Old 10-24-2009, 05:37 PM   #15
Have trailer..will travel

2004 28' International CCD
1948 22' Liner
Oakland , Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to MsRivet
We go to The Keys every year . . .

Love Bluewater. It's out favorite place to go. We also enjoy Long Key, Bahia Honda SP & lets not forget Curry Hammock SP. Curry is a little hidden gem. Don't tell anyone. We just got back a few weeks ago from staying at Bahia and Curry Hammock.

Where the locals eat try:
Hogfish Grill - on Stock Island
Try the hog fish of course!!!

Keys Fisheries Market & Marina - on Marathon (end of 35th Street)
Try the lobster reuben or pan sauteed hog fish. Yummy!!!
***Don't tell anyone about these either***

HAVE FUN!!!

Ms. Rivet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BlueWaterKey '07 250.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	596.8 KB
ID:	89659   Click image for larger version

Name:	Long Key '07 69.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	229.1 KB
ID:	89660  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3179.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	237.0 KB
ID:	89661   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3550.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	289.7 KB
ID:	89662  

Old 10-24-2009, 07:41 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
I have been looking at Bluewater Key on-line and I am confused.

There are 2 sites named Bluewater.
Are they the same??

Bluewater Key RV Resort RV Lot Rentals By Owners

& Bluewater Key A luxury RV Resort

Bluewater Key: Resort

"We are not affiliated with Bluewaterkey.net or Bluewater Key Lot Rentals by Owners or Bluewater Key Clark Rentals."

What is the difference??

Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:54 PM   #17
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfowler218 View Post
I plan a trip to Key West in late November and early December. Will I be able to find an RV Park with space?
Possibly,
I would make a reservation. The state parks are through reserve America and Boyd's is the only campground near Key West unless you are Military.
Boyd's has some small sites so definately ask for the biggest sight you can afford. I put my 31ft Classic in a spot with full hookups that I though it would never fit.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:05 PM   #18

1948 22' Liner
Oakland , Florida
The difference . . .

The .com site covers reservations for the majority of the resort. The .net site covers the reservations for the handful of sites not listed on the first site. I am not sure why the .net site owners have their own web site. I have always used the .com site since they handle our favorite sites and the office is on property. It just depends on where you want to be. Try comparing the maps on each web site.

Ms. Rivet
Old 10-24-2009, 10:06 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We'll be at Key West for about 3 days in the first week of November—is it crowded that week?

Gene
Old 10-25-2009, 07:59 AM   #20

1948 22' Liner
Oakland , Florida
Yes. The lovely snow birds have migrated by then. We usually go during the September shoulder season. If you don't already have a reservation you can probably get a walk-up site at a state park like Bahia or Curry Hammock. These are a little drive from Key West. If you want to go to Bluewater $$$ (10 miles from KW) just give them a call. They will be glad to tell you what the availability looks right now.

And if you are going through Orlando and need a campground suggestion. Go to Bill Frederick Park at Turkey Lake. This is a City of Orlando park. Very nice and very cheap.

Safe Travels-
Ms. Rivet
Old 10-26-2009, 05:53 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
If you don't have luck with any of the sites mentioned above you might try Knights Key Campground.
Knights Key Campground - Campground centrally located in Marathon, Florida Keys

It's at the end of Marathon just before the seven mile bridge. The rates are high but not as high as Key West and they have a beach (rare in the Keys). Marathon is a great location for day trips to Sombrero and or Looe Key. Pigeon Key is off the old 7 mile bridge and is a really interesting place as well.

Carol
Old 11-11-2009, 01:22 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Ward , Colorado
I'm a "Conch" and a new "Streamer" although no longer living in Key West.
Boyd's is THE RV campground closest to the action on Stock Island next to Cayo Hueso. (Island of Bones). Sure, you can plug-in just about anywhere in the U.S. cheaper than here, and for good reason ; This is the only Caribbean Island you can drive to!
So much is missed by tourists when they visit Key West. Here's an island steeped in history much before FL was even settled and the only buzz word is "Sloppy's" to the throngs headed off cruise ships. Key West was at one time the largest city in Florida and the wealthiest city per capita in the nation! Hint: It has to do with the sea.
Why on earth would one of the wealthiest men in America want top build a railroad here? He is the reason we're able to drive to this distant Island.
There's a lot more under all those T-shirt shops along Duval so before you make that long drive down the Keys, do some research. Do not attempt the drive later in the afternoon with the sun's glare into your face. The bridges and traffic are going to be enough to deal with in good conditions. My suggestion is to get an early start from Homestead and meander your way down enjoying the scenery with the sun at your back.
Stroll into the San Carlos Theatre just up from "Fast Buck Freddies" and prepare to "Wow". Experience Pepe's, B.O.'s, Blue Heaven, El Siboney and Mamey Ice Cream made right there at Flamingo Crossing. (Mamey is made from the Sapodilla Fruit found only in the tropics.)
Ramon's "Rusty Anchor", within walking distance is also one of the best keys seafood restaurants.
Boyd's is a local, family-run site since the early 50's and it is a secure and well managed campsite. They even have a resident horticulturist who will decorate your site with tropicals for however long your stay! How many campsites offer this feature?
As for "Missile sites" or other hole-in-the-wall no-charge sites, sure, there are plenty of off road, in the Mangroves hide-a-ways still available. But be cautioned unless you're familiar with the tides and turn-a-round conditions on some of those lower Keys roads, you could end up paying much more than a Boyd's site.
And to quote "Doorgunner", "Oh, just go, whatever happens, it'll be a good time!"
Cal
Old 03-30-2010, 09:52 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Ward , Colorado
Solar Panel....

MsRivit :

Noticed you have a solar panel. Are you satisfied with it and who installed it?
Thanks, Cal
p.s. Both the "Hog Fish Grill" and "Marathon Fisheries" are also two of my favorites. I used to take kayakers from the Hog Fish boat launch.
Have you camped there at the site?
Old 03-31-2010, 07:36 AM   #24

1948 22' Liner
Oakland , Florida
Solar Panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamu2cal View Post
MsRivit :

Noticed you have a solar panel. Are you satisfied with it and who installed it?
Thanks, Cal
p.s. Both the "Hog Fish Grill" and "Marathon Fisheries" are also two of my favorites. I used to take kayakers from the Hog Fish boat launch.
Have you camped there at the site?
We have not camped on Key West or Stock Island. The farthest south we camp is Bluewater Key. Yes, expensive but we are usually down there for two weeks. So to help with the cost we spend one week at Bluewater and one week at a state park. Now that we are towing the A/S and kayaks down there and not the big boat with a 90 gallon fuel tank AND now we can bring the dog and not pay for boarding . . . its actually cheaper for us to go now.

As far as the solar panel goes:
We bought the trailer three years ago used. Panel was already installed. We think it does alright. The trailer is used a lot but we have not been been able to fully test the capability of the solar panel. Florida has many great parks most with at least water & power. This summer we will be going on a three week trip out of state. A good number of the places we plan on staying will not have power. Or any hook-ups for that matter. One place we plan on going is Cades Cove in the Great Smokey Mnt. National Park. No hook ups there. This trip will allow us to determine what the panel has to offer. I'll keep you posted.