Old 04-24-2015, 10:31 AM   #15
Rivet Master
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Paula, I am glad you and the trailer survived this.

I often think about same; the way the stars are lining up, I could end up old and alone, living in the trailer full-time. The possibility of injury and/or sickness is a knawing reality. As you reiterated, what if one becomes so sick during the winter that they are in a state of semi-consciousness/unconsciousness, and the propane runs out? Freezing to death is a real possibility. Even though the westcoast of Canada is considered the "California" of Canada, it can still get below freezing here. It is always colder inside the trailer (if all heat sources are off) than it is outside. The trailer could easily turn into a cold, heartless, aluminum tomb. Alternately, what if the same scenario happened in summer and the air-conditioning quits? Heat-stroke, dehydration, then death.

But, this scenario could happen anywhere. During my early working years, a co-worker phoned-in sick. We thought nothing of it, oh, she's got that flu that's going around. We never saw her again. The coroner said she vomitted in her sleep and choked to death. She lived alone. She had just moved out of her parent's house into her first apartment. She was only 20. Her parents were devastated. It was pretty hard to take.

"The reality vs. the vision" indeed. I am probably the worse when it comes to creating an Airstream Disneyland. Oh yeah, people die there too. I doubt if "The Happiest Place on Earth" exists anywhere, particularly if you are alone and vulnerable.

easily distracted by shiny objects
Fly at Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:23 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Having slept outside in sub zero conditions, al I can say is that with adequate blankets /sleeping bag one can stay warm even if the propane runs out or the power fails. Anyone who full times in the trailer should have a winter weight sleeping bag in their bag of tricks. A queen size down comforter folded over with you in the middle works well too.

Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 07:33 AM   #17
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I carry two bags with me. A mid weight fleece bag that is perfect for taking the chill off and a sub zero bag for emergency weather and/or equipment failure. Curse of being a life long all season camper and Boy Scout "Be Prepared".
WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:28 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
The EB came with a down comforter. I used it... but you still have to get UP and poking your warm nose out from under the comforter is bbrrrrr.

The new Avion will be my winter home. It will probably live in Florida over the winter, and I'll be in it. When I finally break down and retire, AZ on NM will be the final destination.

For the mean time, I'll keep the Eddie Bauer and travel fairly extensively in the other three seasons, with the Avion as my mountain home. It will have to go to the Meadows of Dan or some other campground since Va. Highland Haven isn't open to close cousins.
Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:13 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari FB SE
St Paul , MN
Heated mattress pad with another pad over it to keep it cozy and Smart-Wool or Keen wool socks (check % of wool over 75). Turn on the mattress pad before you go to bed and it's so nice....! Flannel sheets - automatic coffee pot so you have a warm beverage ready to coax you away from the toasty bed!
Seemore2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:16 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Originally Posted by Seemore2006 View Post
Heated mattress pad with another pad over it to keep it cozy and Smart-Wool or Keen wool socks (check % of wool over 75). Turn on the mattress pad before you go to bed and it's so nice....! Flannel sheets - automatic coffee pot so you have a warm beverage ready to coax you away from the toasty bed!

DITTO. Don't need it often, but when I do, it is sooooo appreciated.

(hint.....get one with independent heat controls for each bed occupant....don't ask me how I know)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote