Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2007, 07:20 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesch
Had a little teaser at 2:45 PM but I think it as finally started to come down now.
Our Saturday snow is pasting New England right now. I was sharing info with a new member from southern Wisconsin a week ago. They picked up their new Airstream out east this weekend. It will be good to hear that they played it safe and got home all the same.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:18 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
I moved to Minnesota in 1970 so enjoyed that decade of super cold and blizzards, de rigueur snowmobile suits, long johns and auto tank heaters. Lately Minnesota has seemed rather mild to me considering Lake Minnetonka was open almost until the new year last winter and almost ruined the On It and In It polar plunge on New Year's day.

New Year's Day Plunge into Lake Minnetonka

The first real snow of the season was more than welcome. It wasn't quite enough for snowshoeing but another couple of inches may come tomorrow. I only have about 400 lineal feet of driveway to plow. I have a service come in and clear it with a Bobcat. The driveway was clear and the roads were plowed before I got up yesterday morning.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:25 AM   #23
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
I'm thinking of planting palm trees if the last 10 years are any indication. Winter has moderated a lot!
Don't plant those palm trees too soon! On the south side of the Twin Cities, (the warm side that is), We got a good 8 inches topped off with sleet and freezing rain. I plowed all yesterday morning. 4 degrees F this morning and more snow coming tomorrow.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:56 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Duluth , Minnesota
Hey Guys,

Had about the same 18" at our place ( High area just outside of Duluth) like Tom. We're native Minnesotans and love the change of season. To those who can't imagine it... Imagine this with me.... There is nothing like a late night stroll through the woods on snowshoes with a clear sky and giant moon shining in the sky. At some point I find myself stopping and just standing absolutely still... tehn hold my breath to hear absolute silence in the woods. It is an amazing thing today to hear absolutely nothing at all. Then to hear a gentle wind brush through the tree tops is almost impossible to explain. The bright moon shines off of the snow creating so much light that you don't even need any light to see the trail. The light from the moon actually casts shadows against the forest floor. When we get that kind of a still, cold, bright night, there's nothing like a winter hike. The cold air temps??? when you shoe in the woods you start by putting lots of warm clothes on, and then peel them off systematically as you walk on top of the snow... You actually generate so much heat, that you typically don't get cold! We use the old wooden "classic" shoes and wear Steiger Mukluks. Warm and dry! Check out the mukluks on their website Steger Moosehide Mukluks and Moccasins | Home and look at the tall moosehide boots. They feel like slippers (very light weight, but oh so warm). My wife used to have cold feet all the time when we were outside. NO MORE!

I realize it must sound crazy to anyone who hasn't had the chance to try it out... It is just a wonderful way to spend an evening. It's a whole new way to experience the outdoors!
skykingpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:09 AM   #25
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by skykingpilot
The bright moon shines off of the snow creating so much light that you don't even need any light to see the trail. The light from the moon actually casts shadows against the forest floor.
Yep. We take our black Lab for a walk down our drive, (1/2 mile), most every night. Last night was just way too windy though. Had to cut it short. Nights can be soo black that the moon makes it look like daylight out there. Hmmmm, does that make sense?

My only problem is having to move the stuff.

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 12-03-2007, 09:16 AM   #26
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
When I don my aluminum snow shoes I also don the synthetic snow mobil suit which crackles as you move. What I really like is my deerskin bomber jacket and a good stocking cap. I got my jacket from Ubber Glove Company. I also got two pair of gloves made of deerskin. One lined and one unlined. Really soft. I use the unlined ones for shooting. My bomber jacket is lined and with a high collar which I can turn up for the wind.

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 12-03-2007, 09:36 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Duluth , Minnesota
Makes a lot of sense to me! I'd love to introduce everyone to that kind of experience... The Sno-Suit sounds like a great addition, but don't you get waaaaaay too warm in that?
Old 12-03-2007, 09:38 AM   #28
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by skykingpilot
The Sno-Suit sounds like a great addition, but don't you get waaaaaay too warm in that?
Just unzip the front as you go. It's light weight enough so that it doesn't drag you down either.

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 12-03-2007, 10:14 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Duluth , Minnesota
Niiice. I use a light-weight Goretex jacket and a couple of layers of fleece. At -20 it still gets unzipped! Guess I'm just wired hot.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:19 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
I've given up cross country skiing for snowshoeing. I just don't have the strength in my upper legs anymore to enjoy skiing. I knew I was in trouble a couple of years ago at Cascade River State Park. The ski trail was mostly all uphill which meant sooner or later I had to pay the piper coming back down. I just couldn't control my skis. The snow was deep but very icy and crusty on the surface. That was it. Snowshoeing became more enticing after that. Our favorite spot for snowshoeing is the University of Minnesota Landscape Arboretum.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:43 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
We have 80 acres between Duluth and Two Harbors and have a couple of trails that we snowshoe on. We also go "off trail" to explore our property and actually got lost a couple of years ago...only for a short time...since you DO have your tracks to go back on .

Hope we get lots of snow this year...makes for "real" snowshoeing"...not on packed trails.

Suppossed to get a couple of more inches later this week.

Tom R
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote