Old 08-30-2011, 09:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
Woodridge , Illinois
Ski Trip Winter Worthy Globetrotter

Plan is in place to take family skiing in the GT. The following upgrades are to made by a RV shop

1. Tank Heater - for Water Supply Tank

2. Heat Tape on all exposed Interior water lines and wired with control panel

3. tune up to heater

4. install radiant heat for engineered wood flooring w/ controller

5. 2 new small portable heaters

6. Heated water hose / but disconnected overnight

7. Anything missing

aside from the usual, you are doomed, it can't be done feedback, has anyone RV'ed at a Ski area RV resort, lived to tell about, and is willing to share some practical advice.

I believe this is the future for Rving. Resorts out east, in colorado and utah have RV resorts near them exclusively for Winter Rving. It drastically expands travel options available, and is a perfect family RV activity

Thanks, Pat

IronGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia

Here's a blog about two Airstreams camping/skiing.

Easy Crepe Recipe on your Travel Trailer

my restoration & travel blog:
Someday'59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:39 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member
1960 24' Tradewind
St. Albans , Vermont
There was a First Ascent Airstream blog that outfitted an airstream for skiing. I believe it was a specially designed airstream but you may get some good ideas from it! Crists Kick off Ski Season in First Ascent/Airstream Mobile Lab
Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds.
2vets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I'm not a "fella" but...

One other thing to consider is condesation, it's a big problem with sub-zero eweather snow camping, mostly noticeable in trailers without "mouse fur" on the walls. Just 2 people breathing causes enough moisture to freeze on the windows into a layer of ice...not to mention cooking, bathing or more people (family ?) & everybody's wet clothes in a small trailer like a GT.

Most Airstreams especially vintage ones for the most part are considered 3-season trailers in thier construction - some of the moidifications you have made will help - but the insulation will probably be lacking.

Good luck - let us know how it works out for you ~

Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1999 25' Safari
Denver , Colorado
IronGiant, A couple of years ago we did stay a couple of nights at Tiger Run RV Resort in Breckenridge CO (very close to lots of skiing), but it was late fall, not snowy winter. Nice place, pricey (but better than hotels in the area), but very clean, wide, level parking, cable hookup, indoor pool etc ... here's their website if you want to check it out: Tiger Run Home Page Wendy
Jim D.
AIR # 56543 TAC# CO-10
StreamRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:25 PM   #6
Commercial Member
1967 30' Sovereign
Los Lunas , New Mexico
We used to run this place during ski season, and we required visitors to havfe four-season rigs. I sure wouldn't have wanted to use our vintage rig in those conditions, even though the tank is heated.

Son of a gun! The server still has our old document on "winterworthy RVs" out there:

WBCCI 21043
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:07 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member
1967 20' Globetrotter
denver , Colorado
I've gotta give you credit for being adventurous! I too own a Globetrotter and learned first-hand this spring that they are not an all-season camper.

On the last day of April I was traveling home on I-70 in Colorado and got caught in a winter storm warning. Let me tell you, towing a vintage unit through snow and ice that has your heart and soul in a renovation and thats nearly irreplaceable is no fun.

I got stranded on the top of Battle Mountain Pass for hours with near white out conditions and freezing temperatures. At one point in my journey home, I was sitting inside the Globetrotter when it was 7 degrees outside. That Olympian cat 6 heater won't even begin to keep you warm.

As tempted as I am to share your passion, I'm getting a hotel!

Good luck and post some pictures this winter.

star kitty is offline   Reply With Quote