Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Land Yacht Harbor Park

I have been a member of this forum for many years and have used it as a means of communicating information and as a means of gathering thoughts and ideas. It along with several other forums is the repository of wisdom, humor and sometimes controversial discussion.
So now we are spending a lot of time in our Airstream at Land Yacht Harbor here in beautiful Melbourne, FL. This is an Airstream "only" park for retired 50 and older owners of Airstreams. If you have never been here and want a great place to spend a day, week, month or the winter at an extremely reasonable rate check us out.
You can ride a bike to the ocean, buy gourmet foods to cook or eat at excellent restaurants. There are concert venues, great shopping and just a neat place to reside.
rtaylor537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
x

XXXX , XXXX
I was thinking of coming down to see the park until I read the no pet policy. Unless that policy has changed I won't even consider staying there. I am searching for a park to spend winters in. Sorry if this offends you but many of us have pets and people shouild know about the rule against our four legged Airstreamers.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:01 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
Yep, me too on the "No pets" rule. As much as I would love to come down and stay a while, I do not travel without my dog. If she cannot stay..I will find someplace that is a bit less picky about their guest list.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:16 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have camped at the Land Yacht Harbor Park on two occasions in the last couple of years. It is a really nice campground that we plan to visit again.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:17 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic
Windsor , Ontario
rtaylor537 : We stayed at the other Airstream Park in Melborne prior to it being shut down & at that time we (understandably) heard a fair bit of discussion about LYH.

Regretfully (as is the case with so many others..) our 20lb miniature schnauzer is very much a fur-kid to us...& so I'm afraid until you people wake up & realize that folks like us are a family that very much includes 4 legged members...we'll be taking our business elsewhere.
Join the Facebook A'34 group today !!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/206443579449380/
Paul Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:37 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Mystic Springs Airstream Park, Mc David Fl. just about 20 miles from Pensacola. Very quiet and pet friendly. Full hookup 30 amp $11. a day.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:46 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
I'm with the pet folks: I don't go where my 80lb baby isn't wanted.

If pet owners have previously abused the park, then tell those specific people that they and their pet are no longer welcome. There is no excuse, other than laziness by management, to turf out the well-behaved pets as well as the offenders.

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
It's an especially annoying rule for us - we travel with our cat, who you'd probably never even know was with us unless you saw him in a window. He's definitely not outside making messes or anything like that. (Also, we're under 50 and not retired, so it's a moot point.)

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
That pet thing cuts both ways. I just spent 4 days parked at the FSR, with an airstream neighbor whose little yapper yapped endlessly for hours at a time when its owner was gone. This from a fellow airstreamer who should know better.
I like dogs. It's the d.a. owners that I don't like. They're the ones needing the beating.
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Funny this thread should pop up at this time. We were planning on touring a few Airstream parks in Florida this winter and LYH was on our list until we read the pet restrictions.

It's their park and they can do what they want with it, but it's off-limits to us because of our dogs. c'est la vie.

Incidentally, we did spend a week at Traveler's Rest (former Airstream park) near Dade City and should caution pet owners that it is not really pet-friendly as advertised. (Barely) pet-tolerant might be a better term. Limit of two pets (of any breed or species), leashes are limited to 6 ft, retractable leashes are specifically prohibited, and areas where you may or may not take your pet are exhaustively described in several mutually-contradictory publications.

Self-appointed dog police will remind you of (their interpretation of) these rules while you are walking your dog. Bottom line is, it's a nice park, but if you have dogs, best avoided. We managed to enjoy our stay, but won't be back.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:07 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2002 27' Safari
Amarillo , Texas
It's Not The Pets

When traveling and if the choice is between two parks (all things being equal) I would choose the pet free park. Why your may ask. It is my free choice. The owners (management) have made their free choice not to allow pets. I suspect that the owners like myself love pets. It is the owners of the pets that are the problem. Having been the the business of providing housing for the public for many years, it is "always" the owners of those pets that are the problem. Pets just do their thing.
The individual that started this post is staying in a park that he/she beleives is worth a look see by other folks. I was taken aback by the response of some pet owners. They are also free to stay at another pet friendly park of their choosing. Enjoy.
DieselBreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:39 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
We have a 7 pound Persian cat that travels with us. Her feet never touch the ground. She doesn't like "outside".

We stayed at Land Yacht Harbour last year. We were there 2 days before we discovered the no pet rule. We confessed our sin, and they were very gracious and let us stay the rest of the week. No one ever saw her.

Having said that, I respect their policy. Some pets and pet owners ruin it for everyone. We don't like to be next to barking dogs. It makes Bailey nervous.

Land Yacht Harbor is a very nice park. I hope Airstreamers continue to support it.
WBCCI #1200
Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:45 AM   #13
x

XXXX , XXXX
I think I need to appologize to the OP and other supporters of this park. It was not my intention to open up this can of worms.
I saw the website and really liked the look of the park and the rates are extremely reasonable. It is only 40 miles from where I am currently staying and I was really looking forward to seeing it in person but then I discovered the no pet rule.
I can understand why the rule is in place but wish they would have rules against disruptive pets or irresponsible pet owners instead of banning all pets. My neighbors at this park are out of state people who are living here and working. They have two dogs, a small yapper and a sheppard. Both dogs are let out of the trailer for five minutes twice a day on chains to do their business. The "wife" doesn't work yet she never even walks the dogs off the lot. When she makes her daily pilgramage to Walmart or somewhere else the dogs bark the entire time she is gone. It is of no surprise to me why these dogs are restless. There are also several other little yappers located throughout the park and I surmise the same thing is happening to them as well.
I also saw one calorically challenged man "walking" his two dogs off leash while riding on his golf cart(I say on because he didn't quite fit in the cart). Both dogs did their business and he just ignored it and left it where it fell.
This is the kind of pet owners who spoil it for the rest of us.
So in closing I would like to say that if you are looking for a park in Fl please check out this place as long as the no pet rule doesn't affect you.
As a last note to the OP is it possible that you can mention my comments and the comments of others here to your park management and have them review their no pet policy.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
Airstream only park??? I was by there a few days ago and saw 5th wheels!? Are they allowing visitors without Airstreams?
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Maybe what you were seeing was some of those fairly rare Airstream fifth wheels from the 80s? Here's a link to one of the posts with pics of one of them:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f419...eel-81682.html

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidsgone View Post
Airstream only park??? I was by there a few days ago and saw 5th wheels!? Are they allowing visitors without Airstreams?
Old 02-19-2012, 09:17 AM   #16

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
You well may have seen some SOB's at Land Yacht Harbor in Melbourne. Here is a quote from their website, "Land Yacht Harbor of Melbourne has 304 sites with 50 sites designated for non-Airstreams, limited sites for 40' motorhomes, 5th wheels can be no longer than 36'."

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:02 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Wow for those of us whose pets and children have left home we cherish our free and easy lifestyle. We have discovered GEO CACHING and this is a veritable Mecca for that sport!!
"Do what you like, like what you do", a quote from Life is Good.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:30 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
We like Melbourne too

Paradise Park is another formerly Airstream-only park in Florida and allows pets. Very very friendly place, fun (and a little bit funky) golf course, and very relaxing for us to stay there. We liked it. It is near Punta Gorda, just north of Ft Myers. And not very close to much of anything else.

LYH is in a great location, we think. Short drive to anything at all. On the other hand, you have to drive to get anywhere at all. Not too great to us overall, but for east coast Florida it seems as good as it gets. We really like Melbourne -- nice town.

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:37 PM   #19
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtaylor537 View Post
Wow for those of us whose pets and children have left home we cherish our free and easy lifestyle. We have discovered GEO CACHING and this is a veritable Mecca for that sport!!
"Do what you like, like what you do", a quote from Life is Good.
That's your "official response" to get rid of my dog and go GEO CACHING. I guess it is meant to be that I never stay at this restrictive park.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:56 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

That is neither my response nor is it an "official response" just a statement of fact as opposed to emotion.