Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
laugh often & live simple

1970 31' Sovereign
Little Rock , Arkansas
Reflectix Insulation under the belly pan?

I am a proud new owner of a 1970 Sovereign that I will be full-timing in starting in the next couple of months. I know that I will need to do some additional insulating and skirting for the winter months. Has anyone thought of using Reflectix as an additional layer of insulation tacked up to the outside of the bellypan. Is this possible? I will be sitting stationery and not on the road for the entire winter so it blowing off during travel would not be an issue. I do want to drop the belly pan eventually and insulate the underneath more permanently, but I may not be able to do so before this next winter. Do you think the Reflectix on the underneath would do anything to help protect the pipes, etc. from freezing? I will also likely be skirting the trailer, but thought the Reflectix might be an option to increase insulation levels as well. Planning to use it in the storage compartments and backs of the closets as well.

Any thoughts from those of you with more experience will be appreciated.
littlebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:46 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If you're out in the middle of nowhere, and nobody will object, some strategically placed hay bales to windward of the trailer will help a lot. Simply place them near, but not against, the side of the trailer, away from the water heater and furnace outlets. They will create a wind break that will help keep the floor somewhat warmer.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Good advice above ^^
I'd google the difference between straw and hay and use straw.. like they use in straw bale houses.. apparently does not house insects and what-not.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
If you want info on how to winter in an AS, read this thread:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f459...yon-98031.html
Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:59 AM   #5

1970 31' Sovereign
Little Rock , Arkansas
Thanks for all of the helpful tips.

I really appreciate the great tips from everyone. I was concerned with being able to afford a nice quality weather skirting before winter, but you have alleviated my worry. I like the idea of a combination of the foam board skirting as done in the referred to thread (it actually doesn't look bad at all) with the addition of straw bales as needed. I will parked on my sister's property this year and it won't be a problem to use the straw bales. I'm still tossing around the idea of the layer of the Reflectix for additional insulation as well. Can't think of a reason why not to. If anybody else can let me know.

These sound like great cost effect solutions for the upcoming winter. Next year I will be able to afford to install a removable heavy vinyl skirting that will be easier to move with, but for now I think this will work. I will update this when winter starts to role around, and I see how things are working out.

Amber
Old 06-06-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
From what I understand, Reflectix works best for reflecting heat and keeping it out, but adds very little R-value. For example if you were parked in full sun in the summer, some cutouts that covered a few windows might be a good idea.

The straw bales or some other form of skirting as a wind break would get better results. If you are set on Reflectix, maybe cover a large section of the floor and then cover that with a rug. Not as a permanent installation but just for the winter to keep the heat in.

Its a camper, therefore it leaks.
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:28 AM   #7

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Pricing that much Reflectix may give you sufficient reason to be happy with foam-core and straw bales.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #8

1970 31' Sovereign
Little Rock , Arkansas
Okay. After the further comments and more research I'm happy to say that I'm going to skip the Reflectix for underneath, but keep the idea for under a rug in case my feet start to get too cold. Lol! Socks will probably take care of that part for me though. It is a relief to find an affordable solution. Now I am free to take care of some other updates this year instead of a high dollar skirting project.

Thanks again for the feedback. It is so very much appreciated. I hope as I live in my airstream I will be able to gain experience and someday pay the favor forward to other new owners.

Amber
Old 06-07-2013, 03:12 PM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebird View Post
Okay. After the further comments and more research I'm happy to say that I'm going to skip the Reflectix for underneath, but keep the idea for under a rug in case my feet start to get too cold. Lol! Socks will probably take care of that part for me though. It is a relief to find an affordable solution. Now I am free to take care of some other updates this year instead of a high dollar skirting project.

Thanks again for the feedback. It is so very much appreciated. I hope as I live in my airstream I will be able to gain experience and someday pay the favor forward to other new owners.

Amber
You might take the idea a step farther. An old tent-camper's trick might help. Get a Mylar space blanket. Spread it out under your mattress. Or if you use a mattress topper, under the topper but over the mattress. This will reflect your body heat back up at you, and help you sleep warmer. Back when I didn't mind sleeping on the ground, I used a space blanket under my sleeping bag, to good effect.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by blickcd View Post
From what I understand, Reflectix works best for reflecting heat and keeping it out, but adds very little R-value.
The R value of reflectix can be significant, but it depends on the install. The key to get the max Rs is a sealed dead air space on both sides of the Reflectix.