Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-15-2015, 09:19 AM   #1
Peapod

1985 31' Excella
Dade City , Florida
Is this condensation or major leak?

We are in Indiana. Last night temp dropped from 50s to 30s, with a lot of rain. We are running the furnace. Today we have little droplets of water shining on nearly every ceiling rivet. Is this condensation or do we have a major leak? Temps have been in this range for a couple of weeks and we haven't seen this before, but we haven't had this much rain.
KenSanLan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Have you been opening any vents to allow moisture to escape?
Old 12-15-2015, 09:30 AM   #3
Peapod

1985 31' Excella
Dade City , Florida
We have one vent open.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:39 AM   #4
Peapod

1985 31' Excella
Dade City , Florida
We called JC - they said this is definitely condensation. Thank goodness.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:53 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenSanLan View Post
We are running the furnace. Today we have little droplets of water shining on nearly every ceiling rivet. Is this condensation or do we have a major leak? Temps have been in this range for a couple of weeks and we haven't seen this before, but we haven't had this much rain.
[QUOTE=KenSanLan;1723296]I'd expect to see condensation on the uninsulated windows before seeing it on the insulated ceiling. However, the rivets may be colder than the rest of the ceiling since the ribs aren't insulated and the rivets attach to the ribs, so it's possible that condensation would collect on the rivets as well.

There's no real way to tell if it's condensation or leaks while it's raining and you're running the heater. When it's not raining but the air is humid, if you still have drops of water on the rivets then it's most likely condensation.

I've recently added a small dehumidifier to my collection of appliances that I carry in my Airstream. At my latest WBCCI rally, last week, the air was humid enough for there to be fog nearly every morning, but we didn't have any rain. Every outdoor surface was dripping wet from condensation every morning, but inside my Airstream there was no condensation at all, not even on the windows. But the dehumidifier collected a nearly pint of water vapor from the air over a span of four days; that's a pint of water that would have otherwise condensed on the windows. This is the dehumidifier I bought: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o07_s01
I already consider it money well spent, so much that I bought a larger unit for my apartment.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:38 PM   #6
Peapod

1985 31' Excella
Dade City , Florida
Thank you, Protagonist, for the input. We are going to watch what happens when the rain leaves, and probably buy the dehumidifier. Thanks again - and by the way - if this shows up twice, forgive me - I thought I posted it once but it never appeared in the thread, so am trying again!
Old 12-15-2015, 04:16 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
I have the dehumidifier one size up from that one. I ended up with the Eva-Dry brand, but that come out of the same factory no doubt!

Eva-Dry 2200 ~$100 now, although I am sure I paid far less that that... it does well in our 25ft trailer and we mainly camp in the rain/snow...
Old 12-15-2015, 04:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Always learning, great post, great responses!
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:26 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Although we have clear-coat aluminum interior finish, we have nearly no interior condensation. Shows up, as Protagonist quoted, on some windows sometimes. After rain breaks I open windows and wipe out the moisture.

We've spent over a week in rains various times. We always vent fully with exhaust when showering, with range hood when cooking, and vent partially if just using the catalytic heater (Wave6.) We always kept a window cracked at least an inch and both roof vents open over an inch. If not too cold, keep both roof vents wide open (we installedl fan covers to allow keeping roof vents open in rain.)

Finally we installed a "Salem" or "Ram" vent in the low wall forward of our door so we can allow constant gravity venting of the trailer. We keep it open at all times except when towing. This has helped.

Good luck!

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
I never understood why people complain about pooling condensation etc. A dehumidifier isn't expensive.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:21 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Low Elevation = High Humidity

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenSanLan View Post
We are in Indiana. Last night temp dropped from 50s to 30s, with a lot of rain. We are running the furnace. Today we have little droplets of water shining on nearly every ceiling rivet. Is this condensation or do we have a major leak? Temps have been in this range for a couple of weeks and we haven't seen this before, but we haven't had this much rain.
This is a very common situation in humid climates... and even worse when it is raining and cool.

Other posts have the diagnosis. Interior humidity and outside cool creates condensation within the interior.

Cooking on the propane stove creates heat and in the process water vapor as a byproduct. Your cooking heats the water, it becomes additional vapor and condenses on the aluminum ribs that are riveted. The burning of propane creates energy, CO2 and water vapor...

Sometimes, you just have to run both ceiling vent fans, crack some windows open and run the furnace, temporarily. Otherwise your bedding will be damp, the pillow is damp, your clothes are damp.... and you become miserable.

We keep a "interior and exterior" weather station purchased at Costco. We know the exterior temperature and humidity, as well as the interior's temperature and humidity. When the humidity begins to climb... you need to run the vents and get fresh air heated, which lowers the interior humidity.

When raining... you have the worse of both options.

You would be envious camped in the Western USA when it rains the interior humidity is much lower than the humid Midwest. During nice weather the exterior humidity may be 18% and the interior... 3%. This is a real plus if you are camping in your trailer and above 3,000 feet elevation where the humidity and air begin to improve your comfort level.

Although at 8,000 feet you will find condensation on the exterior of the trailer until the sun warms the air and it quickly is gone. Go in DRY, and leave WET for the real high country. Thin air does not hold the water vapor as well.

Living at 6,000 to 7,000 feet elevation... you may not even sweat while working hard and not drink water. Later to find leg cramps and lack of water fatigue. I drink 48 to 60 ounces of water a day... just to keep hydrated. Now you understand why camping at elevation is something to experience.

When raining... open vents, crack open windows and run the fans. Otherwise... see you in the Rockies this Summer. It will be absolutely beautiful and the humidity is something you will notice immediately.