Old 01-06-2013, 08:26 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Insulation

Now that the winter has (finally) arrived in central TX, we're noticing cool air entering our AS while camping at temperatures around 32 F (at night).
Especially in the rear bed area, above the water heater and above the rear storage compartment, cool air can be felt between the mattress and the AS interior wall.

Is there an easy way to insulate this area?

Thanks!

Old 01-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I doubt that it is cool air entering your rig, but the air inside can become pretty cool in areas which don't get a lot of heat from normal circulation. Airstreams are not especially well insulated and with the metal outside, and metal ribs, plus the metal interior, they loose a lot of heat.

No really easy way to add insulation either. The bed area of some Airstreams that I am familiar with came from the factory with a fabric pad along the outside metal wall, from under the mattress to about a foot up the wall. That added a slight amount of insulation but mostly just made the wall feel warmer. I don't know if they still had that feature by '95, when yours was made.

I wish there was an easy answer to your question, but it is sort of the nature of the beast. At least that is my opinion...

Old 01-06-2013, 10:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jornvango View Post
Now that the winter has (finally) arrived in central TX, we're noticing cool air entering our AS while camping at temperatures around 32 F (at night).
Especially in the rear bed area, above the water heater and above the rear storage compartment, cool air can be felt between the mattress and the AS interior wall.

Is there an easy way to insulate this area?

Thanks!
Hi, I had the same problem. I did install some foam insulation sheets on the bottom side of my bed platform. [inside of storage area] But the real fix was to install two strips of "D" shaped weather seal on my storage door. The factory weather seal is almost useless. This totally sealed the storage area where the cold air was coming from. We no longer have this problem. The last day of our last trip got down to 18 degrees at night.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4288RS.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	224.9 KB
ID:	176183   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4289RS.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	214.9 KB
ID:	176184  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4290RS.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	176185  

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:27 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
We discovered an enormous draft coming from the windows at the head of the bed. I installed some carpet foam pad between the curtains and windows which eliminated cold air from moving downward and on to us. It also keeps the light out during the summer when we want to sleep in.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:13 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Unless there's an actual draft from outside, it's not cold air getting in, it's heat getting out.

One potentially useful and inexpensive trick: Get a thin foam pad for your mattress, if you don't have one already. In between the mattress and the pad, lay out one of those reflective mylar "space blankets." Reflects your body heat back up toward you, and you'll sleep warmer.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

"In a perfect world, I'd be given enough time to wrap up one emergency before the next one starts." Freefall2013
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:45 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Robertsunrus has the right answer. I also added 3" of soft black foam to the cover of the water heater opening. I like the Space Blanket idea.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:17 AM   #7
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

2005 25' Safari
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
I did what Robertsunrus did and it's good.
In the middle of dropping belly pan and insulating under floor which should improve things but it's a big job.
Keep a little ceramic heater going through out the day and night really helps and it's quiet compared to the furnace.
Temperature f'cast for -5c for next week so it's the water pipes that have to be kept above freezing.
Del
Old 01-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Classic
Loretto , Ontario
The windows are easy to fix. Install 3M window insulation film. The type with the film and double sided tape not the reflective film. Simple to install shrinks tight with a hair dryer and it works great Available at any hardware or big box. Stay away from the cheap brands, the tape wont come off when its time to remove them
Old 06-19-2013, 07:48 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Florence , South Carolina
I use the shrink film kits on a couple of windows and have the Reflectix for the large front window. I have 1/8" acrylic cut to fit over my 2 bedroom windows. Use Velcro to hold the acrylic and Reflectix in place. Huge differece in comfort in the cold. In addition I stapled Reflectix under the bed platforms and put 1/2" foam insulation board under the mattresses.
Anyway you can plug holes and stop drafts will pay off.