Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2015, 09:46 AM   #1

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Carmel , Indiana
Newbie with 2015 Flying Cloud wants heat!

Just picked up our 25' Airstream yesterday. I am completely new to this. It's winterized, in the Midwest, and it's 30 degrees and falling this week. Can I turn on the furnace for a week here to pack it up before we head south? I tried turning on propane and turning on the furnace, but that doesn't seem to work. What am I missing here?
Davidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:52 AM   #2

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Carmel , Indiana
I guess I was missing time. Works fine with some patience. All ok. It's getting down near 5 degrees here this week. Can I leave propane furnace running to keep it at 50 degrees or so for 10 days without any issue? We are not sleeping in it yet; just packing it up.
Davidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Welcome to the forum.

I have no way of knowing for sure what your heater problem is, but I know you must have 12VDC to the heater (battery charged), and you must have propane to the system (check to see that the stove works).

However, if the furnace never attempts to start, I do know there is an option switch on the control board in the air conditioner that must be set in the right position for the furnace to work. This is on the systems that have one thermostat on the wall to control both systems. Sometimes the factory, or dealer forget to option the board correctly.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidel View Post
I guess I was missing time. Works fine with some patience. All ok. It's getting down near 5 degrees here this week. Can I leave propane furnace running to keep it at 50 degrees or so for 10 days without any issue? We are not sleeping in it yet; just packing it up.
Yes, but it will use a lot of propane so be aware of that.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Whoops, you gotta be fast on this forum! Out of date reply below.

Propane tanks turned to on.

Turn on the thermostat.

Set the thermostat mode to Furnace. Set the desired temperature on the thermostat.

At this point, the furnace should fire up automatically. You may have some furnace smell during the first several heating cycles, this is normal.

I assume the dealer went through the process with you at the dealership, and that all was operational at that time?

If you need to heat the trailer for a week before heading south, you might want to put in a space heater to keep the unit warm, assuming that you are hooked up to shore power.

Good luck with it!!
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:07 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
What does "winterized" actually mean? We have a new one too and live in the desert, which has been freezing this last few days.
Trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:10 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
Bob and Navy- previous boat owners? Nautical terms are rarely used but I find them very functional.
Bill
Trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:13 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer View Post
What does "winterized" actually mean? We have a new one too and live in the desert, which has been freezing this last few days.
Winterized means all the water has been drained from all the tanks, lines, and valves, and RV antifreeze has been added to prevent the lines and tanks from freezing and bursting.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:24 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
Tin Tin is right on target - 1. Check with the dealer to make sure they pre-tested all systems prior to delivery. 2. I normally get my propane systems stated up for the season by: (a) open the tanks valves; (b) start all the burners on the stove and oven - this gets the propane moving thru the system - leave them running (make sure the exhaust fan over the stove is open and running) You may have to use a long handled lighter rather than the "clicker dial" on the stove; (c) with the hot water heater filled with water, start it with the propane switch (not electric switch) - keep it running; (d) by now propane should be moving well thru the whole system; (e) now go to your control panel for the heat/AC etc. and do what Tin Tin said - set the control to furnace and then set your temperature (it may take several moments to kick in - an hour glass on the monitor panel will indicate a wait time). Heating like this will have a few things to be aware of: (a) if you are not hooked up to shoreline power, your batteries will drain fast (could be as short as a day or so), as they power the blower, which is electric (propane only powers the furnace); (b) keep an eye on the propane tank valve to see if a tank empties (red indicator on valve). The positive about heating your AS like this, is that it will help prevent your tanks from freezing. A space heater will not help with this. Another thing that you should do after the heater starts up, is to set your refrigerator to auto and start it up (without your shoreline power plugged in). Go outside to the vent for the fridge and listen for a clicking sound. Once it goes from clicking, it should go to a "shhhhhh" sound. The refrigerator is now working via propane. Let it run for about 10 minutes to get the system flowing. NEXT - TURN OFF THE STOVE, OVEN, AND HOT WATER HEATER. PLUG BACK IN TO SHORELINE. You should be set to go.
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:25 AM   #10
Rivet Master

To trailer……oh yeah welcome to the site

If you plan on winterizing I stress that you must use RV antifreeze (usually pink )

Learn how to drain, Learn how to bypass water heater so you don't end up using 12 gallons of RV antifreeze on just the water heater…needlessly

there is info with instruction on this site

Hover on "forums" next to "portal", and on the bottom right of the blue window, there is a whole section on the topic
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:51 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Gas pressure in a propane tank drops in sub-freezing weather. Make sure your tank(s) are at least half full, or your furnace may not light. Also, the furnace will likely flame out and fail to re-ignite when the propane level drops to 1/4 to 1/3 full. This is normal, and all that is required is to refill the tank(s).

If your Airstream has been sitting for several days with no gas usage, several attempts may be necessary before the propane burners in the refrigerator, furnace and hot water heater will ignite successfully. This is because the air in the system must be purged by propane flowing completely through the all of the lines. Otherwise, you are just trying to ignite air.

For reference, a single 30-pound propane tank that normally lasts an entire warm-weather camping season (or longer) will last only 3-5 days with heavy furnace usage in sub-freezing weather.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:31 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Mission Viejo , California
I always run the stove first to purge out all the air before turning on the fridge or furnace.
Bill Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:20 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Morton , Illinois
Can anyone explain why a propane tank fails to supply gas when 1/4 full and the weather is below freezing? I have experienced this condition. I don't relish filling a 1/4 full tank as our local suppliers charge for a full tank.
I assume the switch over valve switches when the tank pressure drops below its set point. And I also assume that the set point is reached only when all the liquid is expended. So how does the fill level have any impact?
Hobo
Hoboplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:53 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Think of it like a balloon. Blow it up at room temperature. Take it into a space that is much warmer. The balloon will expand. Take it to a place that is colder, it will contract.
While the propane tank itself does not change volume. The gas inside does. As the gas contracts the pressure drops.
You should find a place to have your tanks filled by weight. They charge by the gallon. Most truck stops and many RV parks use this method. As well as farm supply coops.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:04 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoboplayer View Post
Can anyone explain why a propane tank fails to supply gas when 1/4 full and the weather is below freezing? I have experienced this condition. I don't relish filling a 1/4 full tank as our local suppliers charge for a full tank.
I assume the switch over valve switches when the tank pressure drops below its set point. And I also assume that the set point is reached only when all the liquid is expended. So how does the fill level have any impact?
Hobo
Propane in the tank is a liquid and changes to a gas (evaporates) to supply the system. It takes heat to evaporate the liquid to a gas. When it is very cold outside and you are using a lot of gas, the surface area of the tank is not large enough to heat the liquid so it evaporates. The liquid actually freezes solid in the tank and the evaporation to gas stops. The lower the level of propane in the tank, the easier it is to freeze the remaining propane.

You can gently heat the tank (say with a small heater or a light bulb) to heat the propane and un freeze it until it is all gone.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:17 AM   #16
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
Propane in the tank is a liquid and changes to a gas (evaporates) to supply the system. It takes heat to evaporate the liquid to a gas. When it is very cold outside and you are using a lot of gas, the surface area of the tank is not large enough to heat the liquid so it evaporates. The liquid actually freezes solid in the tank and the evaporation to gas stops. The lower the level of propane in the tank, the easier it is to freeze the remaining propane.

You can gently heat the tank (say with a small heater or a light bulb) to heat the propane and un freeze it until it is all gone.

Just a little correction... Propane freezes at -356 degrees Fahrenheit, so you're not getting a solid chunk of propane in your tank. What happens is that as the liquid propane evaporates, it draws the tiny bit of heat left in the cold air out (same principle as an air conditioner uses, or the reverse of a heat pump) which does cool the remaining liquid propane even lower, which makes it evaporate slower, this supplying less gas to your appliances. The faster you draw it, the colder it gets, so the slower it evaporates...The advice on heating the tank does work. We use a water hose to safely warm freon tanks while working on A/C systems in cooler weather down here in Florida... You can use your torch set, but the pressure rises pretty quickly that way.

-Red, been to school on this stuff...
Old 02-01-2015, 11:09 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Gas pressure in a propane tank drops in sub-freezing weather. Make sure your tank(s) are at least half full, or your furnace may not light. Also, the furnace will likely flame out and fail to re-ignite when the propane level drops to 1/4 to 1/3 full. This is normal, and all that is required is to refill the tank(s).
I have not had an issue with this in 3 years of winter trailer living.
StreamlineAK is offline   Reply With Quote