Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-28-2017, 09:30 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Insulating Jalousie Windows

We don't use our 1964 Safari that often during the winter for many reasons, but one is that even when we heat it, the drafty jalousie windows make it uncomfortable.

We have two jalousie windows, one has had its glass pads replaced and so seals a bit tighter than the other one. Still I've wondered what I could do to seal them temporarily but completely.

I've seen suggestions for sewing quilted panels and attaching them to the inside, and I've used the reflective sheets before in all the windows but haven't created an airtight seal with them.

I stumbled on a solution that I think will work well - using corrogated panels, the kind used for yard signs, attached by creating a velcro seal around the frame.
The panels came in 30x36 inch sizes from Lowes. I bought two panels and two boxes of 15ft standard weight velcro rolls.
The panels sit just outside the channel for the screens, I cut the velcro to length and attached to the border in once continuous line to create a good seal.
The panels just needed a couple of inches trimmed of the bottom, the sides were perfect. I attached the other velcro to the panels right along the panel edge and the mated the two sides to create a airtight seal.
I also attached my insulated reflective sheets before installing, but I could see where if you want to have more light, you could skip that.

I probably spent half an hour and it resulted in a much cozier and efficient solution.
The velcro may mar the paint/surface, but I think this was an easy solution to a problem that's been bugging me.
Hope someone may see this and us it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170127_155914.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	278840   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170127_155934.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	278841  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170127_155924.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	278842   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170127_160542.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	278843  

JitneyBead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Nice job fitting those covers J B.

This winter I've used clear plastic sheets, that came in a window sealing kit from the local hardware store.

Wow, what a difference it has made. Keeping it warm inside used to be like bailing a sinking boat. I even covered the rear fixed Windows.
This has made it much more comfortable inside.

The product I used is not easily removed and then replaced like yours.
But is clear, visually you can hardly tell they are there. And pretty simple to install with the sticky back tape of that comes with kit.
This kit was less than $20 and so worth it.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote