Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2008, 07:28 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Salisbury , Connecticut
LPG Question from wannibe

I do not currently own an airstream, although I am actively looking. My brother owns a SOB MH. He told me there is an additive that is put into LPG in the north so that it doesn't freeze... As in, don't buy southern LPG as it will cause a freeze up in the winter in the north. Is he pulling my leg, or is he a victim of a running pratical joke....
proliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:34 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Propane freezes at -187 Celsius, that's -304 Fahrenheit.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
I'm living in Canada, eh. Where do I get the antifreeze?
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
I don't think we have to worry, eh, Richard??
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:07 PM   #5
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by proliner View Post
He told me there is an additive that is put into LPG in the north so that it doesn't freeze...
hi 'liner and welcome to the forums...

u are allowed 9 more posts before buying a 'stream is required....

i've read that the formulation for liquified petroleum gas (the p doesn't stand for propane) does change from season to season...

in part to improve the freezing point and for other reasons...

here is a VERY basic reference on the issue...

lpgas-wiki-fied....

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by proliner View Post
I do not currently own an airstream, although I am actively looking. My brother owns a SOB MH. He told me there is an additive that is put into LPG in the north so that it doesn't freeze... As in, don't buy southern LPG as it will cause a freeze up in the winter in the north. Is he pulling my leg, or is he a victim of a running pratical joke....
proliner,

The 'additive' to which you refer might be the ethyl mercaptan, which gives the LPG it's distinctive odor. Otherwise, it has no smell to warn you of a leak!

Pure LPG is often 'blended' with butane with the blend varying by geographic location and the seasons. Butane is cheaper than LPG, which is why it's used as a blending agent, but it freezes at 32* F, so you have to watch out when filling tanks in a warm (read South) location and then traveling to the cold, cold North! I get calls on this problem every winter when the Snowbirds go home early and lose the use of their LP appliances due to the large amount of butane used in FL.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:42 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
proliner,

The 'additive' to which you refer might be the ethyl mercaptan, which gives the LPG it's distinctive odor. Otherwise, it has no smell to warn you of a leak!

Pure LPG is often 'blended' with butane with the blend varying by geographic location and the seasons. Butane is cheaper than LPG, which is why it's used as a blending agent, but it freezes at 32* F, so you have to watch out when filling tanks in a warm (read South) location and then traveling to the cold, cold North! I get calls on this problem every winter when the Snowbirds go home early and lose the use of their LP appliances due to the large amount of butane used in FL.
So - do you have to make fuel/air mixture adjustments between the two fuels, or does the temperature handle that...provided you purchase it in the proper climate?
I hope my question is clear
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:27 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
When I was a boy, we had snow 12 feet deep, walked to school- uphill both ways- and it frequently got down to -304. But those were the good old days.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:44 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
Currently Looking...
Glenburn , Maine
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt View Post
So - do you have to make fuel/air mixture adjustments between the two fuels, or does the temperature handle that...provided you purchase it in the proper climate?
Dave
As a resident of the "cold,cold North" it's best to burn off your tanks by mid-Fall during bird hunting / leaf-peeping season and refill with some fresh, Northern-blended fuel. I fell prey to this problem on the way to Louisiana last year during a cold snap in Tennessee. It disappeared when I got to Mississippi...

No adjustment is required - just avoid the issue by having your tanks filled in autumn. The biggest part of the problem is when tanks are low and the humidity level is high just at or near the freezing point of water. To make sure I have "fresh" fuel, I use a gas thief arrangement to provide gas for a lantern and my BBQ. Even with 30 pound tanks, it is easy enough to use up the "old" gas over the summer.

wil

AIR 22828
TAC ME-3
Universal Address: 97XX5 QGG5Z
Longitude: -68.814136
Latitude: 44.894663
olddog299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:33 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Red Deer , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
I don't think ethyl mercaptan is added to LPG. Ethyl mercaptan is a whole lot nastier smelling than the leaking LPG I've smelled. It is added to natural gas for leak detection purposes though.

I've used propane down to about -10 without trouble, but it can get cold enough that the pure propane with no butane at all can still gel up. It doesn't have to freeze, it just has to get cold enough that it will liquify without any compression at all.
canadianguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:40 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, according to the link 2air posted, [post #5] "A powerful odorant, Ethanethiol" is used for propane.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:59 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Quote:
Butane is cheaper than LPG, which is why it's used as a blending agent
Ahhhh, that's why propane costs twice as much here in Florida. Twice the profit!

Local RV places are up to $4 for bulk fill. Propane distributors are closer to $5.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:03 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt View Post
Dave
NOPE!

No adjustments are necessary to your air/fuel mix to accomodate alternative LP blends.

Glad I'm in the Pac NW now, where LP is $2.49-2.79 a gallon and I need a double tank fill.

What's with FL anyway? Diesel was consistently $.40-.50/ga,llon above premium. Here in OR, it's between a dime and a quarter more.

I STILL think it's a CONSPIRACY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote