Old 12-01-2010, 11:49 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1994 34' Legacy 34
Lake Village , Indiana
keeping MH avail for use all winter

hi,

have a '94 Legacy 34ft land yacht airstream motorhome.

this is our first winter with it and we are in NW Indiana and need to use the coach for work year round and be able to travel on short notice.

the coach will sit in our driveway next to the house during the cold winter days when it is not on the road, but it needs to be ready to go at any time for work. (i work on location in various states and always drycamp for short periods using the propane furnace during those times).

in winter i work in southern states, but return to cold indiana when i am not on the road.

i'm trying to avoid the full winterizing routine, trying to avoid antifreeze in the system and am contemplating just running a heavy contractor extension cord from the house and plugging one (or two) of these oil filled electric radiant heaters into the 110 volt coach receptacles and keeping them on low settings, and maybe a trouble light with a 60 watt bulb under the kitchen sink to keep things from freezing up.

i will dump the black and grey water tanks.

the temps can go down to zero or maybe 10 below a few days in the winter and on those days i would supplant my portable electric heaters by running the coach propane furnace on low.

i am not familiar with the manufacturer's insulation technique for the main fresh water tank, or the exact placement of more exterior water supply piping or insulation of the water heater.

what i want to know is if my idea is a workable plan for this particular coach or what would be better technique to prevent pipe freezeup given that i need the ability to quickly get on the road and use the unit within an hour's notice at any time in the year.

fast advice appreciated as it in snowing in NW Indiana today and i am running the furnace while i gather info. thanks!

Old 12-01-2010, 03:32 PM   #2
Blue Highways Explorer

2006 25' Safari FB SE
7,650' , Colorado
Get a portable compressor with about a 6gal tank and a blowout plug to fit your city water inlet and simply blowout all of the lines (30psi) and open all the valves before returning North from your work camps. Drain the tanks. It takes about 20 minutes. Don't hook up to any water until you get where you are going on the next trip.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
2000 Land Yacht 30(31') , Inverness, between the Withlachochee River and the Gulf of Mexico, Fl
Mojo's recommendations should work and it will save you a bundle on energy not used.
Only place it won't blow out would be dead end's of pex, if you have piping for future icemaker behind frig. By not heating you will have less problems of dried out plastics.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:37 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1994 34' Legacy 34
Lake Village , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Get a portable compressor with about a 6gal tank and a blowout plug to fit your city water inlet and simply blowout all of the lines (30psi) and open all the valves before returning North from your work camps. Drain the tanks. It takes about 20 minutes. Don't hook up to any water until you get where you are going on the next trip.

thanks for that mojo---please clarify for this newbie if you would.

1. can i "drain the water" just by by running the 12volt pump and empty the fresh water tank by running the shower, kitchen sink faucet and vanity faucet until no more water comes out.

2. then dump the grey and black water tanks.

3. then hookup the portable compressor and blow any residual water out the lines OR should i locate some fresh water tank plug under the rig and drain it manually?

4. and can i "empty" the hot water tank just by running the faucets on "hot" setting at the lowest faucet and then blow out any residual water with the air compressor, or do i need to remove the nylon plug on the water heater and manually drain each trip i make?

(i'm trying to avoid removing and replacing drain plugs every few weeks if possible)

thanks for the info on this---i'm looking for the quick and dirty method just to go from north (freezing area) to south and back and forth as quickly as possible on short notice.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:58 PM   #5
_

. , .
yeah, u will need to pull the water heater plug to empty the 6 gal tank.

one can use the water pump to drain the fresh tank OR use the stop cock/turn valve on the tank

also will need to put antifreeze in the traps, AND some into the empty holding tanks.

along with either blowing out the lines with air or using the lower water valves for each line.

the problems are compounded by WHERE u plan to go during the winter.

IF remaining is some frozen zone, draining tanks after each trip is problematic.

the valves will freeze and pulling plugs/blowing lines when it is 15 out is no picnic.

i have drained the water heater tank, only to see the water FREEZE all along the trailer side.

one could totally drain/winterize the plumbing and carry bottled water for trips and use a porta pot.

many rv parks are closed in the froze north winter months, so access to water for FILLING tanks becomes an issue.

your idea of keeping her fully stocked (with water) and warm at the curb works too.

it would be a lot easier (not cheaper) to do this if a LARGE lp tank was available to supply the furnace.

2 space heaters will NOT keep the plumbing reliably protected.

using the furnace may be spend-y for lpgas,

but replacing water heaters and cracked holding tanks, or repairing lines is costly too.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
If you choose to blow out the air, do it where it's still warm. The water in the pipes will freeze during the return trip north.

I fulltime in my classic MH. The trap to the shower is below the floor level & not protected by a belly pan. I have to keep a small dish soap bottle full of RV antifreeze right in the shower. This is so I can squirt a little down the drain to protect it between showers. Don't forget to check where your plumbing runs through any unheated areas.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote