Old 01-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Nashville , Tennessee
Nice to get your good report. While I had/have no information of use to you, I have followed your thread and have thought about you as the temperatures have dropped -- hoping that you were fairing well.Thanks for keeping us all posted.

Debbie

Old 01-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The advent of the "fly" over the top of the modern camping tent virtually eliminates the condensation problems that the outdated canvas tents were famous for. I think the green house serves the same function.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1977 20' Argosy 20
Hope to roam free again soon , North Carolina
TG Twinkie,

Excellent point. I hadn't really thought about it that way. What an unexpected bonus for our full-time situation. It was unintentional but my wife and I are relieved for it to be working out.

Foxbrook
Old 01-05-2012, 08:56 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
I am going to attempt a pic post.
These are the ends of the greenhouse. Now the plastic is properly secured. This was the day we we built it. I should take some new ones of it completed.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbrook
Lol! The roller shades we installed really keep the chill from the glass to a minimum.

Hoping everyone is having a great start to the New Year!
Do you have a link to those roller shades? Are they some kind of special insulated type?
Old 01-05-2012, 09:58 PM   #34
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Foxbrook, the more pics the better. Rarely do any of these winter threads have much visual information. Not trying to invade your privacy, but it's of real interest to those of us who have this potentially in mind. Thanks for the consideration of it.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:29 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
There are major concerns here, carbon monoxide, a low level of oxygen, sewer gases, and who knows what else.

How are you getting the exhaust of the furnace to the outside of the greenhouse?

How do you ventilate the stovetop and oven gases outside the greenhouse?

How do you ventilate the sewer outside the greenhouse?

How do you know you're getting enough fresh air to run the furnace, range, and breathe?

What would happen if there was a propane leak outside the trailer?

Do you have large openings on both ends of the greenhouse to ensure a crossflow of fresh air, and they cannot blow shut, collapse, or become covered with snow?

doug k
Old 01-06-2012, 12:01 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Hello all,
I'll look into more pics. The roller shades are not specially insulated and were ordered online in custom lengths and widths from blindster.com. The dead space between the window and shade although not insulated or perfectly sealed really helps and also gives privacy.

The doors and windows open and the carbon monoxide and propane monitors all register zero. The greenhouse is not even close to being airtight. The windows and doors all have air leaks. When the wind blows outside around each end there are gaps and the air turn over doesn't appear to be an issue. Especially since my wife is constantly leaving the doors and windows open.

Venting... Everything is or will be vented outside the greenhouse. Currently the furnace is completed with intake and exhaust outside the greenhouse. The airstream is set closer to one side of the greenhouse for this purpose. The sewer gas is a flex hose that runs out although I'd like to set that up differently in the future. When the wood stove gets here the stack will also go outside of the greenhouse. The cooktop has not been vented yet. I am not sure how I am going to handle that yet. The carbon monoxide detector did register when the oven was baking at 400 although never any other times with lower oven temps to heat something. The stove top never register anything on the detectors. Maybe a convection oven on the countertop would work instead. I am not sure how I plan to proceed.

The windows and doors are framed just like a house. They can be latched open. There is certainly risk involved in this but I am hoping we can make it work. Thanks guys!
Old 01-07-2012, 10:09 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Foxbrook

Sounds like your Airstream/greenhouse is operating as planned. I view the co detector registering only when the oven is at 400 degrees is a good sign. I would not worry about operating the stove for cooking dutys only. Keep us posted as it gets colder and you get more experience.

Dan
Old 01-09-2012, 10:56 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Please Be Safe

Sounds like you're pretty well covered but have adequate ventilation. I'm glad to hear that the greenhouse breaks the howling winds but has plenty of leaks for circulation and refreshing the air.

It's critical that you monitor and watch your Carbon Monoxide monitors - make sure they are new and in good operating order.

Carbon DIoxide can only kill you if you exhaust all of the oxygen in the ambient air.

Carbon MONoxide binds with the red blood cells and builds up. You can have 1% concentration and after weeks or months of exposure be in very grave condition. It takes months to recover from carbon monoxide poisoning (if you do!). Even multiple transfusions may not help greatly because bone marrow may be compromised as well as red blood cells.

Keep on keepin on, and be safe.

Paula
Old 01-17-2012, 01:05 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Hello Everyone,

After some very cold weather, I am happy to report that the greenhouse and airstream are working out really well. Our pipes and tank are not frozen and we are warm and dry. At -2 degrees, the greenhouse remained above freezing during the day and dropped below only late at night. The furnace worked a bit harder and we are looking forward to having a wood alternative in the near future.
The snow slides off the dome mostly on its own and with a little help the greenhouse stays snow load free. The greenhouse also provides a place to shed boots and coats. We don't leave them out there because of the condensation but it helps us not lose heat, wipe feet and dry off the dog. As we get some nice weather, we have begun to paint the sticky interior walls white. Seems to be helping and really brightening up the place! Well, that's our news. I'll keep you posted. We are really hoping the stove gets here soon!
Thanks!
Old 01-17-2012, 01:23 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
We all wish you great success in this - stay dry and warm but most of all stay safe.

Keep up the reports.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:04 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbrook View Post
Hello Everyone,

After some very cold weather, I am happy to report that the greenhouse and airstream are working out really well. Our pipes and tank are not frozen and we are warm and dry. At -2 degrees, the greenhouse remained above freezing during the day and dropped below only late at night. The furnace worked a bit harder and we are looking forward to having a wood alternative in the near future. ....
We are really hoping the stove gets here soon!
Thanks!
I thought those little woodstoves were cute as a button... then I looked at the prices! You can buy a LOT of propane for $1100+ I'd just get a 250 lb tank and settle in.

Paula
Old 01-18-2012, 01:47 AM   #42
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Thanks for the report.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote