Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-08-2015, 07:54 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
With just one person I get by with leaving the shower and bathroom vents open. I do notice that if I forget to turn on the fan while showering a LOT of condensation forms inside.

I don't ever let the teapot boil for a long time, or do a lot of indoor cooking - heck with my induction burner I can boil spaghetti or make soup outside.

When I've had guests I've definitely noticed that the moisture builds up fast even if they're just staying for a couple of hours. BTW if you wash out anything by hand, hang it outside or it's likely to mildew before it dries.

paula
Old 10-08-2015, 08:10 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandttimes View Post
Ok, I'll bite. How do you run the A/C and heat together.

George

Turn them BOTH on ...
Andy mentioned it in another thread, or perhaps this one, personally I think it's silly.
We have a very small dehumidifier, works fine, isn't noisy, no drain hose ...
https://www.eva-dry.com/dehumidifier...-dehumidifier/
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:20 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgtrakr View Post
Turn them BOTH on
Not in newer units with the electronic thermostat. It controls heat and a/c and only does one at a time.

Opening vents works fine for us, which is one of the reasons I switched to MaxAir fans- they stay open and run even in the rain.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:35 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
We always had condensation issues. Nothing we did with various vents etc helped much. Actually it didn't help at all. That said we sleep 5 in our AS (2 adults and 3 kids). I forgot the numbers, but I looked up how much water vapor a person exhales at night and it was surprising. I finally bought a dehumidifier, and we've had no condensation since. Best purchase I've made for the AS! It does make some noise, but we always sleep with white noise (we usually turn the AC fan on low and let it run all night). With the AC fan running you don't even hear the dehumidifier.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:53 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob D View Post
Add gas heat to the list of moisture sources. Running A/C and furnace together is a good idea. I enjoy cool sleeping weather so I open windows wide, put on an extra blanket and snooze away. Any breeze will keep the inside dry unless it is raining. With shore power, I use an electric heater which does not give off moisture as gas heat does.
How does gas heat put moisture inside any building. Gas heat must be direct vented or you run the risk of carbon monoxide. That is why both a trailer furnace and hot water tank draw in combustion air from outside and vent directly outside. If you are using an infra red gas heater you should have a window open to replenish combustion air.
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 05:26 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
In addition to venting with the fan off, What do you do about shades and curtains? Use nite shades? Day shades? No shades but use curtains? No curtains? We just had 10+ days of rain getting i to the 50's at nite and condensarion IS an issue...better when we left windows without curtai s or shades( except in the bedroom) and it made a difference- will try fan vent tonite....I love this forum!
Flying Gypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 05:53 PM   #27
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
At night we pull down the shades and close the curtains in the wrap-around windows, but the skylights and the oval windows that look upward are usually un-shaded. If we have electric and it's above 40F outside, we set the heat pump to ~60F and leave the vents open. If below 40F and/or no electric, we run the furnace at a slightly lower temp and still leave the vents open a bit.

Your mileage may vary depending how many folks are in the trailer, how cold it is outside, how humid the air is, and how low you're willing to set the thermostat.

We also have a pair of what we call "Liberace Robes" which are actually fake sheepskins. They are wonderful for wearing about the trailer over our shoulders while relaxing, and for tossing on the bed for those long cold nights. Product Categories FAUX FUR THROWS |

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:56 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
We leave the bathroom window open 3" all the time while camping.

If its cold we use a cube heater set on low in the middle of the trailer pointed toward the bathroom.

It works like a charm and no condensation.

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:33 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Have been using the Eva-dry 1100 since camping in Oregon last year along with releasing all the latches on all the windows to help with camping in wet weather with 2dogs and 2 adults. Seems to be working while we camp on Vancouver Island.
Releasing the latches seems to stop all the moisture that accumulated in the window channels before my better half suggested it after last years fall Oregon trip.
While hooked up we run the heat pump which we have found totally dries out the condensation along with the eva-dry 1100 during the day.

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 06:14 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
YAY! Opened the vent and no condensation this AM....thx for the tips!
Flying Gypsies is offline   Reply With Quote