Old 12-05-2008, 12:24 PM   #1
bogie346

1968 30' Sovereign
flat rock , North Carolina
Question not sure??

Hello airstreamers. I have a 1975, 31' landyatch sitting in a campground in western north carolina. The temps have been hitting the low 20's & some high teens and this is only december. My question which I haven't found in any of the posts is this. I am running a great little ceramic standup heater which keeps the entire cab quite comfortable at around 62 degrees. I have the themostat, located in the rear bedroom, set for 55 degrees which runs the suburban furnance. If the cab is staying at a bearable temp. and doesn't allow the furnance to kick-on, I assume that the temp in the belly (water holding tanks) has to be much lower than that in the cab. Thus, I believe my tanks may not be getting sufficient heat to keep them from freezing? I have been running the furnance, anyhow, to make certain they do not freeze. The cost and amount of propane use, however, is mounting up! Your comments/suggestions are surely welcome. Jim

Old 12-05-2008, 01:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Your most vulnerable point in the water system is the city water connection on the side of the rig. Even if you are not connected to city water there is a SMALL volume water at that point in the system. That small volume directly exposed to the outside has almost no thermal mass and thus will be the first to freeze.

If you can not get some heat to that area I would keep a close eye on it as thing thaw because that is when failure will happen.

If you can do something in the next few weeks that would be great because I will be there just after the first of the year and nor looking forward to freezing temps.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:56 PM   #3
bogie346

1968 30' Sovereign
flat rock , North Carolina
no sure

Thank you for the quick reply. I have that portion of the camper (city h2o inlet) covered with heavy insulation and then another barrier around that insulation. I also have my main drain valve insulated and wrapped as well. I have the main water line and pressure regulator that is just inside the camper wall wrapped in a 110 volt thermostatic electrical tape. I also insulated all my inside pipes. My main concern, however, like I mentioned in my post, are the holding tanks that may or may not be getting sufficient heat due to the cabin being heated by the ceramic heater. Since the ceramic heater is keeping the inside of the camper at a temp of 60-62 degrees, the furnance thermostat will not kick on unless I manually turn it up past the cabin temp. Thus, there has to be a substantial temp difference between the cabil and underbelly. Thank you. Jim
Old 12-05-2008, 02:06 PM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Bogie,

We were in Black Mountain, NC two weeks ago with overnight temps in the 15 degree range and the tanks were fine with no furnace running. Like HowieE says the primary point of trouble is the inlet side of things. Keep this insulated and/or heat taped if temps go way below freezing. Even then I'd keep a constant eye on it.

If there's ever a doubt about your tanks simply dump them.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:41 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
atlanta , Georgia
if you are really worried you can install tank heaters that work well - slightly messy job getting them installed, but lots of peace of mind
nunya001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:13 PM   #6

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Cool Call Mike Rowe!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunya001 View Post
if you are really worried you can install tank heaters that work well - slightly messy job getting them installed, but lots of peace of mind

Mike Rowe is always looking for more opportunities to promote "Dirty Job" on The Discovery Channel.....

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:56 AM   #7

1996 28' Excella
West Bend , Wisconsin
Spade Cooley

Hi, appreciate everyone's comments. Live in Hickory NC, on the Henry River. Temps drop about 5 degrees colder down here at night. Have a 96 Excella, 28'. We have our water hose heat taped up to the city water connection, with insulation packed in the water connection compartment, also leave the water dripping when it goes below 20. We use a small oil heater in the back tolet and sleeping area, with the main doors closed. Set the thermostadt at 50 during the night when we go to bed to keep the furnace working. So far this has worked fine. Been fulltiming for 13 yrs, and froze once at the city water connection. Have a Lasko Ceramic Rotating hearter that we used at night until the temps drop below 32, then we turn it over to the furnace to keep the underbelly warm.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:26 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Northern Illinois , Illinois
Pcool3036:

You have been fulltiming for 13 years - cool. Have you been fulltiming in your Airstream for those 13 years?

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab CTD

AIR #7317 WBCCI #1772 TAC-IL 1
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote