorite airstream bloggers on winter camping in an airstream and ski areas. Winter Camping Airstream Style » Just 5 More Minutes
I keep this pinned on pinterest because I hope to one day have our old airstream redone to withstand many future ski trips!
dmusca is offline   Reply With Quote