Old 10-25-2006, 05:17 PM   #15
Harry P

1995 36' Classic 36
Elk Grove Village , Illinois
I do appreciate all the pointers and great advice from everyone so far.
Last night, the temp here in my driveway went to a low of 25. Everything in the rig was turned off, no heat at all. I went out to the rig at 6am to test things out and found the temp in the rig to be about 35. I turned on the water pump and tried all faucets, and they all flowed instantly. Water in toilet was still liquid.

If the forcast called for mid 20's for a few days in a row, I think I would winterize as a precaution. So far, so good. I will report if I encounter any problems. BTW, both holding tanks are empty, since I do not like the thought of water in the pipes leading to the drain valve, exposed to outside air and freezing much sooner.

Thanks again for all the great ideas!

Old 10-26-2006, 10:45 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
We just returned this past Sunday from a 4 week trip, Southern CA to Mississippi, up to TN, east to NC, north to OH, west to IN, IL, IA, MO, KS, CO, AZ and back to CA. We had everthing from heat and warm nights near Phoenix to a couple of cold days over CO mountain passes and many cold nights in the 20's. We would turn our furnace on with the thermostat set as low as it would go when day time temps were at or below freezing and at night except when we were in making supper or relaxing. This would keep inside temps near 50 on our 25' CCD. I did notice the contents of the black water tank being a little stiff when I lifted the hose to eliminate any sag when dumping one morning; noticed no freezing of the water or grey water tanks but they are heated by the furnace.

We operated for six days in MO with mostly overcast and rainy skies, four of the nights in the upper 20's without being connected to the truck or shore power. We only slept in the trailer so daytime electrical demands were low, night time demands were only the furnace. The two solar panels on the roof (260 watts nominal rating) brought the batteries up to 12.6 which was enough to keep the furnace working all night. Morning voltages were about 12.2. We were very pleased with how well it worked. We used one 30# bottle of propane from CA to NC but I believe we had a very slight leak past the teflon tape on the pig tail threads into the regulator. With that fixed we only used one bottle from NC back to CA in much colder conditions.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:07 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1982 31' Excella
1982 31' Airstream310
Moccas , herefordshire
I am coming from U.K and buying a 1983 airstream motorhome end of February in Arizona then driving to the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas do I need to worry about winterizing.The temp drops at night below freezing but not during the day.I will be living in the van any hints cwould helpful
Old 02-21-2007, 09:16 AM   #18
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normin storm
I am coming from U.K and buying a 1983 airstream motorhome end of February in Arizona then driving to the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas do I need to worry about winterizing.The temp drops at night below freezing but not during the day.I will be living in the van any hints cwould helpful
WOW, what a great trip! You should be fine. I would imagine you would start freezing before any pipes. As long as you keep the inside temps reasonable for your own comfort everything should be OK. We have had our AS TT out in the snow and what have you and did really well. Use the search function above for some cold weather tips. Have a wonderful trip!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 03:40 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Chateauroux , Indre
freezing

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryp
I'm sure that this subject has been discussed before, but I thought I would start a new thread. I would like to keep my 95 Airstream MH Classic 36 usable for some more cold weather trips. I will probably winterize in 2 to 3 weeks. I live in the Chicago area.

Question is, do you need to do anything for those cold (less than 32 degrees) nights while the MH is parked in the driveway to keep things from freezing?

At what temperature will damage occur? Has anyone had any problems leaving the rig watered at temps of say, 25 degress and up?

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.
My rig is static, I use it as a guest house all year around. When it gets below freezing I set the furnace to minimun and I also let the water drip a little from the draining valves both hot and cold water.If you keep the water circulating it has less a chance of freezing in the pipes, but then again I have a pump in my well so the water doesn't cost me anything!! Check my site on the link below.
Airstream
Old 03-09-2007, 07:26 AM   #20
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Good advice from everyone, BUT I haven't noticed anyone saying anything about the P traps under the shower, the kitchen sink and the bathroom lavatory or any mention of the water filter under the kitchen cabinet, if equiped. If the trap under the shower or tub freezes, it is one very expensive repair as the entire tub/shower must be pulled in order to access the trap to install a new one. So, .... if winterizing, simply blowing out the lines is not good enough. You also need to pour antifreeze into the traps and you need to remove the water filter.
GStephens
Old 04-01-2007, 10:16 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Talking who loves winter camping ?

Hi Folks,

This seems a little silly from where I am, sitting in the hot sun just
north of El Paso, TX, but I'm gearing up to write an article for
Airstream Life about winter camping. I've been assigned to find people
who have done this and talk to them about what it was like, why they do
it, how it feels to be snug while the snow flies. If you use your
Airstream as a base for skiing or snowmobiling or ice fishing or
snowshoeing, I would like to hear from you. Or if you just like to get
out there when the campgrounds are empty, and the tourists and snowbirds
are gone.

I'm not supposed to write about the hows of doing it, the nuts and bolts
of keeping warm and not freezing something, just the fun part. Someone
else is going to do things like how much propane you need or how to dry
camp in a winterized AS. Just the whys, and the whats.

If you have any pictures of winter camping bliss, I can maybe use those too,

Thanks,
Daisy ( Anthony TX/NM)
Old 04-02-2007, 09:22 AM   #22
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by someisgood
Hi Folks,

This seems a little silly from where I am, sitting in the hot sun just
north of El Paso, TX, but I'm gearing up to write an article for
Airstream Life about winter camping. I've been assigned to find people
who have done this and talk to them about what it was like, why they do
it, how it feels to be snug while the snow flies. If you use your
Airstream as a base for skiing or snowmobiling or ice fishing or
snowshoeing, I would like to hear from you. Or if you just like to get
out there when the campgrounds are empty, and the tourists and snowbirds
are gone.

I'm not supposed to write about the hows of doing it, the nuts and bolts
of keeping warm and not freezing something, just the fun part. Someone
else is going to do things like how much propane you need or how to dry
camp in a winterized AS. Just the whys, and the whats.

If you have any pictures of winter camping bliss, I can maybe use those too,

Thanks,
Daisy ( Anthony TX/NM)
Ah, just come up here to Angel Fire during the Christmas/New Year's season! We're full of insane people who use their RVs to go skiing. Personally, the only thing we'd do with our Airstream during that period would be to leave Fridged Ridge and head for warm country, but that's not an option (yet)!

I'll attach a pic or two for you.

Lynn
Old 04-02-2007, 03:17 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Or come to Michigan now! Just when you thought it was safe to go out...

Apr 04
PM Rain / Snow Showers / Wind41°/26°Thu
Apr 05
Few Snow Showers / Wind36°/25°Fri
Apr 06
Few Snow Showers / Wind35°/23°Sat
Apr 07
Few Snow Showers36°/25°Sun
Apr 08
Few Snow Showers41°/29

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:33 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I've used my B-van in cold temperatures. The first time was over Thanksgiving 2005, in Pennsylvania, and we actually got some snow. The lows those nights were probably in the 20s, highs around the 40s or 50s.

The second time was last March, in DC, when I was moving and was living out of the B-van for about two weeks. I did have to get propane delivered once, near the end of my stay. Similar temperatures, but no snow.

The third time was a little less fun - it was during a 2-day power outage at my house in February. Since the house interior was down to 40-some degrees, and outdoor highs were in the 20s or so, I fired up the generator and ran the furnace and an electric heater, and my cat and I slept in the camper one night. No water; it was still winterized, but then I didn't really need it anyway - the house still had hot water by virtue of a natural gas water heater, and I was just parked in the driveway.

For those trips, I had the furnace running, and I had an electric heater but didn't use it much. Other than the issues with winterizing (which is more than 10 minutes in my camper), I really enjoyed it and wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

To avoid having the hose freeze, I filled up my freshwater tank and used water out of there (for showers I use the campground's showers).

Someone on the B190 mailing list a while back indicated that they used to take theirs skiing - they'd drive it to the lodge, ski a while, then camp in a parking lot and use a grill to cook food for the employees. All of this in snow, of course.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:29 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Wow, how very cool !! Did you take that photo? and can you send them to me directly and as big as possible ?

We will be gone to press long before that, so I need to get info from you. Do you know anyone who does that ?. Failing that, can I interview you about them ?

Daisy ( some is good, in Alamogordo NM)
Old 04-03-2007, 06:35 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Do you remember who that was that skiied out of their B van ? Can you ask on the Bvan list for me? For anyone that does winter ?

Thanks,
Daisy ( Alamogordo NM)
Old 04-05-2007, 07:30 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
West Of Boston , Massachusetts
Could someone explain "oil free" air compressor?

Hi All,
I think this thread is excellent as a new AS'er.

After reading the AS manual then reading all this thread I still have a few questions.

What is an "oil free" air compressor?

Where do you purchase one?

How do you regulate the volume of air needed to blow out the lines?

My last question is do you have lift and lower the height of the trailer to get all the water out? Or does blasting it with air do that for you?

Many thanks,

Irish.

"It's Okay to have too much fun"

New England Unit WBCCI 8701
TheThreeSeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:02 PM   #28
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Most small compressors are oil free. It will say so on the tag somwhere.
When I winterized. I did not blow out the lines. I opened the drains under the trailer (they protrude throught the belly pan) and the tank drain. I then opened all the faucets and shower. Removed the hot water drain plug and opened the pressure reilef. Isolated the hot and cold from the heater. THis got most of the water out. I then pumped RV antifreeze into all the lines. and drains.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote