Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2012, 05:04 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbrook View Post
Hello Everyone,

After some very cold weather, I am happy to report that the greenhouse and airstream are working out really well. Our pipes and tank are not frozen and we are warm and dry. At -2 degrees, the greenhouse remained above freezing during the day and dropped below only late at night. The furnace worked a bit harder and we are looking forward to having a wood alternative in the near future. ....
We are really hoping the stove gets here soon!
Thanks!
I thought those little woodstoves were cute as a button... then I looked at the prices! You can buy a LOT of propane for $1100+ I'd just get a 250 lb tank and settle in.

Paula
Old 01-18-2012, 12:47 AM   #42
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Thanks for the report.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:32 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1977 20' Argosy 20
Hope to roam free again soon , North Carolina
We made it through a relatively hassle free winter! Things went surprisingly well. My wife and I have taken to the full-time Airstream lifestyle and think we are going to stick with it for a while.

Moving forward, there are just a few details that we will be fixing. Although a little nitpicky, if we can manage to fix these few things it will be even better.

Flex hose is a hassle to use to vent sewer gases. It will need to be a more stable semi-permenant solution next year as the slinky nature made it hard to attach for any length of time.
Being able to vent the greenhouse differently would be useful although not for air exchange so much as climate control. The airflow overall was nice and drafty but on those warmer days we roasted even with the doors and windows of the greenhouse open. I am considering fans. The straw bales were great but they are messy and maybe need to be wrapped so it doesn't constantly track into the Airstream. They are worth the mess since it never got below freezing under the Airstream but if it could be cleaner that would be better.

As spring really takes hold, I am going to have to figure out the brakes, axels and hubs before we can go exploring. My wife and I figure that it has wheels and should roll even it is for a stay on another piece of family land or a spin around town. At some point later this year, we will need to head towards Claremont, CA for several months so I can do some research for school. We will need everything to be ship shape for that adventure. Thanks for all the advice, guidance, concerns and support!
Foxbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:53 PM   #44
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Thanks, much, for an after-action report. I am one of many who look forward to more.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

1954 25' Cruiser
Marshfield , Massachusetts
Andrew...we knew you would make it and you did it with spirit and a sense of adventure. Get the silver palace rolling and have fun in CA!!

Don and Debbie....
54Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote